SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

4 minutes ago, Risky said:

People already seem excited about this recruiting class.  How much of tis excitement is typical cheerleading and  how much is fact.  Are we really putting together a significant class?

I imagine the quality of athletes being recruited is part of it. Also, the fact we are going head to head with schools like Montana State and winning recruiting battles is another reason for optimism.

2 minutes ago, Risky said:

People already seem excited about this recruiting class.  How much of tis excitement is typical cheerleading and  how much is fact.  Are we really putting together a significant class?

I've only been on this board for 3 years, and there is always excitement.  But seems to me each of the last two years the recruiting classes do seem to be getting better.   And there was an article published somewhere about how we were having a top 20 (can't remember if the number was 20 or not) recruiting class at the FCS level.  And that was before we've gotten some of these new guys that really seem to have a lot of talent, plus JJ transferring.  It seems like we are getting some really good skill guys, however I will agree with one of the other posters.....need some high end OL guys to really make things go. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I've only been on this board for 3 years, and there is always excitement.  But seems to me each of the last two years the recruiting classes do seem to be getting better.   And there was an article published somewhere about how we were having a top 20 (can't remember if the number was 20 or not) recruiting class at the FCS level.  And that was before we've gotten some of these new guys that really seem to have a lot of talent, plus JJ transferring.  It seems like we are getting some really good skill guys, however I will agree with one of the other posters.....need some high end OL guys to really make things go. 

HERO Sports actually said we were putting together one of the top FCS recruiting classes in the nation, and that was in October.

http://herosports.com/news/north-dakota-recruiting-adds-next-stars-fcs-college-football

13 minutes ago, Risky said:

Tough to tell how great a class is until they've been on campus a couple years, but our D line commits, Johannesson, and Griebel are very highly regarded.  Rest of excitement comes from watching highlight videos (where, admittedly, most prospects will appear unstoppable), seeing needed positions/skill sets addressed, and trusting in the coaches.

9 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Any news on Boye Mafe? I read on here that he had made a trip to Grand Forks for a visit, not sure if that actually happened or if it was just speculation. 247 still says he has not committed.

The latest I am hearing on Mafe is he wants to play with his two teammates, Lofton and Campbell.  All three want to go to the same school, which is about the most short-sighted thing ever but so be it.  SDSU is the only school that offered all three of them so that is probably where they will all end up.   What happens when one flunks out or one hates it?  Then one of the others realizes they only came there because of their buddy and he is now leaving.  :silly:

22 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

The latest I am hearing on Mafe is he wants to play with his two teammates, Lofton and Campbell.  All three want to go to the same school, which is about the most short-sighted thing ever but so be it.  SDSU is the only school that offered all three of them so that is probably where they will all end up.   What happens when one flunks out or one hates it?  Then one of the others realizes they only came there because of their buddy and he is now leaving.  :silly:

Might be the most ridiculous thing I've hear. Though according to 247 all three hold offers from SDSU, UNI, Wyoming

Campbell and Lofton both have offers from NDSU, but Mafe does not. Both also have offers from Montana State, but Mafe does not.

These kids need to open their eyes a bit. You would think taking some of these recruiting trips would do that. Primary goal should not be to play with your HS buddies. All these kids could have good football careers. Hopefully they each go to the school that is right for them.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Boye-Mafe-95018/RecruitInterests

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Deyon-Campbell-85672/RecruitInterests

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Malik-Lofton-92701/RecruitInterests

12 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Might be the most ridiculous thing I've hear. Though according to 247 all three hold offers from SDSU, UNI, Wyoming

And with 2 of them being 5'8" 170 lbs, decent chance the schools that have offered all 3 are only willing to take 2.

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

And with 2 of them being 5'8" 170 lbs, decent chance the schools that have offered all 3 are only willing to take 2.

Playing in the Big Sky and seeing a ton of length and speed, I won't be too upset if we miss out on the 5'8 guys. At the same time, I will be excited about the 6'2+ DB's and WR's. That being said, I'll take Mafe.

36 minutes ago, Westside said:

From an SFI tweet, they are guessing the new commit is Tyler Shannon, a Safety from Colorado 

Good size at 6'2", 185 lbs. Played both RB / WR as well as on Defense. Stats don't blow you away, more receiving yards than rushing. 26 Tackles and 2 INTs on defense also returned Punts and Kickoffs. I haven't seen him play, but love his size and that he played 3 different positions. Get an athlete with good size and probably pretty good wheels and coach him up!

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

Good size at 6'2", 185 lbs. Played both RB / WR as well as on Defense. Stats don't blow you away, more receiving yards than rushing. 26 Tackles and 2 INTs on defense also returned Punts and Kickoffs. I haven't seen him play, but love his size and that he played 3 different positions. Get an athlete with good size and probably pretty good wheels and coach him up!

He was rated as one of the top RBs at his level in CO by some of the local media.  Has to be a decent athlete.  Like the size.  

1 hour ago, Risky said:

I know talking about recruiting rankings is immediately shot down here, and they are obviously subjective, but the ranking levels of the individuals in UND's classes are rising each year.  No question that the improvement on the field, the new facilities, and the continuance of the coaching staff is paying off. 

11 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

I know talking about recruiting rankings is immediately shot down here, and they are obviously subjective, but the ranking levels of the individuals in UND's classes are rising each year.  No question that the improvement on the field, the new facilities, and the continuance of the coaching staff is paying off. 

Agreed, recruiting rankings are pretty imprecise, because you never know if a kid will develop the way you hope. Signing day is great, because everyone is happy with their recruiting class. Truth is, you never know how good it is for another 2-3 years. Even so, it is fun to see who we get, and what the potential is (kind of the same as why the NFL draft is fun).

Ranking aside, I think we can all see that recruiting classes have gotten better each year under Bubba. Coaches and facilities are big factors. Winning is one of the biggest though, and aside from that frustrating loss to Richmond, the team had a great year and won the Big Sky. Winning is certainly a factor for these kids. Exciting times for UND.

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, recruiting rankings are pretty imprecise, because you never know if a kid will develop the way you hope. Signing day is great, because everyone is happy with their recruiting class. Truth is, you never know how good it is for another 2-3 years. Even so, it is fun to see who we get, and what the potential is (kind of the same as why the NFL draft is fun).

Ranking aside, I think we can all see that recruiting classes have gotten better each year under Bubba. Coaches and facilities are big factors. Winning is one of the biggest though, and aside from that frustrating loss to Richmond, the team had a great year and won the Big Sky. Winning is certainly a factor for these kids. Exciting times for UND.

Getting kids to camps and evaluating them has been the biggest difference for UND.  Our attendance numbers for camps the last few years has been outstanding. 

• Upvote 3