SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

8 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Highly doubt they offer him a scholarship.  But you never know.  If he went there to walk-on then he must really want to be a Gopher.

And I highly doubt he walks on at Minnesota.  Let's hope we are both right and he's a Hawk.

7 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Looks like he needs to spend a year or two in the weight room (and Wilkie dining hall), but there's a lot of potential with his size and athleticism

I like the idea of bringing in tall lean and athletic OL now that we have depth to allow them to develop.

4 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

Especially since he is more worried about bringing in his recruits from WMU than anywhere else.  6 flips last night alone.  Memo to Fleck, this isn't the MAC he is part of, it is the Pig 10. I hope he keeps going after the mac and cheese while ND schools go after the blue chip players. 

Flecks's "MAC and cheese" classes were better than many BIG 10 classes, including Minnesota's. Not to mention, Fleck used those recruits to beat Big 10 teams, such as Northwestern and Illinois, and narrowly lost to top 10 Wisconsin. 

I guess all I am trying to say is I think this Fleck character is going to do some damage to the Big 10 at Minnesota whether we like it or not. It will stiffen up recruiting for UND and NDSU, too.

In light of the SU ability to grab lots of MN players, it seems it hurts them the most. UND has made forays into the Cities but for the last 5-6 years, SU has done the better job of nabbing the guys we can expect Fleck to get.

2 minutes ago, shep said:

In light of the SU ability to grab lots of MN players, it seems it hurts them the most. UND has made forays into the Cities but for the last 5-6 years, SU has done the better job of nabbing the guys we can expect Fleck to get.

Might limit us on future recruits though. As UND continues to rise, we get better at getting the decent players from the Cities. UND does do a good job of not focusing recruiting on the Cities, but it's going to be a dogfight for the FCS schools to pick up the scraps that Fleck doesn't go after.

3 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Might limit us on future recruits though. As UND continues to rise, we get better at getting the decent players from the Cities. UND does do a good job of not focusing recruiting on the Cities, but it's going to be a dogfight for the FCS schools to pick up the scraps that Fleck doesn't go after.

If SU is losing some of the guys they would normally get we might find ourselves in more recruiting battles with them.

Not sure how worried we should be about fleck.  I don't think his path to success will be offering a scholarships to kids other coaches see as FCS level talent.  We will miss out on players that should have gone to an FBS school in the first place, but we don't get very many of those.

• Upvote 3

If I were a parent, Bubba's down home personality would impress me more than the snake oil salesman approach of Fleck.  I realize that might be irrelevant in most circumstances when competing with the higher level, but I think Bubba will get his fair share of players with his approach.  Nevermind him finding guys like Santiago that nobody wanted.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

Not sure how worried we should be about fleck.  I don't think his path to success will be offering a scholarships to kids other coaches see as FCS level talent.  We will miss out on players that should have gone to an FBS school in the first place, but we don't get very many of those.

Apparently he wants to focus more on area recruiting. I agree that he won't be offering to just FCS level talent. But if he even gets an additional 3-5 area commits a year, that will still affect the smaller schools in recruiting

• Upvote 1

We will have a lot to offer but for us it will always be about player development.  It's what has been key for FU and was our key in the past.  

If Minnesota wants to beat Michigan and Ohio St it's focus needs to be on keeping the top 7-8 in Minnesota and filling the rest of the class nationwide.  We need to continue to get a few they offer preferred walk on. 

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

If I were a parent, Bubba's down home personality would impress me more than the snake oil salesman approach of Fleck.  I realize that might be irrelevant in most circumstances when competing with the higher level, but I think Bubba will get his fair share of players with his approach.  Nevermind him finding guys like Santiago that nobody wanted.

Fleck reminds me of a fast-talking Harbaugh. I agree, it all depends on the character of the person you're recruiting. Blue collar players would certainly resonate better with Bubba

16 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He will have to go into Florida and other hotbeds if he wants to compete with the big boys. In reality it could open up a few more recruits for us.

I would think he'd want to recruit to compete with teams like Wisconsin and Iowa too, but if Fleck chooses to emphasize area recruiting, there will be a ripple effect on our recruiting. 

17 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He will have to go into Florida and other hotbeds if he wants to compete with the big boys. In reality it could open up a few more recruits for us.

Maybe we will see some FBS drop downs from Minnesota in a couple years

22 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

I heard on Gopher Sports Sunday this morning on KFAN that a writer from Gopher Sports Illustrated expects Fleck to go after Ezekiel Ott and a Bison verbal (didn't catch the name).

Man, it'd be pretty disappointing losing both DE commits we've gotten. Especially with the potential Ott has. Hopefully he chooses the scholarship at UND over the PWO at UM