SiouxSports.com Forum

Here comes the Merchandise

burronation

2 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

Was at the games this weekend. Made my rounds upper and lower bowl. In two nights I saw zero Fighting Hawks gear. Thought maybe after Christmas someone would be wearing something. Lead balloon.

People may buy more Hawks gear once a logo is chosen. It will take a while before Hawks gear starts to replace the Fighting Sioux. Within 5 years it will probably be 50-50.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

People may buy more Hawks gear once a logo is chosen. It will take a while before Hawks gear starts to replace the Fighting Sioux. Within 5 years it will probably be 50-50.

I agree.  People were indicating the last few years merchandise sales were down because of no logo on it.  So far in that regard, nothing's changed.    

I always thought I wouldn't buy anything with whatever the new name was for several years.  But now that we're finally this far along, and i'm seeing the name on new merchandise, I figured what the frack, and bought a Fighting Hawks shirt.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've always been Sioux Forever it's easy 

I'm more concerned they may actually come up with a logo I may like 

At most for now I only want a Flag with this design to leave for my family to fight over when I croak

Because I talked UNDBIZ into using his photo shop skills to help create it

UND.jpg.98ed0befeaded9a39b4779a6ec54b061

Anyone know who can make me a Flag ?

6 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

Was at the games this weekend. Made my rounds upper and lower bowl. In two nights I saw zero Fighting Hawks gear. Thought maybe after Christmas someone would be wearing something. Lead balloon.

Saw a Fighting Hawks gear on TV this weekend for hockey vs Huntsville (front few rows).

Also seen a few on tv for mens basketball.

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Yeah. Like in Marquette.....oh, wait it's been 20+ years and that still hasn't happened.

I have seen some items with the name on it....I might actually be convinced to buy some merchandise if it is F'N Hawks though.

Ladies and Gentlemen, here come The F'N Hawks or Those F'N Hawks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Oh gee, I don't know.  Maybe because you want to support the school you cheer for and the CURRENT name!!

So what you're saying is that you must support the new nickname in order to be a UND fan, So if I buy license Sioux merchandise that is still on the market or just buy University of North Dakota non nickname merchandise then I'm not supporting UND? If you have a good brand people will buy it. That is the reasons teams will re-brand themselves, to make themselves appealing to the the consumer. Fighting Sioux had and, still has, a lot of appeal. The University of North Dakota has a lot of appeal as a Brand. The Fighting Hawks has a lot more hurdles to climb to prove itself, to be fair its tough to say how much appeal the brand will have till the logo is in place. Maybe they will create a great logo that will win people over or at least get them to admit that its not too bad. However, this process has been more interested in creating something safe that couldn't offend anyone rather than on creating a creative and unique logo and nickname that could at least carry on the spirit of the Fighting Sioux. So yeah, I'm not overly hopeful about the graphic artist rescuing Fighting Hawks. 

Unless they can come up with a good logo that converts people and gets them to buy the logo, my guess is that the name and logo will be used minimally after 5-10 years. The Inter-locking ND will probably end up being the primary logo.

Also if you follow your own logic then maybe you should consider a new nickname, I doubt anyone has taken "Hawkfan" so you wouldn't even need the number on the end.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, Fetch said:

I've always been Sioux Forever it's easy 

I'm more concerned they may actually come up with a logo I may like 

At most for now I only want a Flag with this design to leave for my family to fight over when I croak

Because I talked UNDBIZ into using his photo shop skills to help create it

UND.jpg.98ed0befeaded9a39b4779a6ec54b061

Anyone know who can make me a Flag ?

Sorry but that is a Haida pattern drawing, and we can't have anything that could be seen as offensive to Native Americans.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Oh gee, I don't know.  Maybe because you want to support the school you cheer for and the CURRENT name!!

This just in...It is possible to support the school without using the CURRENT nickname.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I did my fair share (and beyond) of complaining of Fighting Hawks during the voting process, but I'm a man of democracy and I recognize when I have lost a battle.  I won't buy Fighting Hawks gear for myself just yet (But I did buy my brother a Fighting Hawks sweatshirt because he loved my Fighting Sioux jersey :lol: I'm diabolical, I love it.), I'll wait for the logo! I believe in my heart of hearts the school will do what's right and adopt a bada$$ logo to lift the Fighting Hawks name from ambiguity. I know we have it in us!  I will say during Christmas dinner, my step-brother asked what UND had chosen as its nickname, and I replied "Fighting Hawks." He replied "Oh just like UHart!" (University of Hartford). Not exactly the company I was hoping to keep, but we are who we are. 

Side note: these Quinnipiac people are giving me guff because USCHO has UND as #1 and some other poll (Idk which exactly) has QU as #1. I told them they're delirious. End of rant. 

50 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

So what you're saying is that you must support the new nickname in order to be a UND fan,

No, he didn't say that.  He said the reason to buy Hawks gear is to support the school and the new name.  Obviously, if you don't want to support the new name then don't buy F'n Hawks stuff and feel free to continue with your unnecessary rant.

34 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

This just in...It is possible to support the school without using the CURRENT nickname.  

This just in... he said support the school and the name:

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Reading comprehension sucks today.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

No, he didn't say that.  He said the reason to buy Hawks gear is to support the school and the new name.  Obviously, if you don't want to support the new name then don't buy F'n Hawks stuff and feel free to continue with your unnecessary rant.

This just in... he said support the school and the name:

Reading comprehension sucks today.

Go Sioux.  Have a nice day.

I think people should buy Sioux gear or wear Sioux gear to preserve the history of the school, but at the same time someone should be able to attend a game, wearing FH gear, chant go FH, without boos from the crowd (ex hockey games), dirty looks or comments, or feel the stares from the anti FH crowd. The fanbase is divided on a name that is now part of the university, it's sad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1