SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

You actually want to yank a player's scholarship and tell him he's now welcome to walk on?  Even though he has done nothing wrong?  Seriously?  If that's the kind of coaching character example you want to set I'm glad you are not coaching and I'm even happier I'm not sending my son to play for you.

Because of thinking like yours the Big Ten changed their scholarship policies.  They believe it's unethical to have scholarships be year-to-year and have instituted a guaranteed 4 year scholarship.  Obviously the B1G has more money to play with vs. UND but the main point is this: If a coaching staff makes a mistake on a player, or has 9.5% of their scholarships wrapped up in one position on the team, then that is on the coaches - not the players.

On other college teams the staff has a meeting with a player and explains to them that they will likely be fourth string next year.  The player can make the decision to leave or not.  If they stay their scholarship will be honored, if they leave the scholarship is revoked.  But under no circumstance do coaching staffs sit a scholarship player down and pull their scholly and invite them to walk on.  It's unethical. 

You need to realize that the staff did not recruit either of these backup QB's.  They owe them nothing.  That is the harsh reality of college athletics and the reason why so many transfer after a coaching change.  To have two full rides tied up in your 2nd and 3rd string QB's and neither is very good is bad for the team overall.  Very bad.  If those two are never going to play again, barring injury, why would they deserve a full ride scholarship from a new staff?

• Upvote 2

Let me say this up front: The following is intended in NO WAY to demean any of the outgoing seniors

But, when I look at what UND is graduating out, the losses are not devastating. Yes, 3 OL and an all-time great LB. Yes, some contributors that are very solid and we felt when they got hurt during the season. But not a class of 22 starters or former starters, 13 contributors. 

That tells me a great deal of a 7-4 season (that was two quarters short of 9-2) was non-seniors. 

Young men, next man up, time to step up. 

PS - The NCAA doesn't think you're worthy. How's that taste? Savor it all summer ... and beyond. (Spit it back at them about 14 months from now.) 

• Upvote 2

You need to realize that the staff did not recruit either of these backup QB's.  They owe them nothing.  That is the harsh reality of college athletics and the reason why so many transfer after a coaching change.  To have two full rides tied up in your 2nd and 3rd string QB's and neither is very good is bad for the team overall.  Very bad.  If those two are never going to play again, barring injury, why would they deserve a full ride scholarship from a new staff?

The QB'S can have partials, and if the are academically qualifed, they can be given academic scholarships or grants for the rest of it.   Heidelbaugh probably wasn't given a full schollies to begin with, but it would probably be increased if they want to keep him.  FCS is not like basketball and hockey, where schollies are full ones.

Again, I hope Bubba doesn't share your attitude. Last I checked, all scholarshipped athletes signed letters of intent with the University of North Dakota, not Chris Mussman or Bubba Schweigert. Personally, I'd be disappointed in my alma mater and its coaches if they didn't honor their commitments to the athletes the university recruits, as long as the athletes remain committed to it. And if success or failure for North Dakota football rides on honoring two scholarships, we've got much bigger issues.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The QB'S can have partials, and if the are academically qualifed, they can be given academic scholarships or grants for the rest of it.   Heidelbaugh probably wasn't given a full schollies to begin with, but it would probably be increased if they want to keep him.  FCS is not like basketball and hockey, where schollies are full ones.

I understand any player can have a partial. Mollberg was a full and we assume that Bartels is close to a full, if not.  That is alot of money that could help shore up a thin secondary.

• Upvote 1

I understand your point.  But when Bubba took over why did he honor all of the scholarship offers made by the previous coaching staff?  Bubba's staff owed the recruits nothing, right?  The staff honored the scholarship offers because it would be unethical not to do so.  These coaches understand the damage that would have done to the school's reputation.

You have to have full rides tied up with (at least) your second string QB for sure, but I understand your point that it's not good to have full rides tied up with guys who have no chance of playing.  That's why most ethical staffs (that I'm aware of) have a meeting with a player and explain to them that they will likely be fourth string next year.  The player can make the decision to leave or not.  If they stay their scholarship will be honored, if they leave the scholarship is revoked.  If a player works hard off the field, has the grades to participate, and follows the team rules then - in my opinion - they shouldn't be punished because a coaching staff (no matter which one) made a mistake on the player.  Again, that's why the Big Ten changed their rules... it's unethical otherwise.

College athletics is not run like the business world and they shouldn't be.  How you treat your student athletes makes a difference in recruiting and team chemistry.  

• Upvote 3

Again, I hope Bubba doesn't share your attitude. Last I checked, all scholarshipped athletes signed letters of intent with the University of North Dakota, not Chris Mussman or Bubba Schweigert. Personally, I'd be disappointed in my alma mater and its coaches if they didn't honor their commitments to the athletes the university recruits, as long as the athletes remain committed to it. And if success or failure for North Dakota football rides on honoring two scholarships, we've got much bigger issues.

That attitude is certainly noble but there is a reason why so many players have "left the team" in the past year.  They were told they were no longer a Top 2 player or whatever and were free to decide on their future.  These two are not worth using two full rides anymore.  One, maybe but not a 3rd stringer. 

Also, if you think UND is the only one that could possibly do this you don't have to look very far for a program that has gotten real good at "reducing" scholarships for unique reasons.  

• Upvote 1

I understand your point.  But when Bubba took over why did he honor all of the scholarship offers made by the previous coaching staff?  Bubba's staff owed the recruits nothing, right?  The staff honored the scholarship offers because it would be unethical not to do so.  These coaches understand the damage that would have done to the school's reputation.

You have to have full rides tied up with (at least) your second string QB for sure, but I understand your point that it's not good to have full rides tied up with guys who have no chance of playing.  That's why most ethical staffs (that I'm aware of) have a meeting with a player and explain to them that they will likely be fourth string next year.  The player can make the decision to leave or not.  If they stay their scholarship will be honored, if they leave the scholarship is revoked.  If a player works hard off the field, has the grades to participate, and follows the team rules then - in my opinion - they shouldn't be punished because a coaching staff (no matter which one) made a mistake on the player.  Again, that's why the Big Ten changed their rules... it's unethical otherwise.

College athletics is not run like the business world and they shouldn't be.  How you treat your student athletes makes a difference in recruiting and team chemistry.  

Which is exactly what the UND staff does.  Not sure your point.  Many players leave because they actually want to play somewhere, which is the right decision.  Kids only get one shot at this college football thing.  

I am under the impression - correct me if I'm wrong - that you would force the players to leave by taking away their scholarship.

I am not a coach.  I am saying that there is not a staff in the country that would put 3 full rides into QB's if one or two of them cannot play or ever see the field.  That is my point.  They are not different than any other position where players have left, say, after spring ball.  They were told they are not in the Top 2-3 at their position and are free to look around if they want.  But, a decision on money needs to be made in certain cases.  

I get it.  "A decision on money" is yanking someone's scholarship.  

There are a lot of variables that we aren't taking into consideration, and I'm at work so I don't have time to go over all of them, but safe to say that we'll have to agree to disagree.

Fair enough, my friend.  Like I said before, you don't have to look far for examples of schools reducing players scholarships based on lack of playing time.  Right or wrong, it happens.  

Having said all that, how do we even know the two backup QB's are losing anything.... Hypothetical convo?

I am not a coach.  I am saying that there is not a staff in the country that would put 3 full rides into QB's if one or two of them cannot play or ever see the field.  That is my point.  They are not different than any other position where players have left, say, after spring ball.  They were told they are not in the Top 2-3 at their position and are free to look around if they want.  But, a decision on money needs to be made in certain cases.  

There's not a staff in the country?  Really?  You stated you're not a coach, so I'm surprised you know the ins and outs of every single staff in the country.

I know a number of staffs personally.  Some operate as you advocate, but most do not.  I support the staffs that choose a higher ethical standard.  And I hope UND does, too.

• Upvote 1

There's not a staff in the country?  Really?  You stated you're not a coach, so I'm surprised you know the ins and outs of every single staff in the country.

I know a number of staffs personally.  Some operate as you advocate, but most do not.  I support the staffs that choose a higher ethical standard.  And I hope UND does, too.

If there is a player that will never see the field if the coach had his choice, you would hope the coach would keep the player on full ride for 3-4 years? 

If there is a player that will never see the field if the coach had his choice, you would hope the coach would keep the player on full ride for 3-4 years? 

My belief is that - if the player is living up to his part of the deal (grades, behavior, practice habits) - then his/her scholarship should be honored for 4 years.  It's not the kid's fault if the staff made a mistake on the player's potential (or if he/she got beaten out by a better player).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We lose a lot off the offensive front. That is priority #1. I don't care how good a QB/RB is: the offensive line makes the offense. Even average receivers look like Jerry Rice when the defense has to over-commit to stopping the run. 

Next, shore up the defensive front. 

Then take a long, hard look at the secondary. 

Offensive line is priority on offense, but there are several underclassmen that can step right in and play good football next season. 

At the two guard spots, I expect either Demon Taylor, Dan Bell, or Matt Cox to start. At center, look for either Matt Cox or Grant Aplin to start. The starting tackles return next season, LT AJ Stockwell and RT Elijah Grady. 

Now, even with that, depth is key. A couple more offensive linemen may be in the mix who aren't on the roster right now.

Fortunately, the skill positions for next year will be returning, including possibly some additions via recruiting. 

As for defense, Bubba said this morning on the radio that the secondary and linebacker spots will be the focus (more safety and cornerback depth and a Will Ratelle replacement). I agree with this because the defensive line returns everybody next year; look for the defensive line to be top-notch next season. 

This year's team was basically 2 quarters away from the BSC title and being seeded in the playoffs.

10-1 is achievable for next season.   Big Sky title, autobid, Top 4 seed are all realistic goals for next year in my mind.  Leave no doubt the next time around.

Absolutely. Considering how close UND was to 9-2 (7-1) this season and who is returning, no reason UND shouldn't EXPECT to win 9 games in 2016 and win the Big Sky Conference. Of course, Bubba has made it clear that winning the conference is the goal each and every season.

Its time the fans get on page with this and show up to the Alerus Center. 

Ya, don't go about it as heartless as my comment, but ultimately we can't have that much $$ tied to no production.  In any other real life situation don't you do what is best for the team, company, family, or just for 1 or 2 individuals.  

Bubba will do what's best for the team.

Let's not forget, these young men (Bartels and Mollberg) were not recruited by Bubba. This whole scholarship situation is still fallout from the Mussman debacle. Nevertheless, I hope both of them stick around to add invaluable senior leadership. 

• Upvote 1

Bubba will do what's best for the team.

Let's not forget, these young men (Bartels and Mollberg) were not recruited by Bubba. This whole scholarship situation is still fallout from the Mussman debacle. Nevertheless, I hope both of them stick around to add invaluable senior leadership. 

Mollberg to LB? He was a really good HS LB