SiouxSports.com Forum

UNI @ UND

niouxsiouxfan

Is keeping Jones worth Seales? He would probably transfer to a better program if we can Jones.

Yes.  The football team survived losing Golloday, amongst others when Muss was fired.  Watching a Jones coached bball team is as frustrating as watching a Muss coached Bball team.  I'm done complaining now, and done watching.  I'll start paying attention when UND decides to take its bball program seriously again.

Yes.  The football team survived losing Golloday, amongst others when Muss was fired.  Watching a Jones coached bball team is as frustrating as watching a Muss coached Bball team.  I'm done complaining now, and done watching.  I'll start paying attention when UND decides to take its bball program seriously again.

Agree 100%. We can get even better players when we are a winning and respectable program again....see Bubba.

Heck - I think it may be the opposite issue.  Seales (and others) may leave due to the poor coaching they are receiving.  These are smart, young athletes who have likely received good HS and AAU coaching.  They certainly may realize that UND isn't going to have any significant success with Jones at the helm!

• Upvote 3

So what's the justification for keeping him? 

Is keeping Jones worth Seales? He would probably transfer to a better program if we can Jones.

Remember, a coach affects multiple student-athletes and the entire program; a good representative and leader does wonders for not only the program but for the entire university. Without question the hiring of a quality coach surpasses the possibility that a player leaves, especially if that player is too short-sighted to stick with the PROGRAM they committed to. 

Jones said it was all on the players, as they practiced against the scout team running a UNI offense.

Yep, all Jones does is put together a line-up card and then sit and watch (sarcasm). :silly:

I think Mussman was spouting some of the same nonsense during his final season.

Jones has been in charge of this program for almost a decade now. He is responsible for the roster, the assistants that work under him and everything else that happens. I wonder if he will cut a couple of players to save his own a$$? :angry:

The last vestiges of the disastrous Tom Buning regime are still causing damage to the men's basketball wing of the athletic department. And it's time to pull the plug.

Yep, all Jones does is put together a line-up card and then sit and watch (sarcasm). :silly:

I think Mussman was spouting some of the same nonsense during his final season.

Jones has been in charge of this program for almost a decade now. He is responsible for the roster, the assistants that work under him and everything else that happens. I wonder if he will cut a couple of players to save his own a$$? :angry:

The last vestiges of the disastrous Tom Buning regime are still causing damage to the men's basketball wing of the athletic department. And it's time to pull the plug.

Well said.  Jones seemed to throw the players under the bus, when he doesn't coach the fundamentals.

• Upvote 1

I remember Roger Thomas saying that if one of his teams performed with a lack of focus and little energy it was on him and his staff.  He felt that it was his responsibility to have his team prepared and ready to play.  He was right on the money, too many coaches today are quick to point the finger of blame at anybody but themselves when their teams have  a bad day.

• Upvote 1

Jones said it was all on the players, as they practiced against the scout team running a UNI offense.

Paul Ralston learned his lesson though. How many times did he back up Jones and say he was right, they practiced against the UNI offense with their scout team Friday afternoon. I'm sure they won on Friday and should have won today too. No more suspensions from Faison for him.

Heck - I think it may be the opposite issue.  Seales (and others) may leave due to the poor coaching they are receiving.  These are smart, young athletes who have likely received good HS and AAU coaching.  They certainly may realize that UND isn't going to have any significant success with Jones at the helm!

This is the biggest worry.  There are rumblings already.  This needs to be addressed so that the talent amassed can be kept at UND and a coach that wants to coach them can come in and bring this program back up.

Bad coaching is the great equalizer when there is decent talent on the floor.....Jones has to go at season's end.

There has not been one...not one season under Jones where anyone can subjectively say he got more out of a team than the collective talent they possessed.

#justballing

We are proposing a draft to me faison at an emergency meeting tonite 

My guess is you will have to meet him in East Lansing. Everytime I hear Hennesey broadcasting a hockey game I hear him saying something about Faison and his wife being on the trip with them.  You may have to tell him the final score of the UNI game. I'm not sure he realizes there was a game.

My guess is you will have to meet him in East Lansing. Everytime I hear Hennesey broadcasting a hockey game I hear him saying something about Faison and his wife being on the trip with them.  You may have to tell him the final score of the UNI game. I'm not sure he realizes there was a game.

Faison was at the basketball game.

I don't know what Coach Jones is talking about saying they "didn't execute the gameplan".  It looked to me like the game plan was the same as it has been for the last 9 years and they ran it to perfection:  4 guys stand stationary outside the arc while one athlete dribble drives and tries to create something entirely on his own.  That is the offense that has been run here since about Jones' third year and that is what it looks like it is going to be the rest of the season.