SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Baseball

UNDvince97-01

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Augie's ace did pitch on Friday. Not good, Mankato should be them twice on Saturday.

My bad if true, couldn't find the box score but found 2 of the pitchers for Augie. Not too impossible they could still lose 1 or 2 tommorrow, Bison took 3/4 from them so they are beatable.

Big games tomorrow in Fargo! Anyone know who will be pitching for the Sioux? It was appropriate that we threw Scheving yesterday - we needed a sweep and he will be ready for Mankato this weekend. But ... it would hae been nice to have him throwing against SU.

Big games tomorrow in Fargo! Anyone know who will be pitching for the Sioux? It was appropriate that we threw Scheving yesterday - we needed a sweep and he will be ready for Mankato this weekend. But ... it would hae been nice to have him throwing against SU.

Darin Heston will probably be going onw game, the other is up in the air. Of note though, yesterday against USD NDSU's best player and all-time homerun leader got tossed after striking out to lead off the 1st inning. It is conference rules that a player who gets ejected must then sit out the next conference game (unlessd it has changed, but I doubt it), and that is Tues against the Sioux. If so, tha is enormous for the Sioux that he wouldn't be in the lineup. Huge games for tie-breaker purposes as well.

Heston did throw in relief though 3 or 4 innings on friday too, and Sukut will likely throw again too i imagine...Mr. Piep did get tossed and the Sioux are waiting on word from the conference office, they believe he will sit at least one game for sure....Sioux clinched a top four finish with USD getting swept....Sioux are lookin at getting one of two from NDSU and three of four from Mankato to clinch the title, or any four of the next six whether that is a sweep or not....Heston concerns me against NDSU...hope they dont figure him out early...and if NDSU gets a lead their relief pitcher that throws 92 - 95 mph is a concern...he is tough....UND got two hits off him in his relief appearance in game 2 and they were not well hit at all....go SIOUX.....get that title.....

huge wins for the Sioux and like i said Mankato split so the Sioux are up one game with four with Mankato St. this weekend....at home....i hope the weather holds up, if the sioux get 2 of 4 they will win the conference....unreal...i am really really happy for coach Ziegler...

i am really really happy for coach Ziegler...

If Zig doesn't get NCC coach of the Year this year I will puke. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year, and instead the Sioux get either 1st or 2nd in the league, and are still a year away. I hate to say it, but the NCC tourney and beyond may be tough for them. With JJ's arm, it is darn near impossible to get more then 9 innings in a weekend out of him. Conference tourney and beyond are 9 inning games. After him, the pitching is shaky, hit and miss, but has been hit more then missed so far. The guy who was supposed to be the #2, Schlangen, has been terrible during the conference season. Hopefully, a potential Springfest NCC Tourney will come to fruition and give the home team a great advantage. Having the best middle of the field defense in the NCC will help a ton, Mark Olson does things at short that you only see on Sportscenter. NCC tourney looks like NDSU, Mankato, UND, and UNO. UNO is hot, Mankato always has real good pitching, and the Bison who knows, pretty Jekyl and Hyde. Makes for a very interesting last week and NCC tourney. Hopefully the Sioux can get it done.

I was impressed with the UND turnout for the games yesterday. Good showing Sioux fans. I was afraid I'd be the only guy down the first base line.

Who was that guy who made the nice foul ball basket catch, without even flinching in his seat, about four rows behind the center of the Sioux dugout in the bottom of three (top of four?) of game two? Get him a glove. ;)

Corella agreed....Z should get coach of the year heck of a job....also agree that pitching is a concern with all the games being 9 inning games....which is why UNO and even NDSU are scarey....UNO has 2 or 3 real good pitchers and then not much and NDSU has the flame thrower...key for UND will be to host the tourney and win early....if you lose right away and have to play a ton of games is when pitching will become a HUGE concern!!!! not sure if 5 pitchers is enough to win the tourney but all and all one heck of a year for the Fighting Sioux!!!!!

Sioux maintain #3 spot in region.

Central Region

1. Central Missouri State 42-6

2. Emporia State 32-16

3. North Dakota 32-12

4. Minnesota State Mankato 29-13

5. Missouri Western State 30-14

6. Wayne State (Nebraska) 34-15

7. North Dakota State 25-19

8. Winona State 28-16-1

With Mankato at 4, the game has pretty big regional implications also, 3/4 by UND could do wonders after the NCC tourney in the committees mind. Interesting that Emporia stays at #2 probably because, despite a worse record, they beat UND 3/4 to start tthe season. Not too sure how NDSU is still in the top 8, they are barely over .500 at 25-21??

I'm glad I went down to the games last night. I have to admit I was a little weary about them. The key was jumping on them in the first inning. It seemed as if our bench really got us going and getting a lead was huge. It was a classic finish with J.J. getting Piepkorn to strike out on a pitch in his eyes. No let down in second game as UND scores 5 in first inning and hangs on for 6-4 win. The only down side was piepkorn didn't make the last out AGAIN!!! I thought Piepkorn had to sit out one game last night. Anyone know any details on this.

Sioux split, win the second game 4-2. Got a little hairy at the end, Sioux up 4-0 going into the top of the 7th, and MSU had a runner on 3rd with 1 out but Scheving came in fro the save and got the final 2 batters to K. 1 win tommorrow cliches it.

Game 1--UND 4, Mankato 1. Congrats to the Sioux--NCC champions!

Congratulations to the Sioux for winning the NCC !!!

It is great to see the success the team has had this year. With as much work it takes just to operate the program, the hard work has paid off for them.