SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

Just looking at prior year recruiting class OLs:

2013 - 5 recruits - Bell, Stockwell, Cox, Adams, Williams

2014 - 5 recruits - Francis, Stiner, Taylor, Aplin, Beck

2015 - 5 recruits - Grady, Rooney, Merz, Camy, Blair

2016 - 7 recruits - Mortel (RS), Helgren (RS), Hunt(RS), Tobin(RS), Nguon(RS), Russo(RS), Coe

2017 - 1 recruit so far - Kruse

Lots of turnover.  Need to start hitting the mark more often here.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

UND plays two TE's for the majority of the game.  You are good with having four total?  That is with Devore being a TE, which is still not a for sure thing.

It's not a stretch to have a RS fr OL who is burried on the depth chart come in as a "TE" in a heavy set. And yes, 4 should be enough anyway.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:51 AM, UNDvince97-01 said:

We are not recruiting any Texas kids.

Hanif Muhammad is not a UND recruit.  He appears to be another high school attention-monger though.

Kids just throw out names of schools to generate interest from others.  Sometimes the recruiting info is flat-out wrong from the recruiting sites and media, other times the school's names get mixed up.

Unless there is an alum or family tie to UND or former tie to North Dakota, we do not recruit states like California, Texas or Florida for prep kids anymore.  Unless it's a JUCO situation out of necessity, you will not see that from this staff.  The proof is in the pudding, it doesn't work.

This staff is staying in the upper midwest for recruiting and we are doing great here.

Various sources have indicated that we had offered Muhammad.  I am not sure if we had or had not done so.  He has verballed to McNeese St. - some reports had him to committing to them last summer. 

9 hours ago, AJS said:

This is turning into quite the class on paper. As mentioned above Blubaugh had offers from Wyoming and UNC, 13th best prospect by 247 in the state of Colorado. 1st team all Colorado running back after rushing for over 1900 yards (9 YPC). Listed at 6'0" 182lbs, projects at CB per SFI.

The last two Colorado commits have both had offers from FBS programs. Really amazing what this coaching staff is doing. 

Blubaugh looks real nice on film.  More secondary help the better.

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I really hope he's the answer at FS. 

They played him deep enough on film.......

He has a chance with spring ball and this summer to learn our system and be ready next fall.

Most JUCO's and even top FBS schools dummy the system down to avoid mental mistakes and because of the high turnover of players (NFL draft and 'other issues')  UND has a fairly complex defense with safety being one of the hardest to learn/know.  What will help is Cole and hopefully Arnell and their experience.

Our offers are looking like they will be filled with quality players if athletes are true to their commitments that is for sure! Should be interesting to see what kind of players fill out the class as PWOs. Those are the kids who can really make or break a class at times if you ask me. Yes, you've got to hit with scholarship offers, but sneaking some quality kids in as walk-ons is what makes for great recruiting classes.
  • Upvote 2

Based on SS's wiki, these appear to be the most highly sought after recruits that have offers from UND. Hoping they land one or two of them.

TE Devin Wilson, 6'6“, 250, Talladega (Central), AL Has offers from Jacksonville State & NDSU (plus two others)
Eric Rousemiller, 6'4“, 290, 5.3, Lakeville (South), MN (2 Star - 247) Has PWO offer from UM
OT Matt Henningsen, 6'5”, 265, 5.2, Menomonee Falls (Menomonee Falls), WI Has offers from IL St, USD & WIU
DE James Jackson, 6'3”, 220, 4.8, St. Paul (Cretin Hall Durham), MN (2 Star - 247 & Scout) Has offers from SDSU, Youngstown St, WIU, UNI & WY
DE Boye Mafe, 6'5, 220, Minnetonka (Hopkins), MN (3 Star - Scout & 247) Has offers from SDSU, UM, UNI & WY
LB Noah Harvey, 6'4”, 205, 4.5, Hartland (Arrowhead), WI Has offers from Buffalo, SDSU & WIU
LB Grant McDonald, 6'3“, 225, 4.8, Delta (South), BC Has offers from Maine & Buffalo
LB Zeke Vandenburgh, 6'3”, 215, LB Freeport (Freeport), IL Has offers from SDSU, SIU, NDSU, USD, IL St & WIU
S Matt Anderson, 6'3', 185, 4.6, Fort Wayne (Homestead), IN (1 Star - 247) Has offers from IL St, IN St, Army, Air Force & Yale

22 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Just looking at prior year recruiting class OLs:

2013 - 5 recruits - Bell, Stockwell, Cox, Adams, Williams

2014 - 5 recruits - Francis, Stiner, Taylor, Aplin, Beck

2015 - 5 recruits - Grady, Rooney, Merz, Camy, Blair

2016 - 7 recruits - Mortel (RS), Helgren (RS), Hunt(RS), Tobin(RS), Nguon(RS), Russo(RS), Coe

2017 - 1 recruit so far - Kruse

Lots of turnover.  Need to start hitting the mark more often here.

This is true, but OL tends to always be an area of high attrition in college football. The way I am looking at it this year, there might not be a lot of scholarship money left to offer OL prospects. UND returns 15 on the OL next year. There is probably only money budgeted for 2-3 during this recruiting cycle, especially if the staff feels that they have "hit" on the freshmen they red shirted last year.

On 12/20/2016 at 9:10 AM, SooToo said:

Why not #1? Can't imagine this guy, with the clock ticking on 3 years of eligibility, is coming in with any other expectation than competing to be the #1 guy. This coaching staff's mantra since they were hired has been that no one's guaranteed a starting position. After this season ended, Bubba, IIRC, identified QB play as one of three areas that needed improvement. Don't know Studsrud personally, but he strikes me as a high character guy who's respected by his team mates. His biggest attribute on the field, aside from leadership, is that he doesn't seem to make a lot of costly mistakes. But I suspect his mobility will be limited in the future due to injuries, and in terms of overall play I think UND was just average this year at the QB position.

What I have bolded in your statement is exactly what makes Studsrud a much better that average QB at the FCS level. He is perfect for UND's system because of his toughness and the fact that he doesn't make the really dumb mistakes that kill you in games. Yes, he was inconsistent at times, but he was also playing with two true freshman receivers as his primary targets much of the year. Unless a Tom Brady clone shows up on campus, Studsrud is the starter in 2017.

I like Zimmerman's arm strength and mobility, but I'm a little concerned by his low completion percentage at the JUCO last year. It's hard to tell if that is a product of the offense he was in or if he has some accuracy issues.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I really hope he's the answer at FS. 

I hope so too.   

When watching a defensive recruit on hudl, my main focus is on the intensity he brings and the push after a hit.  The recruits on the defensive side compared to offense should bring a different level of aggressiveness.   You need a recruit that's obviously talented enough but also has the intangibles.  Coaches will coach them up in coverages and schemes,etc..... but tough to make a player an aggressor...a player needs to be that when he comes in......and what I'm seeing in tamas, he has that aggressive style you can't teach.  Great defensive player. 

The one hudl video that I loved from last years recruits is rastas....the guy brings it every play!!! Very intense. Hope it translates to the field next year...and hope he's filling out, needs a little weight to those bones. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I hope so too.   

When watching a defensive recruit on hudl, my main focus is on the intensity he brings and the push after a hit.  The recruits on the defensive side compared to offense should bring a different level of aggressiveness.   You need a recruit that's obviously talented enough but also has the intangibles.  Coaches will coach them up in coverages and schemes,etc..... but tough to make a player an aggressor...a player needs that when he comes in......and what I'm seeing is tamas, he has that aggressive style you can't teach.  Great defensive player. 

The one hudl video that I love from last years recruits is rastas....the guy brings it every play!!! Very intense. Hope it translates to the field next year...and hope he's filling out, needs a little weight to those bones. 

Rastas is my darkhorse from last years class.