SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

We've brought in 12 OLs, including Coe, in the last two years. We have two committed so far for 2017. This in addition to stockwell, Bell, Aplin, Taylor, Cox and Stiner. 

Our 2015 class toook a hit, tho, with the losses of Grady and Merz and the fizzling out of Camy. 

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

We've brought in 12 OLs, including Coe, in the last two years. We have two committed so far for 2017. This in addition to stockwell, Bell, Aplin, Taylor, Cox and Stiner. 

Our 2015 class toook a hit, tho, with the losses of Grady and Merz and the fizzling out of Camy. 

We only have 1 OL commit right now unless you know something we don't of course. More beef.

2 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I was just wondering. How are the younger guys looking so far?

From Tom Miller:  "There are some strong reports on the redshirting freshmen hogs, especially guard Ryan Tobin, tackle Noah Mortel and center/guard Nathan Nguon" 

Just now, FlinFlan80 said:

Hearing #UND has gotten a commitment from Juco QB Andrew Zimmerman of Fresno City College. Spent one year at EWU. Has three years remaining.

I've said it before and have kind of been a broken record, but I thought this was the most important piece to this years recruiting class (are a couple others that are close). It's great that (1) Able to enroll this January (2) Is a Sophomore. Looks to have a good arm and ok wheels. Is it fair to assume that the coaches think this guy will be the solid #2 going into next year?

• Upvote 1

Just now, AJS said:

I've said it before and have kind of been a broken record, but I thought this was the most important piece to this years recruiting class (are a couple others that are close). It's great that (1) Able to enroll this January (2) Is a Sophomore. Looks to have a good arm and ok wheels. Is it fair to assume that the coaches think this guy will be the solid #2 going into next year?

I'm sure the coaches will say it will come down to who performs best in camp and practice, but I don't think they would have brought him in if they didn't expect him to win the #2 spot. Definitely a good piece to the puzzle. Happy to know that if something happens to Keaton, we are not fully relying on what we currently have on the roster.

• Upvote 1

I am wondering how he goes from a potential walk on at Washington St, to being at Eastern Washington, to playing at a JUCO.  I am sure the story will come out.  But seems like we either are taking a chance on a guy that hasn't lived up to potential or we are finding a kid with a ton of upside that is out to prove his worth.

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I am wondering how he goes from a potential walk on at Washington St, to being at Eastern Washington, to playing at a JUCO.  I am sure the story will come out.  But seems like we either are taking a chance on a guy that hasn't lived up to potential or we are finding a kid with a ton of upside that is out to prove his worth.

Just speculation, but maybe the guy take a scholarship opportunity vs a PWO opportunity. Then gets buried on the depth chart at E.Wash (not unreasonable when you look at who they have had the past few seasons). Moves to JUCO to keep playing. Or maybe he just didn't like E. Wash as a school.

Regardless, it is additional depth and competition which is definitely a good thing.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I'm sure it's a little bit of both. It appears he was a pretty good FCS recruit given he originally was going to walk on to a P5 school and then went to EWU. 

*After reading Tom's article it appears the injury his Senior year hurt his recruiting. 

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Just speculation, but maybe the guy take a scholarship opportunity vs a PWO opportunity. Then gets buried on the depth chart at E.Wash (not unreasonable when you look at who they have had the past few seasons). Moves to JUCO to keep playing. Or maybe he just didn't like E. Wash as a school.

Regardless, it is additional depth and competition which is definitely a good thing.

This would be my guess as well. It's important when you look at EWU's QB depth chart that it's very young. Based off reading their roster there were 3 players going for the starting job at camp, the returning starter (SR) and two Sophomores (one being Gubrud). That's a tough depth chart to crack. 

Can't wait for Spring Ball, we need him to be the solid #2 we haven't had the last couple of years. I did like his scrambling ability I saw on his Hudl film.