SiouxSports.com Forum

Perspective

roper1313

This is a little post on perspective. First, I'll start this by saying that I am a huge ND high school supporter and ex-Fargo South hockey player. Now to my point.

Last week the members of this board were gushing about all the potential ND HS players that UND should be recruiting, or at least keep an eye on. After watching the first round of the AA tournament in Minnesota, I have been again hit by a dose of reality. Moorhead has more bonafied Div. 1 talent than the entire state of ND.

JLoos's cousin Cory was Fargo North's leading scorer as a Sophmore. If he would have stayed at North we'd be gushing about what a prospect this 6'2" 190lb scoring machine is. A can't miss UND recruit we'd say (my self included). Cory is now on Moorhead's 3rd line. Not 1st, not 2nd, but third. That really put things in perspective.

I hope that the best of ND can someday compete with the best of MN, but right now it ain't happening.

End of rant :(

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This won't be a popular message here but, hey, this is a voice of reason. I can't disagree. Always take the best players and if one or two happen to be from ND, great...

However if the last name is Panzer they get a free pass... :(

The message isn't necessarily a unpopular one here. We are UND fans not ND HS hockey fans. ND just doesn't have the population that MN does plain and simple, (especially for hockey in the western part). Like I said before, I hope UND not only gets the best of the best regardless of where they are from, but I hope they learn to play together as a team at UND and win some hardware.

I agree with you, except Cory was on the 2nd line. He played on the 1 2 and 3 lines throughout the year. In last nights came the 2nd line was Loos, Johnson, Becker.

Cory is probably 6 or 7 on depth chart on Moorhead. He has had D1 coaches talking to him and will most likely play D1, but probably not in the WCHA. He does not fit the typical Blais recruit, he is a lot like Grant Potulny or Massen, big with good hands, but not the quickest. My uncle (his dad) played at Bemidji, I could see him going to a CHA team or an ECAC team.

When did you play for Wilson Roper?

I agree with you, except Cory was on the 2nd line. He played on the 1 2 and 3 lines throughout the year. In last nights came the 2nd line was Loos, Johnson, Becker.

Cory is probably 6 or 7 on depth chart on Moorhead. He has had D1 coaches talking to him and will most likely play D1, but probably not in the WCHA. He does not fit the typical Blais recruit, he is a lot like Grant Potulny or Massen, big with good hands, but not the quickest. My uncle (his dad) played at Bemidji, I could see him going to a CHA team or an ECAC team.

Sorry Jloos, the McFeeley article in the Forum kept on stating that he was a 3rd liner. I was doubting that when I saw him playing with Becker last night though. Does it really make a difference with Moorhead? They are real deep.

FYI, I played at South from 90-93.

I know there are a handful, but does anyone know how many current Junior players (USHL et al) would still be in high school in GF and Fargo? It is an unfortunate situation in that ND needs talent in the HS league to make players want to stay and get better, but at the same time - these kids need competition and as of now Juniors are the only way to get it.

I don't know about North Dakota hockey as a whole, but as for a city, name a city in Minnesota that has sent as many players on to D1 in the last 5 or 6 years than Grand Forks? Might be one, but off hand I don't know what the city would be. I know Minnesota loses players to the USHL too, but Central would have been awfully good this year had they kept Morgan Simonson and the other Lamoureaux boys who went to juniors. Red River and Central have traditionally been able to compete well with top tier Minnesota teams. When Roseau won the Minnesota title one year, the only loss they had was to Red River. Just saying that Grand Forks competes very well with Minnesota's elite, although it goes in cycles.

I'm from Minnesota and would love to see more boys from our great state play for my favorite hockey team in ND and piss the gophers off even more. Remember this is from a homegrown Minnesota boy who's only ties to North Dakota were my education. Sorry.

Last year, I think Central's team could have competed with almost any H.S. team in the country. Maybe not the elite prep schools like shattuck, but they could have probably could have won the Minnesota AA tourney. They should have been even better this year, but they lost those three great players in Morgan, P.J., and Jacques.

I don't know about North Dakota hockey as a whole, but as for a city, name a city in Minnesota that has sent as many players on to D1 in the last 5 or 6 years than Grand Forks? Might be one, but off hand I don't know what the city would be. I know Minnesota loses players to the USHL too, but Central would have been awfully good this year had they kept Morgan Simonson and the other Lamoureaux boys who went to juniors. Red River and Central have traditionally been able to compete well with top tier Minnesota teams. When Roseau won the Minnesota title one year, the only loss they had was to Red River. Just saying that Grand Forks competes very well with Minnesota's elite, although it goes in cycles.

Roseau itself sent q few players on that year.......yes RR beat us! I believe it was in ND though? That was a little sore spot that year, but there should have been a "re-match" :(

There have been instances before Minnesota went to A and Double AA that Red River beat the Minnesota State Champion - I believe that Roseau's only loss was to RR back in the 90's when Blais was the coash.

Losses to Red River at your barn, and to Grand Rapids in Roseau. Yes Blais was the coach then......good times :(

Just looking at WCHA teams, I am thinking GF would fall in 8th...Roseau, Fairbult, Moorhead, Maple Grove, Rochester, Duluth, Eden Prairie, and Brooklyn Park all have more players. GF has 6, 7 if you count Irmen, that currently play in the WCHA. Not sure about the last five years, but as far as this year is concerned, you're a little off. Still respectable though. Eliminate the whole debate though and ask Gopher fans how this last year has been...without GF, they would be headed for a series with Denver or Wisconsin, possibly even UMD!!! I've always said, it's QUALITY not QUANTITY!!!

In terms of turning out WCHA caliber players, Grand Forks would seem to be doing as well as nearly anybody, at least among outstate MN towns. In the past 10 years or so, off the top of my head there have been the Panzer's, Tim O'Connell, Tim Skarperud, Jake Moreland, Nick Fuher, Robbie Bina, Andy Schneider, Grant Potulny, Ryan Potulny, Phil Lamoreaux, Nate Ziegelmann, and I'm sure I'm missing some there. You might also be soon able to add Kasey Moreland, Jordan McIntyre, and others. Unfortunately, so long as the great players leave early for junior leagues, the teams will probably not be on par with the Moorhead's and the other elite Minnesota teams.

Does anybody know roughly what Moorhead's enrollment is? They seem to do extremely well in nearly all sports year-in and year-out.

1,700...I think it's a tribute to their incredible parks and recreation department. The kids grow up doing stuff instead of sitting on the floor playing video games.

They're obviously doing something right. It's a rarity that any Fargo school can touch them in in any sport. I know they don't generally play Fargo schools in football, but aside from maybe West Fargo once in awhile, Moorhead would dominate there also. And South must be at least as big of a school, so it's not just an enrollment issue.

They're obviously doing something right. It's a rarity that any Fargo school can touch them in in any sport. I know they don't generally play Fargo schools in football, but aside from maybe West Fargo once in awhile, Moorhead would dominate there also. And South must be at least as big of a school, so it's not just an enrollment issue.

I remember when Moorhead used to be dominated in Section 8 hockey! Now, even their youth hockey teams seem to be very good......so you're right, they are doing something right!

Sorry Jloos, the McFeeley article in the Forum kept on stating that he was a 3rd liner. I was doubting that when I saw him playing with Becker last night though. Does it really make a difference with Moorhead? They are real deep.

FYI, I played at South from 90-93.