SiouxSports.com Forum

yababy8

Going back over a half of a century from the first time University of North Dakota blades hit ice surfaces all across America it grown from the beginning to become this unique and special program we all know as Fighting Sioux hockey.  As I have said before, a nickname which has reached the full potential of a nickname like none other.

The official name for the school can be whatever it is, no matter, it has no impact on the reality of who we are, who this team is, or what the program is. Ask any player who has played for the program, current or past, ask any fan or any foe, hear it loud and here it clear, it's fighting Sioux Hockey and those that understand it are so very proud of what we all have and share.

So Sioux Forever on ya!

...Let's have this thread as a place fans can post great statments or quotes from players, past or present, coaches and public figures who speak to this fact.  I hear it all of the time and I have for many many years, long before the Sioux name was in the NCAA cross hairs.  Being a Sioux Hockey fan or player has been a pretty special thing for scores and the Sioux name is central in that tradition.  The Sioux name speaks to that tradition.  It's very clear that the preponderance of those invested plan to keep the Sioux name as a predominant identification of said tradition.  So when you hear it, post it.

...Let's not have this thread be another move on debate thread.  All of the move on plants and cronnies can move on now,. The schools official name has changed and the settlement agreement with the NCAA has been met.  Done! Whoo hoo!!  (Applause)

If you want to promote the new nickname do it somewhere else.  This is about honoring our tradition and respecting our name. The name we choose to call ourselves and, its pretty apparent, want to continue to refer to ourselves as and as long as it is a free country we get to proudly declair ourselves as.

Go Sioux!!

Edited by yababy8

No, its Fighting Hawks Hockey.

oh, you're talking about that new nickname?  I heard about that, I heard it was super generic and even got confused with the team we played last week being its the same name and all.  Right up there on the TV we were the Redhawks last night. That's the origins of some serious tradition there.

You're saying that you want to identify our prestigious hockey program using that new official nickname and throw out probably the most unique and well-known college hockey name in the nation? So you're saying we shouldn't say that we are the fighting Sioux anymore because of this "new" nickname? is this what you're saying? I'm just trying to make sure I understand your perspective here?

Kind of like when a woman gets married she changes her last name and never uses her maiden name again?, well unless she had a really good maiden name like if she was from fame or money. Then she throws in the hyphen doesn't she?  I'm thinking maybe we should go with a hyphen like if we were a Kennedy or something. What do you think? Or should we just get rid of the name all together and never speak of it again like it's some sort of pariah or horrible thing in our past.  

This is what it really comes down to isn't it? Do we believe the Fighting Sioux name is a name to take pride in, and a name that we would want ourselves associated with?  This is the only question in the end that matters.  In the end, as is always the case, we will call ourselves what we want. Make no mistake about it.  After all, that's what a name is or I should say where a name comes from.

Oh and nice job respecting the thread that I started and not having it be a debate thread.

Move on.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

oh, you're talking about that new nickname?  I heard about that, I heard it was super generic and even got confused with the team we played last week being its the same name and all.  Right up there on the TV we were the Redhawks last night. That's the origins of some serious tradition there.

You're saying that you want to identify our prestigious hockey program using that new official nickname and throw out probably the most unique and well-known college hockey name in the nation? So you're saying we shouldn't say that we are the fighting Sioux anymore because of this "new" nickname? is this what you're saying? I'm just trying to make sure I understand your perspective here?

Kind of like when a woman gets married she changes her last name and never uses her maiden name again?, well unless she had a really good maiden name like if she was from fame or money. Then she throws in the hyphen doesn't she?  I'm thinking maybe we should go with a hyphen like if we were a Kennedy or something. What do you think? Or should we just get rid of the name all together and never speak of it again like it's some sort of pariah or horrible thing in our past.  

This is what it really comes down to isn't it? Do we believe the Fighting Sioux name is a name to take pride in, and a name that we would want ourselves associated with?  This is the only question in the end that matters.  In the end, as is always the case, we will call ourselves what we want. Make no mistake about it.  After all, that's what a name is or I should say where a name comes from.

Oh and nice job respecting the thread that I started and not having it be a debate thread.

Move on.

the move on at the end wins the irony of the year award

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1