SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

Noah Larson – ILB (Baraboo, WI)

This Baraboo standout played multiple positions in high school on both sides of the ball and did well at every spot.  He appears to be deceptively fast and is considered a strider, although his top end speed seems to be pretty good.  Always around the ball and his biggest asset is his ability to accelerate and EXPLODE through the ball carrier when tackling.  Once he gets his hands on you, you’re not going far.  Projects as inside linebacker.

Noah running indoor meet last April:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SIOUXHAWK47 said:

Noah Larson – ILB (Baraboo, WI)This Baraboo standout played multiple positions in high school on both sides of the ball and did well at every spot.  He appears to be deceptively fast and is considered a strider, although his top end speed seems to be pretty good.  Always around the ball and his biggest asset is his ability to accelerate and EXPLODE through the ball carrier when tackling.  Once he gets his hands on you, you’re not going far.  Projects as inside linebacker.

Noah running indoor meet last April:

I'm assuming he's the one twice the size of everyone else. ;)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, terbele said:

Any thoughts on recruiting and possibilities re Gophers, or would Bubba be respectful and not try to poach during a bad situation?

My guess is there will be no active recruiting but we have a former player now on our roster along with a former coach.  

33 minutes ago, terbele said:

Any thoughts on recruiting and possibilities re Gophers, or would Bubba be respectful and not try to poach during a bad situation?

Open season, in a respectful way.

Tough spot for current Gopher commits and players.

It was horrible to go thru 3 years ago at UND, I am sure no one called on our players and recruits.......ya right!!

3 minutes ago, the cornerback teacher said:

Do they keep their scholarship ? 

Each situation differs-  not sure what you want to hear.  

Some feel a scholarship should be guaranteed once given, but that's not reality.  We don't have scholarship tenure.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, the cornerback teacher said:

Do they keep their scholarship ? 

Not all the time.  If they are around for 2-3 years and do nothing to move up the ladder, they then could get their amount reviewed.  

Some kids are misses.  Need to transfer to a D2 or D3 to get playing time.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Not all the time.  If they are around for 2-3 years and do nothing to move up the ladder, they then could get their amount reviewed.  

Some kids are misses.  Need to transfer to a D2 or D3 to get playing time.

And the other side of it is when a PWO player earns a starting position and gets put on scholarship.  It happens both ways. 

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Each situation differs-  not sure what you want to hear.  

Some feel a scholarship should be guaranteed once given, but that's not reality.  We don't have scholarship tenure.

Thanks that was helpful i thought sence people was upset with players who left i thought the kids committed to the school and the school was committed to them!  

2 hours ago, the cornerback teacher said:

Thanks that was helpful i thought sence people was upset with players who left i thought the kids committed to the school and the school was committed to them!  

Not sure what your getting at. The school commits to the kid with hundreds of hours of coaching and life lessons and thousands of dollars towards education room and board and full cost of attendence. If the kid ends up being a bust then they move down the depth chart and usually aren't given a spot for fall camp. It's the harsh reality of college athletics.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I think Bubba should absolutely put in a few phone calls to Gopher recruits, depending on the positions and what UND needs. Normally, I would say if a kid commits, then you can respect the decision, but this is a different kind of situation. I understand a kid wanting to play in a power 5 conference, but as a parent, I would have some serious reservations about my kid going to the U with everything that has happened there over the past several years. Just seems to be bad decision after bad decision.

I understand that Claeys may have been somewhat of a fall guy in a bad situation, but he didn't help himself any, in tweeting support of players who wanted to boycott a bowl game in supports of fellow players who were involved in a pretty nasty situation. Supporting your teammates is good and all, but you also need to be aware of the situation. Student athletes have more than 1 set of rules to follow, there is the law, and there is also a student/athlete code of conduct. If the University sees the need to suspend the players, regardless of what comes out of the legal process, they have the right to do so. Personally, I though the players made themselves look pretty dumb and ignorant.

I also have to believe that Mark Coyle is not going to let anything tying to a sexual assault, or those types of allegations go without much attention, considering he got the job at the U because of what Norwood Teague did to get himself fired. It amazes me, how much uproar there is over Claeys getting fired. Yes he got them 2 bowl wins (Lets face it, he wasn't winning the Rose Bowl). Yes, he had a winning record (which was still underwhelming, given his schedule. But seriously, there are way more qualified coaches than Tracy Claeys, who was really in the right spot at the right time to get this job in the first place. Altogether, Claeys doesn't come across as the brightest bulb on the tree, and he showed that when he undermined the University that was paying him pretty decent money, by supporting kids that were choosing to ignore sexual assault allegations, in favor of sticking with their buddies.

Back to the original point, if there are some Gopher recruits that UND would be interested in, it is absolutely worth the phone call. Probably won't land the kids, but its still worth the call. (Of course, a lot of this depends on how fast the U announces a new coach, who he is, and what his approach is with the current players and recruits)

Per 247sports

•  
    •  
    • Eric Abojei
      Eric AbojeiRobbinsdale Cooper (Minneapolis, MN)
      OT6-4310 0.8422

•  

Top 2 prospects out of MN, both committed to the Gophers, bother with a bunch of FBS offers. Probably no shot at all, but still worth pickin up the phone, given the uncertainty of the situation. Ott wasn't really expected to go to UND either, and while there are both FBS caliber O-lineman and I'd be surprised to see a switch, its still worth looking into.

• Boye Mafe
    Boye MafeHopkins (Hopkins, MN)
    WDE6-4225 0.8247

•  

Has and offer from UND, as well as several other FCS schools. Has an offer from MN, Wyoming and Rutgers. There has been some talk about this kid wanting to land somewhere he can play with his HS buddies. Not sure how serious that is, or how important that is, but again hopefully UND is still recruiting the kid.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Already has an offer from UND. Doesn't look like he had an offer from the U, but possibly some interest. Hopefully the coaches are still fighting hard for this kid.

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see who else becomes available from a transfer standpoint. I don't think you want to waste too much effort with transfers, but again, if you can find the right guy to fit the right need, then it is worth looking at. Also want to find a good character guy, which is something I would tend to question from players who protested the bowl, or are looking to transfer because of the Claeys situation. 

I am for freedom of speech, and standing up for what you believe in; but all too often people (especially young kids) don't understand that there is a responsibility that comes with that freedom. They tend to be a little over reactive, outspoken and unaware of the full scope of the situation before they run their mouths. All too often these kids forget they have an opportunity to play big time football, for a free education; something that is pretty unique to a small percentage of athletes overall. Though, as it goes with the up and coming generation, too many of these kids think this is an entitlement rather than an opportunity. You play for the University, you don't run the University. If you're that high and mighty about how much you disagree then by all means, forfeit, your spot on the team and all of the benefits that come wi

I also find it interesting that the underclassmen kid is willing to make comments like that in an interview, but is not willing to attach his name to those comments. As for Leidner, I've never been a big fan; Glad to see him go.

Nevertheless, from a purely on the field standpoint, and talent wise, it will be interesting to see if UND or other regional FCS schools benefit from what is going on at the U.

An underclassman starter is also skeptical many players will stick around.

"I honestly don't think it matters who the coach is," he told ESPN. "People don't want to play for the administration. So I think countless people will transfer if possible.

Leidner said he wonders how many players with eligibility will come back.

"No one is happy with the administration right now. I don't know who would want to be a part of this program at this time," he said.

Really classy response by Claeys too. Solid move to make yourself attractive to other schools.

"I won't be up here freezing my ass off, so y'all enjoy the winter," Claeys told Minneapolis TV station KSTP a few hours after being fired.