SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

Two more:

S Rourke Freeburg, 6'2", 200, 4.6, Scottsdale (Desert Mountain), AZ  First offer

Ath Mikey Griebel, 5'9", 185, 4.5, Littleton (Columbine), CO  Has offers from UNC, MT St. and various DII offers.  Brother just graduated from MSU - he was a WR and captain. 

2 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Two more:

S Rourke Freeburg, 6'2", 200, 4.6, Scottsdale (Desert Mountain), AZ  First offer

Ath Mikey Griebel, 5'9", 185, 4.5, Littleton (Columbine), CO  Has offers from UNC, MT St. and various DII offers.  Brother just graduated from MSU - he was a WR and captain. 

Griebel - also has Air Force offer... hit ND radar last season as former Sioux All-American Chris Kuper was helping coach at Columbine HS (CO)....projected as inside slot receiver...

Trivia fun ---> Mikey's brother Mitch threw the double pass TD for Montana State in Alerus last fall.     Griebel's junior season highlights are on You Tube.  Tried to attach & failed.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Hawks_Win_Again said:

34 year HS football coach & yes, father to Mikey...... ND is VERY high on his list.... I was lucky enough to join him last summer at elite camp.... Class coaches, fantastic facilities, and we really enjoyed Grand Forks...... Chris Kuper insisted we did not leave town without at least 2 meals at the Red Pepper.....     Loved it.

That is great - glad that you both enjoyed your stay in GF and the UND experience. Yes, you can't visit GF without visiting the Pepper!

It would be great to see Mikey in a UND uniform next year!  You are correct - the coaching is the real deal.  Honest, straight forward while caring for the young men who wear the Green & White!

1 hour ago, Hawks_Win_Again said:

34 year HS football coach & yes, father to Mikey...... ND is VERY high on his list.... I was lucky enough to join him last summer at elite camp.... Class coaches, fantastic facilities, and we really enjoyed Grand Forks...... Chris Kuper insisted we did not leave town without at least 2 meals at the Red Pepper.....     Loved it.

That is awesome to hear you both liked UND that much!  

Yes it's awesome and gratifying that you and your son enjoyed the experience but not surprising! UND has a long history of football success and student-athlete success. In the end it's about the education and the life experience which is also where UND shines. When he makes his formal decision know there is always a place for player parents in the tailgating area. 

1 hour ago, Hawks_Win_Again said:

Great.  Not many coaches like Bubba Schweigert around anymore, IMO.  Puts a lot of stress on character and doing things the right way.  Not surprising that he's turned our program around in such a short period of time.  Hope it works out for Mikey to come.

• Upvote 1

Sure sounds like the coaches are going after the right kind of players.  We want guys with good raw talent but are not getting a lot of offers from the big boys.   Bring them in and mold them to our style football and watch them grow in the sport.   Looking forward to the verbals rolling in eventually.

West Fargo NG Brandon Metz committed to NDSU. Said a scholarship for wrestling and walk on for football but I believe he needs to be on football scholarship if he's getting anything. Not sure if UND offered him but they probably would have eventually....nice player. I would expect his teammate Zach Willis to follow him and verbal to SU shortly. 

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:
User Actions
 Following
x_RaRRJ9_bigger.jpgZach Willis@zachwillis57

After a lot of thinking these past few weeks i have my mind made up and I've decided to move my commitment date to July 4th.

Any thoughts on how realistic it is that we land this kid? Definitely tough to out-recruit NDSU on some of these guys. Hope we can land him though.

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Any thoughts on how realistic it is that we land this kid? Definitely tough to out-recruit NDSU on some of these guys. Hope we can land him though.

No clue but I would imagine he's leaning toward SU as he's a hometown kid. If a particular academic major that UND offers exclusively is a factor then all bets are off.

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I know his family and they are huge Bison supporters.  I'm guessing that now that he has an NDSU offer it may be a formality - guessing that's why he "moved up" his commitment date.  I guess it is possible that there is something he likes about UND over NDSU, but definitely an uphill battle.