SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Baseball

UNDvince97-01

digging through the media guide today and found out UND hasn't won a NCC title in baseball since 1967!! WOW - who'd have thought it would have been that long...been some good teams since then but they never could wrangle a conference title. Best item was the record of the 1898 team. They played 1 GAME - beat the "GF RIVALS" 23-2 and called it a season...wow...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The official regional poll put out by the NCAA comes out Wednesday morning. That's really the only one that matters, because it determines which teams qualify for the tourney.

Good to see we're getting some respect in a national poll. The Collegiate Baseball Newspaper one seems to have a hard-on for all the Missouri schools in the MAIAC.

Sioux baseball comes to Omaha this weekend, should be interesting. UNO has been inconsistent. They beat Wisconsin Milwaukee a D1 school and took 3 out of 4 from St. Cloud. Pitching is not that good but they have some hitters that can rake. Games will be played at a local high school legion field. UNO has never had a home baseball field and this has hurt the program. Maybe a baseball rivalary will be started after this weekend. UNO leads the all time series 16-11.

Here is this week's "official" regional rankings.

Central Region

1. Central Missouri State 37-5

2. Emporia State 29-16

3. North Dakota 30-10

4. Missouri Western State 28-13

5. Minnesota State Mankato 26-12

6. Wayne State (Nebraska) 30-13

7. Southwest Minnesota State 24-13

8. Northwest Missouri State 28-15

Winona State 23-15-1

Like always, the NSIC is taking up spots in the baseball regional rankings, and are extremely overrated. Bemidji, a team that had 2 non-conference wins, is 8-8 in conference. A few years ago, a bad UND team went to Marshall to take on Southwest which was ranked in the top 6 of the region, and beat them by 10 runs both games. # 2 Emporia beat the Sioux all 3 times they played this year, granted it was UND's first games, but that is working against them.

NSIC taking up two spots? Come on. UND vs. Southwest three years ago in mid-week games!

I remember SMSU taking two from UND when UND had 35 wins (in 1998 I believe) in Grand Forks. Wayne State took 3 of 4 from Omaha this year, Southwest split with Mankato earlier this year then lost two tough ones last week. Bemidji split with UND as well in Grand Forks this year.

I'm not taking anything away from UND, they look like their good, but what sucks about D2 baseball is the mid-week non conference games. They can be so misleading in both ways for each team.

The problem is only 4 teams make the regional, in 2006 I've heard it will move to 4. I'm not sure the MIAA is all that good. But only four teams make it with three conferences? Very tough, and really tough when you have Central Missouri STate who has 9 full rides and is the #1 seed every year. So in reality, only 3 teams out of 27 or so make it! Not right.

Good luck UND. At Omaha and NDSU in the next six games. If they win the regular season, they'll for sure earn it

NSIC taking up two spots? Come on. UND vs. Southwest three years ago in mid-week games!

I remember SMSU taking two from UND when UND had 35 wins (in 1998 I believe) in Grand Forks. Wayne State took 3 of 4 from Omaha this year, Southwest split with Mankato earlier this year then lost two tough ones last week. Bemidji split with UND as well in Grand Forks this year.

I'm not taking anything away from UND, they look like their good, but what sucks about D2 baseball is the mid-week non conference games. They can be so misleading in both ways for each team.

It is funny that you would question me on this matter, I know a thing or two about what I am talking about. Here is the difference between the NSIC and the NCC in baseball and why the NSIC wins sometimes during mid-week games. The NCC team pitches its 5-8 type of guys. The NSIC team starts it's 5-8 type of guys. For the NSIC teams, facing the NCC teams pitchers like these is very comparable to facing their own conference's weekend pitching. For the NCC teams, the pitchers they face in these games are absolutely brutal, anyone who has ever witnessed these non-conference games can attest to that. These pitchers often couldn't break a pain of glass with their fastball, as a hitter it is frustrating and brutal to have to lower yourself to hitting the crap that you hit when you were 14 and 15, does more harm then good. Case-in-point, the pitcher that beat UND for Bemidji this year was a sidearmer who may have hit 70mph once or twice and threw junk more then anything that was closer to 60mph. Almost every time an NCC team loses to an NSIC team in baseball, it is for this reason, not because the other team is better.

if pitchers are that brutal, you should be able to slap them around the park if you are a decent hitter. good hitters dont bring themselves down to crappy pitching. losing to a team like that is not excusable, and saying the reason they lost is because the pitching was extra terrible is funny.

Come on Corella. The top teams in the NSIC have just as good of pitching as the NCC teams. Yes, the bottom of the NSIC isn't good, but neither is the NCC's bottom teams. Augustana, a team 9-9 in the NCC, was swept by Southwest during the weekend this year.

I guess for Omaha this weekend, throw a side arm guy that throws 70 and you'll win

Ask any hitter who they would rather face, a guy throwing 85 with a decent deuce or a thumber coming at 70 who throws a 60mph deuce more then his fastball, and the fromer would take the cake by a huge majority, trust me. There is nothing more frustrating then facing one of those clowns, and some NSIC teams have 4-5 of them. You cannot sit back on that junk as someone who hasn't hit that kind of crap since BP as a 10 year old from your dad's arm.

And no, the top NSIC are not as good as the top of the NCC. Wayne St does have a good program, I can say that, but UMD is no good and they contend in the NSIC every year. That will be proved next year when they are right near the bottom of the NCC. Southwest is a joke every year, ranked but always losing out in the NSIC tourney. Winona usually puts a pretty decent team on the field. Other then that, nothing but junk. Bemidji, UMC, CSP, Northern, all brutal, and Bemidji is .500 in the league. That tells the story right there.

Corella, you have no clue

Duluth IS NOT near the top every year, last year was the first time in years. SMSU by the way has won three NSIC tournament titles in the last seven years and has been second three other times? Your a fool

Also, think about it, the NCC has more money than most NSIC school so they should be better.

Again, your a complete fool and I'll back up every stat you want. Duluth near the top? Get real

You're right, becuase UMD didn't make it to the regional last year and came into this year as the resounding favorite with their returning All-American, who, at last check had hit less then 1/3 of the # of homeres he hit last year. And Southwest has won 3 of he last 7 conference tourneys, and have gone in as the favorite in probably 6 of them. That is what I call a team that is a joke. And to argue with me about the hitting aspect of the game is silly, because 9/10 hitters say the exact same thing.

answer have you seen any of these northern sun teams play?? i have and i am going to have to back corella on this one...BSU is absolutely brutal they are horrible....they have two hitters one who was at UND and one pitcher that is it, and their in what third place right now...their horrible...my juco team beat them when we played their varsity....give me a break and a juco in minnesota with no scholarship money so.....havent seen any of the others but i can imagine how the rest are as well same as every other year....throw a NSIC team a bone and get into the regional and have one and barbecue or is it two and barbecue take your pick....joke....that is the joke.....

answer you just said the top teams were as good as NCC teams....then you siad NCC should be better cuz they have more money?? which is it?;) most baseball teams arent fully funded in fact i bet none are in the NCC....UND has 15,000 to spend on scholarships....make you feel fool now gettin killed by them....does doesnt it...

This is funny. Bemidji State third in the NSIC? Let me look at the standings...BSU is sixth right now. But I thought you said third? Oh well, little mistake I guess. When you want your story your way say the facts anyway you want.

You don't think most NCC schools have more money than NSIC schools? You say UND has only 15,000 in dollars for baseball. I think Wayne State is the only team with more than 2 full rides in baseball. How about budgets, NCC schools have way more.

Also, I know about hitting as well and your right, it's tough to hit slow pitching. Its the same for NSIC schools facing NCC in mid-weeks games. The NCC 5-6 pitchers are not good.

Also, I said UMD was solid last year, but that was it. Corella said their near the top every year, NOT TRUE!

SMSU making 6 of 7 conference tournament championship games is a joke? How about winning one UND or making it to your finals for a change.

Augustana NCC champs in 2003? Yeesh

Best of luck in Omaha this weekend.

You don't think most NCC schools have more money than NSIC schools? You say UND has only 15,000 in dollars for baseball. I think Wayne State is the only team with more than 2 full rides in baseball. How about budgets, NCC schools have way more.

Sorry for the interruption.

Based on the numbers I consistently hear from Roger Thomas and others in UND Athletics, $15000 would be about 1.5 scholarships for student-athletes at UND.

Please return to your normal arguments. Thank you.

I was just going to go back to the original. Thanks!

Sorry to change subjects (I really do love talking D2 sports with other fans, thanks for the board) What happended last weekend with SDSU and the "near brawl" When SDSU was here a few weeks (I saw just one of the games) our coaches said SDSU was the biggest talkings they've ever heard, etc. Their coaches just weren't good, etc.

I read in the Herald their pitcher got tossed for throwing at a UND batter, coaches exchanged words, etc. I'd take Z over their interim guy any day.

Was the ejected worthy? ump over react? Good to see some intense action in D2 baseball!

peace

answer has your team made it to the college world series?;) who was the last NCC team to make it there....win one once...now who has their facts wrong....and i guess BSU is what 500 in their conference....brutal....and the NSIC top pitchers would throw bp in the NCC that is a fact!!!!!!

I was just going to go back to the original. Thanks!

Sorry to change subjects (I really do love talking D2 sports with other fans, thanks for the board)  What happended last weekend with SDSU and the "near brawl"  When SDSU was here a few weeks (I saw just one of the games) our coaches said SDSU was the biggest talkings they've ever heard, etc.  Their coaches just weren't good, etc.

I read in the Herald their pitcher got tossed for throwing at a UND batter, coaches exchanged words, etc.  I'd take Z over their interim guy any day.

Was the ejected worthy?  ump over react? Good to see some intense action in D2 baseball!

peace

ill answer this one. in short, sdsu pitcher gives up 2 monster bombs, back to back i think. one of which was over the lights in left field, an absolute moon ball. so the sdsu pitcher is sick of getting shelled and wants out of the game. he looks in the dugout for the sympathy exit, doesnt get it from the coaches. so to get himself out of the game, he blatantly throws at the next batter and misses him. next pitch is inside a bit. third pitch is at the batters head again. ump throws the pitcher out, pitcher looks at the ump with the expression of "finally, its about time" and simply walks to the dugout with no argument. so the ejection was definitely just. coach Z is fired up because thats one of his best hitters being thrown at, so he tells the pitching coach what he thought of it. pitching coach takes offense, and freaks out at Z for accusing him of it. they are in each others face with an ump between them. then the head coach for sdsu comes out and starts yelling, then the asst's for UND come over, and before u know it, its a bench-clearing coaches yelling match. to top all of this off, there was a good crowd and student showing on this day. well, the students of course were all over the sdsu head coach, who in turn tipped his hat to the students and made a gesture to his back-side. this head coach is worthless and classless, and i think the asst. should be the head because he does everything, and the head does nothing. on top of that, the sdsu head coach takes photos from the field of the students on the deck. simply classless. in defense of the sdsu coaches, i really dont think that they told their pitcher to throw at the batter. the pitcher just wanted out, and that was his escape. all that being said, sdsu's head coach is bush-league. it was pretty interesting and entertaining though.

Luckily, Mankato split today, so it is a tie on the top of the league. NDSU swept so they are 1 game back. Expect UND to come out of the weekend no worse then tied for the lead. Augie, who is playing Mankato, still has their ace (Keogh or something like that) to throw tommorrow, and he is probably the 3rd best pitcher in the league. USD, which is playing NDSU, still has their ace Lundin to go tommorrow, and he has probably been the 2nd best pitcher in the NCC. Bottom line, UND wins 4 of their last 6 in the conference and they should be sitting pretty regardless of what happens tommorrow or Sun. Actually, best case scenario may be that UND gets rained out of Omaha for the next 2 days and cannot play, that saves Scheving for the Bison and gives other pitchers a rest also, and keeps UND away from 2 more games against what seems to be a red hot Omaha team. Can't exactly bank on that though.