SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NDSU

SWSiouxMN

While I agree with the main premise, UND had no chance at landing Jacobson and I don't think anyone was completely sold on Werner. I know UND did look at him though I don't know if they ever offered. Prior to Werner and Jacobson, NDSU hadn't had a ND kid on scholarship since 2010. UND does have one ND kid on the roster (Richman - walkon) and previously had a handful of local kids with Brekke (EGF, close enough), Allard, Mathison, Benter. Hasn't exactly been a ton of talent coming out of ND that either school has grabbed. 

I also believe there is a NDSU tie for Werner and UND's shot of landing him was very slim.  

I personally have no problem with the build of UND's roster.  There is not a lot of obvious mid major talent that comes out of North Dakota.  The staff is recruiting Minneapolis and Iowa so its not flying over 6 states to find talent consistently.   

• Upvote 1

While I agree with the main premise, UND had no chance at landing Jacobson and I don't think anyone was completely sold on Werner. I know UND did look at him though I don't know if they ever offered. Prior to Werner and Jacobson, NDSU hadn't had a ND kid on scholarship since 2010. UND does have one ND kid on the roster (Richman - walkon) and previously had a handful of local kids with Brekke (EGF, close enough), Allard, Mathison, Benter. Hasn't exactly been a ton of talent coming out of ND that either school has grabbed. 

Yes, correct, but when you look at the state adjacent to North Dakota (Minnesota), NDSU has grabbed some really good ones, with the best DI player being Ben Woodside.

North Dakota heavily focuses on Iowa due to Jones' roots; however, they also have attempted to recruit further south and that hasn't necessarily worked.

Point is, there is a combination of recruiting and developing that goes into putting good players out on the floor. Jones has recruited talented players, but they don't seem to improve. Could where those players are recruited from make a difference in terms of their development and long-term commitment?

When it all comes down to it, the coaching/teaching these student-athletes receive is the most important; NDSU has recently been superior in that category relative to UND.

Yes, correct, but when you look at the state adjacent to North Dakota (Minnesota), NDSU has grabbed some really good ones, with the best DI player being Ben Woodside.

North Dakota heavily focuses on Iowa due to Jones' roots; however, they also have attempted to recruit further south and that hasn't necessarily worked.

Point is, there is a combination of recruiting and developing that goes into putting good players out on the floor. Jones has recruited talented players, but they don't seem to improve. Could where those players are recruited from make a difference in terms of their development and long-term commitment?

When it all comes down to it, the coaching/teaching these student-athletes receive is the most important; NDSU has recently been superior in that category relative to UND.

I actually thought the past 5-7 years or so, UND has done better in Minnesota than NDSU. The only real impact player recently I can think of is Bjorklund and maybe Felt. UND does go to Iowa a bit more (due to Jones roots as you mentioned) but it seemed like NDSU focused more on Wisconsin instead on Minnesota. UND got both Hooker and Shanks (when he transferred) over NDSU.  Not sure you can really count someone like Woodside against UND when NDSU was able to recruit him with the already made decision of moving up.

I do agree that player development is more of an issue than recruiting, though again, it is tough to know or quantify how much UND may have had the deck stacked against them with transition and the added bonus of the nickname issues. Seems the current staff has been able to recruit talented guys that have slipped through cracks for whatever reason, but quite a few of those guys did not improve as much as most people thought they would over their career.

• Upvote 1

In recruiting, I have always felt that you should start locally and then build outward from there. It just makes sense to fill needs with local kids if they are there; then you branch out into adjacent states (Minnesota, South Dakota) and other states in the region (Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin) and even north of the border (Manitoba).

• Upvote 2

Bernstine? Or maybe Collins?

Add Cashman and Avants, even Richman.  But that would require coaching ;)

I would like to see Collins defend that position more, he did well in HS.  Body to bang with and athleticism to get up.  This game is probably going to be big man by committee, but how many guys is Coach Jones  going to try.  If Shanks still isn't feeling right, he has to have quick leash.  If he is feeling better, he should recall last years game and do all he can to show UND has a post player too. 

I see Kolpack wrote another pump piece about the Summit RPI.  Problem is he pretty much lied about the numbers.  

The Summit was ranked #12 overall when he tweeted yesterday and are still #12 today when he published the article.  He claims they were #10.

Last updated - Wed Dec 9 13:16:56 PST 2015

Capture.jpg

He says the Summit has "6 teams in the Top 151 as of Wednesday".   NDSU is the sixth team at #155 as of Wednesdays rankings.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3900401-impressive-mens-basketball-wins-have-summit-league-reaching-all-time-high-rpi

I see Kolpack wrote another pump piece about the Summit RPI.  Problem is he pretty much lied about the numbers.  

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3900401-impressive-mens-basketball-wins-have-summit-league-reaching-all-time-high-rpi 

He didn't have time to double check everything (or mention RPI is worthless this early in the season) because he had to hurry up and write his blog post whining about how people won't talk to him. Poor Caillou.

• Upvote 1

The Summit was ranked #12 overall when he tweeted yesterday and are still #12 today when he published the article.  He claims they were #10.

Last updated - Wed Dec 9 13:16:56 PST 2015

Capture.jpg

He says the Summit has "6 teams in the Top 151 as of Wednesday".   NDSU is the sixth team at #155 as of Wednesdays rankings.

The Summit league is #10 according to CBS who pays a lot of money to broadcast basketball

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/conference

Could care less about Kolpack comments...both the big Sky and summit are 1 bid leagues. Low major...not mids in my opinion. Just have win in 3 games in March. Jones needs better personal on roster, bottom line.

Don't tell Bison fans this, they'll just plug their ears and yell RPI over and over again.

• Upvote 1

Could care less about Kolpack comments...both the big Sky and summit are 1 bid leagues. Low major...not mids in my opinion. Just have win in 3 games in March. Jones needs better personal on roster, bottom line.

Bingo!!!!  Win the conference tournament you are dancing, lose the conference tournament you are dancing somewhere other than March Madness.

• Upvote 1