SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

8 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Either JJ or Greg eslinger would be the top recruited high school seniors out of ND. Wentz and kleinsasser ended up being very very good players but were not as highly recruited.   

Feels like you may be forgetting some players who have also played at FBS schools recently. Those two aren't the only ND players to play FBS football in the last 10-15 years. A simple google search would be warranted in this case.

15 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Feels like you may be forgetting some players who have also played at FBS schools recently. Those two aren't the only ND players to play FBS football in the last 10-15 years. A simple google search would be warranted in this case.

Hometown boy Brooks Bollinger, the best QB to come out of GF Central, had a good career at Wisconsin but not all that great in the NFL.

9 hours ago, planet2county said:

I will have to check on Mark Slater, Doug Beaudoin, Phil Farris. and Steve Cichy to see if they were recruited or walk-ons.  There are probably others.

Phil Farris, Langdon High School! I know he went to North Carolina, don't know about the scholarship info. His family was from North Carolina.

Need I remind everyone how the WR corps for the season literally changed in a snap? (Sorry about that Clive. Get well, man.) 

Rather than bemoaning "four or more deep" at RB, how about we spread this same problem around to other positions. 

Depth with no drop-off is the key to successful programs. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

He is not coming to UND to play fullback........

There were more than a few plays this season where if Norberg has more than a first gear he'd have been gone. 

The traditional two-back set worked for many years. It's just fallen out of vogue recently with the scourge of the spread offense. Saying that, and based on a Schlossman tweet last night (3 year anniversary was yesterday) ... CHUCK THE PIGSKIN ... works great when it's working.

I'd rather get 5 yards per play by having backs fall on top of crushed defenders; repeat. 

59 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

JJ apparently meet/spoke with both UND and NDSU this past weekend...................................I guess he ultimately picked UND because Klieman told him "Son...you're not good enough to be a Bizun".

Last night on sports it said that both schools wanted JJ.    No one is going to believe that NDSU wouldn't want him on their squad.

10 hours ago, Dagger said:

WDAY having live chat tonight.  All the Fargo media are really coming up with a lot of reasons why JJ didn't commit to NDSU.     NDSU doesn't have any scholarship money left at RB,  he's not good enough,  NDSU doesn't have the academics he wants,  he isn't as good as Morlock was,  and on and on and on.   Kind of funny.   There just have to be a reason that is satisfactory to them.  Not having scholarship money is laughable.  There is no way NDSU would not find money for a Fargo kid that is as good as he is.

They wanted him from UM badly!  I heard it straight from the ag school hc.

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

He is not coming to UND to play fullback........

There were more than a few plays this season where if Norberg has more than a first gear he'd have been gone. 

The traditional two-back set worked for many years. It's just fallen out of vogue recently with the scourge of the spread offense. Saying that, and based on a Schlossman tweet last night (3 year anniversary was yesterday) ... CHUCK THE PIGSKIN ... works great when it's working.

I'd rather get 5 yards per play by having backs fall on top of crushed defenders; repeat. 

From NDSU's current roster:
22    King Frazier    RB    5-11    212    Sr.    Greenwood, Mo.    Lee's Summit HS    Nebraska
25    Chase Morlock    RB    6-0    223    Sr.    Moorhead, Minn.    Moorhead HS     
8    Bruce Anderson    RB    5-11    215    So.    Ruskin, Fla.    Newsome HS     
10    Lance Dunn    RB    5-9    207    So.    Waterloo, Iowa    Waterloo West HS     
24    Demaris Purifoy    RB    6-1    198    RFr.    Wauwatosa, Wis.    Wauwatosa West HS     
28    Ty Brooks    RB    5-9    173    RFr.    Fargo, N.D.    Fargo South HS     
30    Adam Cofield    RB    5-11    198    Fr.    Lee's Summit, Mo.    Blue Springs South HS

From UND's current roster: 
27    Oscar Nevermann    RB    6-1    215    RJr.    Stockholm, Sweden (Wyoming) (Rudbeck-Valfrihetens)
42    Kyle Norberg    RB    6-1    240    Jr.    Cary Grove, Ill. (Cary Grove High School)
5    Brady Oliveira    RB    5-10    225    So.    Winnipeg, Manitoba (Oak Park High School)
22    John Santiago    RB    5-9    180    So.    St. Francis, Minn. (St. Francis High School)
28    Austin Gordon    RB    5-9    205    RFr.    Maple Grove, Minn. (Wayzata High School)

From the Gopher roster:
27    Johannesson, James  RB    6-1    230    RFr.    Fargo, N.D. (Fargo South HS)

11 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Plenty of UND fans that are the same way. Every school out there has fans like that.

HA ... I know many NDSU fans as well (hard not to these days) and of course there are many good, fair people in that contingent. With that said, the (perhaps natural) arrogance that has come about after 5 straight national titles is too much. College football needs more parity than that or else programs get big heads and others dislike them. Just the way it is. Same goes for Alabama over the past 5 years or so. 

45 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

HA ... I know many NDSU fans as well (hard not to these days) and of course there are many good, fair people in that contingent. With that said, the (perhaps natural) arrogance that has come about after 5 straight national titles is too much. College football needs more parity than that or else programs get big heads and others dislike them. Just the way it is. Same goes for Alabama over the past 5 years or so. 

I won't disagree with ya on that. For as many good fans as there are, there are some really terrible ones. People who basically think if you aren't ranked #1 then you are a terrible football team. Not a fan of that kind of thinking. There are plenty of really good team not called NDSU. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

He ain't playing fullback.

I agree.

I thought when reading this earlier this morning....what about Brady at FB on occasion since he is such a bruiser.  I doubt Brady would want to move to FB and I doubt they would, but would be cool to see two of our stud RB's in the backfield at the same time.  

22 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Sounds like McKinney will be coming in during the semester break.  This article, which is a good read, says he's signing on Wednesday, which I believe is when the mid-years can sign.

http://m.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Change-of-scenery-works-out-for-former-West-Brook-10790768.php

Well that is a tear jerker of an article. Hope everything works out for this kid, on and off the field. Sounds like he had made several good decisions in life, without much guidance on which path to take. Also sounds like he could be a big time role model for his nephew. Very excited to see how his career plays out.

On the football field, I really hope we see him as a slot receiver. We're deep at RB, and this kid could be the burner type of WR we have been missing. Anyone know if he would expect to play next year? Not sure how that works with a kid starting school mid-year. It'll definitely get him up to speed quickly. I'd assume he plans to stick around through the summer as well.

• Upvote 2