Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
jimdahl

Forum software update

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Ray77 said:

I couldn't get on SiouxSports.com all day yesterday, I kept getting "Page cannot be displayed". I tried from my phone and 2 different computers. Anyone else have this same issue or was it just me?

Same as you...figured they were doing updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The site availability issue is out of Jim's control. Apparently there's been an attack on the host and it's been causing a lot of websites to have problems over the last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get it fixed! Where is Jim spending all our membership dues?

Oh wait.............ignore that question.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious, do you know the time frame on the Edit button?

Just want to either A) Put you to work or B) Test your knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Just curious, do you know the time frame on the Edit button?

Just want to either A) Put you to work or B) Test your knowledge.

You mean for embedded tweets? They should convert from URLs to live tweets when you hit post.

Until today, there was a bug that prevented that from happening if the tweet URL wasn't on it's own line. That should now be fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jimdahl said:

You mean for embedded tweets? They should convert from URLs to live tweets when you hit post.

Until today, there was a bug that prevented that from happening if the tweet URL wasn't on it's own line. That should now be fixed.

No. 

I mean when I post something, I can edit it....for a certain amount of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

No. 

I mean when I post something, I can edit it....for a certain amount of time.

Oh, yeah. It's actually been that way for a long time.

The author is locked out from editing after 24 hours (on the theory that it creates confusion to edit a post after it's been read a lot and there have been lots of replies). I have no problem tweaking it, but I thought 24 hours was pretty generous. How would you prefer it behave?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jimdahl said:

Oh, yeah. It's actually been that way for a long time.

The author is locked out from editing after 24 hours (on the theory that it creates confusion to edit a post after it's been read a lot and there have been lots of replies). I have no problem tweaking it, but I thought 24 hours was pretty generous. How would you prefer it behave?

No. That's fair. I was just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2016 at 8:51 AM, choyt3 said:

Do you have to do a hard <return> after posting the link? That seems to be what works for me when posting from my iPhone.

 

 

Thanks, I FINALLY figured it out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still having a crazy difficult time when I'm scrolling through a thread and accidentally hit quote or change my mind to reply. For the life of me I can never get that quote deleted. It can be days or even weeks later and it still shows up when I want to reply to a thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dakotadan said:

I'm still having a crazy difficult time when I'm scrolling through a thread and accidentally hit quote or change my mind to reply. For the life of me I can never get that quote deleted. It can be days or even weeks later and it still shows up when I want to reply to a thread. 

I've had the same problem.

But I have found out that the key is to (on computer) click the "quote box" in the upper left...You will see a "direction arrow" pop up. Click it. Then Delete.

Before that I kept trying to just "delete it" by continually hitting the "backspace" button to no prevail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They seem to still know this isn't perfect on mobile devices:

https://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/active-reports/4152-quote-removal-on-mobiletablet-not-working-r9610/

Meanwhile, you can work around it by hitting the "source" button in the upper left to switch away from WYSIWYG mode, delete all the HTML for the quote, then click "source" again to switch back to WYSIWYG mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 7, 2016 at 6:44 PM, MafiaMan said:

Did the "All-Time" poster count re-set itself with the last update?  

Not that I can tell... I'll look into it and see if anyone has had any problems, and/or if there's a "recount" feature (which there often is for those stats).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

The count looks accurate on individual profiles...but not on the main page statistics section.

Making sure I understand... on the "main page", you're looking at the "most popular contributors"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jimdahl said:

Making sure I understand... on the "main page", you're looking at the "most popular contributors"?

Yes, under the "All Time" section.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Yes, under the "All Time" section.  

Where do you see ones "all time" (which is the up voted reputation count) on individual profiles (I can't find it)?

I only see "content count" (total posts made by that person).

Edit: Found it by clicking the names that currently show up on "popular contributers" then it shows the "Community Reputation." I'm not sure how to access it otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OIC, the one section is based on reputation.  I can't find the "content count" section that Cratter mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And... we're back. In a stroke of extremely bad luck, the forum software vendor pushed out an "important security update" (so I let it run despite the inconvenient timing), but the update got botched.

I didn't immediately realize it had failed, and once I did I had to reinstall the whole forum. Sorry for inconvenience. At least it wasn't tomorrow :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jimdahl said:

And... we're back. In a stroke of extremely bad luck, the forum software vendor pushed out an "important security update" (so I let it run despite the inconvenient timing), but the update got botched.

I didn't immediately realize it had failed, and once I did I had to reinstall the whole forum. Sorry for inconvenience. At least it wasn't tomorrow :)

I was in a state of panic.  Where will all the die-hard Sioux fans go when the forums are down?
Aaaaaaggggggghhhhhhh!!  ;)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I was in a state of panic.  Where will all the die-hard Sioux fans go when the forums are down?
Aaaaaaggggggghhhhhhh!!  ;)
 

My fault entirely, I normally never would've started an upgrade as I was walking out the door, but I overreacted to it being labeled an urgent security update.

The good news is that during the downtime I doubled the memory on the web server, so there's a better chance the forum will survive the meltdown if the Sioux lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else experiencing this issue other than me?

When I click on either the dot or the star (if I've posted in it) next to a thread, it'll take me to the last page I was on, but instead of going to the first unread post, it just takes me to the top of that page.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×