SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Idaho (12/31)

SWSiouxMN

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

I don't know how the refs saw enough evidence to overturn the last possession. 

#triedtogiveUNDthegame

It was clear on the replay the Idaho player was out of bounds after blocking the shot ,and never established himself inbounds before touching the ball.  I was a little surprised Ralston never figured that out while we waited forever for the officials.

If only McDermott would've head faked that guy he would've had a wide open attempt as time expired.  But I suppose he felt the pressure of time running out; I have no idea why they were taking their sweet time to run the play when down by three.

• Upvote 2

You seem disappointed? 

This year rebounding is looking good, offense has good ball movement and lots of slashing to the basket.  

However we continue to lose or make games too close due to poor free throw shooting.

I blame the coaching.

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

You seem disappointed? 

This year rebounding is looking good, offense has good ball movement and lots of slashing to the basket.  

However we continue to lose or make games too close due to poor free throw shooting.

I blame the coaching.

I was, I bet the over :p

Decent win. Loved the balanced scoring (4 players in double figures) and Drick is impressing me more and more. Play like that and they can start piling up the wins. Weber up next, I'd like to see UND take them down

6 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

UND did manage to beat EWU today, 79-71. 

Great game today. Was able to take it in. Still not sold on Jones but there is some talent here. The issue is, we are going to have 3-5 games where we will probably get blown out or just not be in the game due to the nature of travel in this conference and the remaining conference games will all come down to 3-4 possessions which places a premium on decision making and coaching down the stretch of games. Can't afford another loss at home and if we can find 3 or 4 road wins we will be in the mix. Bernstine and Seales are coming along and Geno and Q are going to be a hand full for anyone. Shanks has some potential in the next couple years but really needs to live in the weight room this summer.

8 hours ago, petey23 said:

Great game today. Was able to take it in. Still not sold on Jones but there is some talent here. The issue is, we are going to have 3-5 games where we will probably get blown out or just not be in the game due to the nature of travel in this conference and the remaining conference games will all come down to 3-4 possessions which places a premium on decision making and coaching down the stretch of games. Can't afford another loss at home and if we can find 3 or 4 road wins we will be in the mix. Bernstine and Seales are coming along and Geno and Q are going to be a hand full for anyone. Shanks has some potential in the next couple years but really needs to live in the weight room this summer.

They need to get him on a meat and potatoes diet with a side of pasta and more meat for dessert. 

12 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

They need to get him on a meat and potatoes diet with a side of pasta and more meat for dessert. 

Shanks has pretty good footwork but he is a bit of a black hole once he gets the ball......but I don't put that all on him. Our perimeter guys tend to stay in the same spot when the balls goes into him like they know it's not coming back. They need to move so that when their defender turns his head or hedges towards helping out down low that they have to find our guy again. i.e, if you made the entry from the wing, slide to the corner or if it is a high entry both our wings should slide over a spot.

On 1/1/2016 at 7:16 PM, Kab said:

Shanks should not be on the floor

too weak, cost us the game

This is so wrong!

On 1/4/2016 at 8:25 PM, petey23 said:

Shanks has pretty good footwork but he is a bit of a black hole once he gets the ball......but I don't put that all on him. Our perimeter guys tend to stay in the same spot when the balls goes into him like they know it's not coming back. They need to move so that when their defender turns his head or hedges towards helping out down low that they have to find our guy again. i.e, if you made the entry from the wing, slide to the corner or if it is a high entry both our wings should slide over a spot.

I love his passion and energy.  I will take a 7ft center (sophomore) that plays hard, and usually smart, like him everyday of the week.  The footwork is there for the most part.  Would like to see him get even closer to the basket when they are working inside/out with him.  Really, his being a black hole is on the Coach though.  He should be told, once he sees a second guy coming, to kick it out. There is usually a guard up high that he could push the ball back to and re-establish.  I know Jones wants to run plays thru him, which is fine, but he isn't big/strong enough to finish thru most double teams yet.  It would be nice to see him finish with more dunks or stronger lay-ups too. Again, he is a sophomore, and as others have pointed out, he needs to eat a ton and get in the weight room.  Hopefully he keeps progressing.

53 minutes ago, niouxsiouxfan said:

This is so wrong!

I love his passion and energy.  I will take a 7ft center (sophomore) that plays hard, and usually smart, like him everyday of the week.  The footwork is there for the most part.  Would like to see him get even closer to the basket when they are working inside/out with him.  Really, his being a black hole is on the Coach though.  He should be told, once he sees a second guy coming, to kick it out. There is usually a guard up high that he could push the ball back to and re-establish.  I know Jones wants to run plays thru him, which is fine, but he isn't big/strong enough to finish thru most double teams yet.  It would be nice to see him finish with more dunks or stronger lay-ups too. Again, he is a sophomore, and as others have pointed out, he needs to eat a ton and get in the weight room.  Hopefully he keeps progressing.

Agreed. He had now played one full year of college basketball. Is he even back to full strength after being fairly sick this fall? He has the range to stretch out the defense as well.