SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

On December 12, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Dagger said:

JJ said in an interview he considered both NDSU and UND and he decided UND was the best fit.  I don't know what NDSU offered but apparently the door was open to go to NDSU too. (unless JJ is lying).   So apparently  NDSU wanted him too. 

Again nobody is saying NDSU wasn't interested in JJ. What I have heard and I beleive even Siouxfootball Insider has mentioned is Klieman told him they didn't have any RB scholly money this year, but could have some in the future. (they have 4 or 5 in the program that will be back next year and already have a commitment from a very promising back from Wisconsin.  JJ mentioned he talked to both programs and felt Bubba wanted him more, as evidenced by his scholly offer and being in his living room Sunday.  I am not saying he would have picked NDSU if offers were the same, he very likely still would have gone to UND. But obviously in his situation, UND wanted him more, and I think he made the best decision for himself. Would you prefer NDSU coaches pull offers to commits or yank scholarships from kids in the program to take a transfer just because he is a local kid?  

11 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Again nobody is saying NDSU wasn't interested in JJ. What I have heard and I beleive even Siouxfootball Insider has mentioned is Klieman told him they didn't have any RB scholly money this year, but could have some in the future. (they have 4 or 5 in the program that will be back next year and already have a commitment from a very promising back from Wisconsin.  JJ mentioned he talked to both programs and felt Bubba wanted him more, as evidenced by his scholly offer and being in his living room Sunday.  I am not saying he would have picked NDSU if offers were the same, he very likely still would have gone to UND. But obviously in his situation, UND wanted him more, and I think he made the best decision for himself. Would you prefer NDSU coaches pull offers to commits or yank scholarships from kids in the program to take a transfer just because he is a local kid?  

This is a very logical assessment, much appreciated.

15 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Noticed Paul Rudolph is following Hayden Rettig QB transferring from Rutgers. Only would have one year of eligibility remaining so not sure if a real good fit but would provide nice insurance next year. 

So Rettig starts next year, Keaton redshirts, Boltman redshirts, Keaton plays the following season and Boltman then comes in much more prepared.

jk, I know this doesn't happen. I expect Keaton to have a big year next year. Hopefully with a full cast of Mercer, Georges, Toivenen, Wanzek and McKinney to throw to. Give Santiago some time at WR. Oliveira, Gordon, Johanneson in the backfield.

1 minute ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

You want to redshirt your 3 year starting QB who was a captain as a junior and will be again as a senior?  He's a team leader, on and off the field.  Completely disagree.

No chance Bubba does that to Studsrud.  They will not look for a QB to come in and start next season, specifically with only 1 year of eligibility left.  They will bring someone in with at least 2 years of eligibility left as insurance and bridge to the next starting QB (transfer, Heidlebaugh, Bolinske, Boltmann or otherwise). 

Studsrud is our starting QB next season, and he should be.

He said jk

11 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

They aren't already doing that when applicable? 

• Upvote 1

Take Chase Teiken from West Fargo off the recruiting board - he committed to Northern State.  Great news for this kid, I'm sure with the JJ transfer & UND already loaded at RB he felt Northern was a better fit.

I hope the program still nabs a couple ND kids that are still there...  Mauch, Jepsen, Hankey, the Hofers, Santos... to name a few.  Getting local talent drives the fan base.

39 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I've heard the Hofers are NDSU or bust, so I would basically take them off the board. I agree though. Hankey and Mauch would be two nice gets as PWO.  Both have nice size and athletic abilities. 

Some kids from around here let that be known and all they do is cost themselves money.  Even if you are in love with NDSU and want to go there, why let it be known?   Their staff then knows that and offers a PWO or a couple bucks when there was potential for more if UND was involved as a serious option. 

These days with the rising cost of college every little angle can add up.  

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Would you prefer NDSU coaches pull offers to commits or yank scholarships from kids in the program to take a transfer just because he is a local kid?  

I'd prefer NDSU does what it deems best for NDSU and accepts the consequences (good or bad).
I'd prefer UND does what it deems best for UND and accepts the consequences (good or bad). 

Control what's yours to control. Accept what comes with it.