SiouxSports.com Forum

Next UND President

UNDvince97-01

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:42 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Back to UND's president search, I'm liking the background of this applicant.  UND grad.  Currently a VP/CFO at a large research university.  Has been a VP at Emporia St (Kansas), Eastern Illinois, Southern Methodist University, Purdue, and Arizona St.  Worked as a budget analyst for North Dakota OMB (granted it was 30 years ago) so he has experience working with the executive and legislative branches of state government during the budgeting/appropriations process.  Should have good business sense.  If this guy is personable and capable of talking to potential donors, he's the one, IMO.

I went to BSC (BJC at the time) and UND with this guy.  Very likeable, personable, and really bright.  He's a Bismarck native.

• Upvote 1

I'm involved in the process to hire a new leader for a significant organization in the region. I asked our headhunter about "nine interviews in a day" and "17 interviews in two days".

I've never seen someone laugh so hard, ... and then say, "You're serious?" 

He wondered how you could get a feel for someone in just an hour, and he wondered how the interview committee could remember each candidate after about the fourth interview. 

He also said, "That many interviews in a day is fair neither to the candidates nor the committee. I'd never do that to a client or any of my contacts."

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm involved in the process to hire a new leader for a significant organization in the region. I asked our headhunter about "nine interviews in a day" and "17 interviews in two days".

I've never seen someone laugh so hard, ... and then say, "You're serious?" 

He wondered how you could get a feel for someone in just an hour, and he wondered how the interview committee could remember each candidate after about the fourth interview. 

He also said, "That many interviews in a day is fair neither to the candidates nor the committee. I'd never do that to a client or any of my contacts."

So they are interviewing when they already have someone picked?

• Upvote 1

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/featured-columnists/3937937-mike-jacobs-can-north-dakota-build-university-system

One of the candidates is Steve Shirley, now president of Minot State University, the third largest of the state's public universities. He's been in that job two years. Earlier he was president of Valley City State University.

He's a North Dakota native. He has three degrees from UND, including a couple from the business school and a doctorate in higher-ed teaching and learning. He's been president of two units of North Dakota's system, Minot and Valley City. One member of the UND search committee described him as "a rock star." Certainly, he's popular with the board and the Legislature.

Shirley's not a shoo-in, of course.

2 hours ago, NDSU grad said:

My wife works at MSU.  Shirley's a rock star there, very well liked.  I'd say the chances he's your guys' next president is about 30%, so I'd take the field if I was a betting man, but if I had to pick one candidate amongst the group it would be him.

While I do think he'd do a excellent job, I agree with previous sentiments, he's about one higher level job short on his resume to take over at UND. He's trending in the right direction and checking all the right boxes moving up with each stop and having now been a president at two different universities, but zero experience at a research institute is a tough sell with his only previous stops being UM-Crookston, Dakota State, Valley City and Minot State.

Think Morgan Olsen is the favorite at this point.  But biased more toward someone with a hard sciences background and able to navigate political channels locally and nationally. The two Kennedys are interesting, as well as Rudin from Boise St and Eisenbaumer from UTArlington.  The last two probably wouldn't look at UND as a terminal destination.

22 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

While I do think he'd do a excellent job, I agree with previous sentiments, he's about one higher level job short on his resume to take over at UND. He's trending in the right direction and checking all the right boxes moving up with each stop and having now been a president at two different universities, but zero experience at a research institute is a tough sell with his only previous stops being UM-Crookston, Dakota State, Valley City and Minot State.

Definitely agree with you, but I just think the committee will fall in love with him, and it's a move that will 'look good' in the eyes of the legislature and Board of Higher Education.  Native North Dakotan, completed all of his schooling in North Dakota, and has a decent (not great) CV.  

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Can't a President/CEO of a company hire people who know a few things about the things he doesn't?

CEO's of major companies seem to move around, mainly because they know how to run a company, not because they know the product.  

That's actually the reason I prefer Olsen from ASU. I think he has the experience to know what he doesn't know from the different places and positions he's been in. His expertise in budgeting/finance has to be really attractive right now with the budget shortfall and upcoming drop in state funding.

I just personally think that Shirley's application is one turn too soon for him though there is nothing that says he wouldn't do an excellent job.

• Upvote 2