SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NDSU

SWSiouxMN

I wouldn't be completely surprised if this game doesn't sell out.  Interest in this program is at an all time low, no question about it.

When you consider how much the program was struggling 10 years ago (sub-.500 record and home losses to both Mayville St. and Minot St.), that's a sad commentary on the state of the program, but the attendance numbers don't lie.

I walked out of the Scheels Arena midway through the 3rd qtr of last years' debacle (should've left even before).  Said I'm not making the effort or spending the money to watch a Jones-led team again.  This post & occasionally scanning the Fire Jones thread is as much attention as I'll pay the basketball team this year.

• Upvote 3

I walked out of the Scheels Arena midway through the 3rd qtr of last years' debacle (should've left even before).  Said I'm not making the effort or spending the money to watch a Jones-led team again.  This post & occasionally scanning the Fire Jones thread is as much attention as I'll pay the basketball team this year.

I didn't make the drive over there but watched it on TV.  Turned it off with a couple mins left in first half.  

I did not watch this year's game vs. UNI but will say that last years effort vs. NDSU was the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen when it comes to UND athletics.  The football team got destroyed a few times in the past 3-4 years but they appeared to be playing hard, at least.  

I will be attending the UND-NDSU game on Friday, as well. Last season, I drove down to Fargo with an old friend of mine who is neutral (believe it or not) as far as UND and NDSU goes; he just expected a good game.  Needless to say, that didn't happen. He wasn't too impressed by UND's lack of competitiveness. As for Friday's game, I will be going and not expecting too much. If UND doesn't at least play this one close, it won't go over well (i.e., attendance for Big Sky Conference play will be very, very bad). 

Dexter Werner > Shanks or any other big we put against him.  Do we have anyone that can slow him down?  Totally dominated us last year!

There's a little more film on big Dex now. Averaging 8 and 6 in about 24 minutes per game. Requires an active defender who doesn't jump on his shot fakes and maintain good positioning on him or he could have another good game.

That was grounds for canning Jones right there...losing a Bismarck kid to NDSU. 

Agreed. Very little North Dakota representation on the UND roster whereas NDSU has been to the NCAA tournament with solid production from North Dakota kids (Werner and Jacobson). Not acceptable.

Reminds me of the issues coming out of the football program back in 2012 and 2013...

If you can't recruit and develop local talent, you won't make it as a college coach - that simple. I'm disappointed it has taken this long for Faison to realize that. 

• Upvote 2

I'll be watching on TV from Mpls, but it is definitely getting discouraging to watch Jones team. I don't care how good UNI is, that kind of beat down is just unacceptable. Looks at SDSU and USD; both who have beat the goofs. Put our team out their, and I beat we get blown out. Not because we don't have the talent, it is more so the style of play.

I watched the first part of the second half against waldord, and after seeing missed shot after missed shot after missed shot, I had to turn the channel. Hope the boys can compete on Friday though. Good win against Bradley, hopefully this team finds momentum.

Agreed. Very little North Dakota representation on the UND roster whereas NDSU has been to the NCAA tournament with solid production from North Dakota kids (Werner and Jacobson). Not acceptable.

Reminds me of the issues coming out of the football program back in 2012 and 2013...

If you can't recruit and develop local talent, you won't make it as a college coach - that simple. I'm disappointed it has taken this long for Faison to realize that. 

While I agree with the main premise, UND had no chance at landing Jacobson and I don't think anyone was completely sold on Werner. I know UND did look at him though I don't know if they ever offered. Prior to Werner and Jacobson, NDSU hadn't had a ND kid on scholarship since 2010. UND does have one ND kid on the roster (Richman - walkon) and previously had a handful of local kids with Brekke (EGF, close enough), Allard, Mathison, Benter. Hasn't exactly been a ton of talent coming out of ND that either school has grabbed. 

• Upvote 2