SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

Sorry,  but as much as I would enjoy watching us play the Goofs and Wisco every year ... is this even a question? There is ZERO benfit to UND joining Big Ten hockey. Not unless it involved a move to the Big 10 in every other sport. and even then I would say NO!!! The old WCHA was great, but so is the new NCHC. Big 10 or the Little 6 is a joke, and was a huge mistake. Joining that bad of a conference would only be a worse mistake.

• Upvote 1

If the Big Ten offers, the new President would jump at a chance.  The Big Ten offers the CIC, which I imagine we'd get at least affiliate status.  In addition, the Big Ten offering just a small part of the BTN revenue would be huge.  Not great for fans, but the President and Chancellor would probably demand that we jump.  Not saying it would happen, but the opportunity would be too good for UND.  It's kind of what Ralph dreamed.

If enough teams start a PAC12 league or west coast league (Ariz St, UNLV, Denver, Coll College, and two there PAC12 teams), we'd go there if given a chance, probably with Omaha.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

12 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

If the Big Ten offers, the new President would jump at a chance.  The Big Ten offers the CIC, which I imagine we'd get at least affiliate status.  In addition, the Big Ten offering just a small part of the BTN revenue would be huge.  Not great for fans, but the President and Chancellor would probably demand that we jump.  Not saying it would happen, but the opportunity would be too good for UND.  It's kind of what Ralph dreamed.

If enough teams start a PAC12 league or west coast league (Ariz St, UNLV, Denver, Coll College, and two there PAC12 teams), we'd go there if given a chance, probably with Omaha.

yeah, the 6 times in the B1G probably were enticed by profits as well -- where did that get them?

I would jump at the chance of us getting to play sconnie or the goofs every year or every other year as an out of conference rivalry, but the NCHC is one of the best conferences out there. I'd like Mankato to be in it, and maybe a bottom feeder (someone somewhere on this site mentioned that without bottom feeders, one of the weaker traditional programs might because a bottom feeder -- we don't want that), but thats it. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ClassB said:

yeah, the 6 times in the B1G probably were enticed by profits as well -- where did that get them?

I would jump at the chance of us getting to play sconnie or the goofs every year or every other year as an out of conference rivalry, but the NCHC is one of the best conferences out there. I'd like Mankato to be in it, and maybe a bottom feeder (someone somewhere on this site mentioned that without bottom feeders, one of the weaker traditional programs might because a bottom feeder -- we don't want that), but thats it. 

When the Big Ten expands (not if), the Gophers will have far fewer games OOC, and many of them will be the D1 cup.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

So we would shitcan 80 years of tradition and rivalry and fan passion for money? So we could play on Thursdays and Sunday afternoons? So we would have our games televised on BTN only after B1G football is over? And then only 1 night of series WHEN they decide to show us. So we can play second fiddle to all the rest of the crappy B1G schools? Are you fricken nuts?

Tell that to a President of UND.  He'll be making any decisions like the PAC12 or Big Ten, not me.

Shitcanned Mich Tech without a second date thought.  UMINN Shitcanned us.  We are powerless.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Apparently, we seem to have deluded ourselves into thinking that WMU and Miami fans are totally happy in the NCHC.  They want more regional rivals and don't yet know who St Cloud St or Mn-Duluth are yet.  They despise the idea of adding Ariz St or UNLV.

Let WMU and Miami go to the Big Ten. It won't hurt there fanbase it would be a good fit. Not for us. Atleast not right now. NCHC could pick up two other regional teams in Bemidji and Mankato. Who knows what Arizona State is going to do and I'm believing this UNLV talk just as much as I was believing the Moorhead State talk. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If its just an offer for hockey the the answer should be a resounding... NAY NAY A THOUSAND TIMES NAY! BIgten hockey is absolutely pitiful, and the UND could only lose by joining such a pathetic hockey leauge. If however the offer was for full membership into the Big10 then UND should at least entertain the offer but it still probably wouldn't be in best interests of UND athletics.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Sorry,  but as much as I would enjoy watching us play the Goofs and Wisco every year ... is this even a question? There is ZERO benfit to UND joining Big Ten hockey. Not unless it involved a move to the Big 10 in every other sport. and even then I would say NO!!! The old WCHA was great, but so is the new NCHC. Big 10 or the Little 6 is a joke, and was a huge mistake. Joining that bad of a conference would only be a worse mistake.

Even the new WCHA is better than the Big10.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

#uck and no! Let Minnesota and Michigan alternate as conference champions, followed by the annual circle jerk with banners to celebrate.  Their league sucks, let them fix it.  While the prestigious B1G annually sends one team to the NCAA's, much smaller and more 'inferior' schools get invites.  I'd rather see less successful east coast teams get invites.

Lucia wanted to let the UND-UMN rivalry to cool down, well, he got just that.  Now UMN is desperate for rivalry energy.  Guess what, Don, nobody outside the B1G cares.  Your a$$h@t program and fans were above all else for decades, now the true-blue fans want change.  Pretty soon, Minnesota will beg UND for renewing the rivalry, if not pay for it financially!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If they offer full membership for all sports, it would be hard to turn down.  As a hockey-only fan, I hope this never happens.  Affiliate?  Ha.  It would be great if that is offered to pretend to entertain the notion and waste their time.  I wouldn't mind playing Michigan OOC every now and then, but they prefer hosting Atlantic teams (rather than their in-state  former CCHA rivals).