SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

12 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Although schools have offered both of the 5'7" 160 lb guys, it may be an either one, but not both of them situation.

solid point. Still seem like a strange and very shortsighted situation for those kids. Like I said, hard to believe they don't have parents or coaches in their ear trying to guide them a bit. Whatever, Mafe would be a nice addition but would not necessarily make or break our class. Would be a great replacement for Seguin since it sounds like that is over. Unless something changes though, you are probably correct that Mafe will not be in Grand Forks.

UND commit Ezekiel Ott is scheduled for an official visit to Minnesota for January 27th. The visit was scheduled by Mike Sherels last night. With Fleck being hired this morning it isn't for sure that Sherels will be back but most people around the Gopher program say it would be very smart of Fleck to keep him.

34 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

UND commit Ezekiel Ott is scheduled for an official visit to Minnesota for January 27th. The visit was scheduled by Mike Sherels last night. With Fleck being hired this morning it isn't for sure that Sherels will be back but most people around the Gopher program say it would be very smart of Fleck to keep him.

Ugh, hopefully nothing changes with this one. That would be really disappointing.

Just now, Hardcore Hawk said:

When do the offensive line commitments begin to come in? Just one so far, and  I would have to think with Bubba would want to emphasize that in this recruiting class after his remarks about the play of the offensive line this year.  

I thought we signed quite a few OL in the last two classes, could be wrong though as this is off the top of mind. I would expect to see a couple more come in though. 

3 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I thought we signed quite a few OL in the last two classes, could be wrong though as this is off the top of mind. I would expect to see a couple more come in though. 

Makes sense to want to stockpile on O-line, though, right? It's the biggest position group in terms of players on the field (unless you put CBs and Safeties into one category). Plus, as we saw with all the injuries this past year, it seems you can never have too many. 

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Fleck is more of a cheerleader than a head coach.  Too much Raw Raw feel good bull than I can handle.  Buy him some pom poms......

3 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I would be nervous about Fleck. One hell of a recruiter. 

If that's the case, then I would think he'd go after some bigger recruits, guys that Wisconsin and Iowa and Michigan State go after, and leave at least some of the local talent that Minnesota typically scoops up to the rest of the schools in the area. 

23 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Makes sense to want to stockpile on O-line, though, right? It's the biggest position group in terms of players on the field (unless you put CBs and Safeties into one category). Plus, as we saw with all the injuries this past year, it seems you can never have too many. 

Absolutely, no disagreement here. I would guess some OL recruits are signed in this class but likely not as many as the last two years. I also heard the staff is pretty high on some of the young OL currently in the program so if true, a good sign.

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Ugh, hopefully nothing changes with this one. That would be really disappointing.

It sucks but if we really want to compete we need to keep signing these caliber kids and keep them.  I trust our staff and the excitement they bring to recruiting as we continue to build.  The kid is a very good talent and will likely have decisions to make.  We need to work to keep his commitment.  

3 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Fleck is more of a cheerleader than a head coach.  Too much Raw Raw feel good bull than I can handle.  Buy him some pom poms......

Maybe, but looking back, that is was a lot of WMU fans said, a few years later he goes 13-1. Not too bad.

2 hours ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

If that's the case, then I would think he'd go after some bigger recruits, guys that Wisconsin and Iowa and Michigan State go after, and leave at least some of the local talent that Minnesota typically scoops up to the rest of the schools in the area. 

Apparently he wants to build a recruiting wall in a 6-7 hour radius. No word on if Mexico will pay for it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Interesting guy; he has the potential to build Minnesota into something respectable at the least -- don't forget Minnesota just went 9-4 and Fleck can recruit really well. 

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Apparently he wants to build a recruiting wall in a 6-7 hour radius. No word on if Mexico will pay for it.

Good one!!

I think there is enough Mungs in Mlps to build a wall.

Fleck needs to focus his cheerleadering  on the top 5 recruits in MN that the Goofs never land.  

4 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Good one!!

Fleck needs to focus his cheerleadering  on the top 5 recruits in MN that the Goofs never land.  

They have actually done a really good job keeping the top Minnesota guys home the last few years. Have 4 of the top 5 again this year and the other one is committed to Harvard.

17 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Fleck got commits from 2 DE's who had been committed to Western Michigan and also offered another one. Gophers previously had 0 DE commits and not a whole lot of depth there on the current roster so probably still looking for a couple more but maybe some good news for UND with them adding the 2 from Western Michigan last night.

21 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

I think we should be braced for a flip.  I've got no inside info, but they wouldn't be bringing him in if they didn't have interest.  And Ott wouldn't be going if he didn't have interest.

1 minute ago, Ozzie82 said:

I think we should be braced for a flip.  I've got no inside info, but they wouldn't be bringing him in if they didn't have interest.  And Ott wouldn't be going if he didn't have interest.

Only thing is his official visit was set with Coach Sherels the night before Fleck was hired. Many think Sherels will be retained but you never know for sure until it is actually done.

17 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Good one!!

Especially since he is more worried about bringing in his recruits from WMU than anywhere else.  6 flips last night alone.  Memo to Fleck, this isn't the MAC he is part of, it is the Pig 10. I hope he keeps going after the mac and cheese while ND schools go after the blue chip players. 

2 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

Highly doubt they offer him a scholarship.  But you never know.  If he went there to walk-on then he must really want to be a Gopher.