SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

12 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Personally, I think Bubba should absolutely put in a few phone calls to Gopher recruits, depending on the positions and what UND needs. Normally, I would say if a kid commits, then you can respect the decision, but this is a different kind of situation. I understand a kid wanting to play in a power 5 conference, but as a parent, I would have some serious reservations about my kid going to the U with everything that has happened there over the past several years. Just seems to be bad decision after bad decision.

I was under the impression coaches can't reach out to gauge interest from potential transfers; the transfer has to contact the coaches. Wrong? 

Since we're in a bit of a dead period, I thought it would be nice to get a debate going. Who on the list of commits and signings so far will have the biggest impact next season? 

I personally think that Tamas Stewart will be a big part of the defense right away, especially if Arnell isn't granted a medical redshirt. His Hudl shows great pursuit, and I think he and Reyes would work well next to each other. 

3 hours ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Since we're in a bit of a dead period, I thought it would be nice to get a debate going. Who on the list of commits and signings so far will have the biggest impact next season? 

I personally think that Tamas Stewart will be a big part of the defense right away, especially if Arnell isn't granted a medical redshirt. His Hudl shows great pursuit, and I think he and Reyes would work well next to each other. 

Agreed on Stewart.

Studs seems to go down at some point each year (kid is tough as nails though, no debate there) so I think the JC QB transfer could have an impact. 

1 hour ago, shep said:

Gotta be Johannesson right?

Along with him, I agree that Zimmerman could fill a significant role. I also like Mikey Griebel.

I'd like to see Johannesson and Oliviera together in the backfield and Santiago as a slot receiver. It'd be tough to give all three of those guys enough touches out of the backfield, but moving Santiago would make the most sense.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

I'd like to see Johannesson and Oliviera together in the backfield and Santiago as a slot receiver. It'd be tough to give all three of those guys enough touches out of the backfield, but moving Santiago would make the most sense.

This has been talked about a bit on the site. Look out! There are many who feel it's sacrilege to suggest a Santiago move out of the back field.

34 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Does Zeke Ott contribute as a true freshman? One of the bigger signings in UND's DI history, but the defensive line is one of the deeper spots going into next season

He's pretty light to step in as a true FR on the DL with the kind of depth we have. So no, he won't.

7 hours ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

In regards of biggest impact for next season, it can be said that most incoming  freshman will or should redshirt....so assumption can made that it will be a transfer by means of juco or drop down.  Tough to say who play as a true freshman. Wanzek was a huge surprise last year ....and a very pleasant surprise! 

Juco, Stewart looks great on tape and UND is in need of safety help, so he is definitely a candidate. Should play a ton of minutes.  

Transfer JJ comes in highly decorated but is in a battle at one of UNDs deepest most talented positions. Very talented!  

I truly believe it will be greibel.....very talented and ready!   Excelled in all American game against top talent. He is a Danny Woodhead /dressler clone. Not saying he will be either but by stature and way of moves he is similar.  UND needs an outside threat and his style fits UNDs style to perfection. 

4 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Agreed on Stewart.

Studs seems to go down at some point each year (kid is tough as nails though, no debate there) so I think the JC QB transfer could have an impact. 

I'd also like to see Zimmerman push Studsrud for starting time right away. Competition brings out the best in people, and I don't think Studsrud has been tested in two years. 

• Upvote 2

Not sure if it was already posted here, but SFI is reporting that Seguin (mentioned in the below article when he committed) does not appear to be in UNDs plans anymore. Sounds like he was supposed to sign over Christmas but did not. Disappointing, because he looked like a pretty good athlete. Seems to be a pattern of not being able to retain some of these Canadian commitments.

If we have really lost Seguin, I hope the coaches continue pushing for Mafe. I guess we'll see.

http://herosports.com/news/north-dakota-recruiting-adds-next-stars-fcs-college-football

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not sure if it was already posted here, but SFI is reporting that Seguin (mentioned in the below article when he committed) does not appear to be in UNDs plans anymore. Sounds like he was supposed to sign over Christmas but did not. Disappointing, because he looked like a pretty good athlete. Seems to be a pattern of not being able to retain some of these Canadian commitments.

If we have really lost Seguin, I hope the coaches continue pushing for Mafe. I guess we'll see.

http://herosports.com/news/north-dakota-recruiting-adds-next-stars-fcs-college-football

For the last time, Mafe is not coming here (barring a 180 in his thought process).  He wants to play with this two teammates and all three need to find a school that wants to give up 3 scholarships to them.  UND is not doing that.  

I will say that if he didn't want to play with his teammates UND would have had a good shot at getting him, from what I was told.

1 minute ago, UND-1 said:

For the last time, Mafe is not coming here (barring a 180 in his thought process).  He wants to play with this two teammates and all three need to find a school that wants to give up 3 scholarships to them.  UND is not doing that.  

I will say that if he didn't want to play with his teammates UND would have had a good shot at getting him, from what I was told.

I know, I've already heard that on here, which is why I hope the coaches continue to push for him and stay in contact.

At some point it may come down to the kid either picking a school, or not playing. When that time comes, I hope UND is the school that has stayed in contact with the kid. Yes, if he continues to want to play with his HS buds, then by all means, move on from him, but until that time that he says absolutely not to UND, there is still potential there.

That being said, all three appear to have now receive offers from Wyoming, but we still haven't heard any commitments. Not sure if those are all scholarship offers or not, but you have to wonder what kind of guidance these kids are getting (if any) from parents/coaches. Seems pretty strange to me.

9 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I know, I've already heard that on here, which is why I hope the coaches continue to push for him and stay in contact.

At some point it may come down to the kid either picking a school, or not playing. When that time comes, I hope UND is the school that has stayed in contact with the kid. Yes, if he continues to want to play with his HS buds, then by all means, move on from him, but until that time that he says absolutely not to UND, there is still potential there.

That being said, all three appear to have now receive offers from Wyoming, but we still haven't heard any commitments. Not sure if those are all scholarship offers or not, but you have to wonder what kind of guidance these kids are getting (if any) from parents/coaches. Seems pretty strange to me.

It also looks like all 3 have offers from UNI now, and SDSU. So you're probably right that they will go somewhere else, just strange that they all have offers, but have not committed yet.

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

It also looks like all 3 have offers from UNI now, and SDSU. So you're probably right that they will go somewhere else, just strange that they all have offers, but have not committed yet.

Although schools have offered both of the 5'7" 160 lb guys, it may be an either one, but not both of them situation.