SiouxSports.com Forum

"Husky Women"

KirkEisenbeis

Unfortunately, I've heard it in St. Cloud in years past while only the cheerleaders were on the ice, which is perhaps why I'm a little sensitive on it.

It's a joke, yes. But it's a joke that makes a punchline out of women who are bigger than normal. I just don't think that's ok. And beyond that, it's a tired joke, time to give it a rest.

So I'm supposed to quit something just because you think it's offensive? Yup. Not gonna do that.

Like someone said earlier, of all the chants that those at the REA do, this one is probably the one that makes me the least squeamish. My wife would say the same thing. The orgy, condom and F*ck the XX chants are much more "offensive", particularly to children.

• Upvote 4

So I'm supposed to quit something just because you think it's offensive? Yup. Not gonna do that.

Like someone said earlier, of all the chants that those at the REA do, this one is probably the one that makes me the least squeamish. My wife would say the same thing. The orgy, condom and F*ck the XX chants are much more "offensive", particularly to children.

I haven't heard these but am only at REA about 1 weekend a year.  But based on this I would agree with you.

I have always hoped that the crowd, led by the students, would get in the habit of really rocking the house with a full decibel singing of the National Anthem.  Besides, that guy we have now could use some help.   This would be way for NDU to distinguish itself.  Become known as the place that blows the roof off with the Anthem.  And the school song.  And maybe even God Bless America before the third period puck drop.  F'Hawk all those other stupid cheers.  Let's get original.  And be different.  No?

Holy sh**.  Just read 4 pages of this garbage.  What a waste of a thread.  The chant is fine.  If you are offended write a letter to somebody.  Many worse chants out there.  A person can't order a Happy Meal these days without getting offended.  Just imagine a teenage goth girl saying, "I don't want to be happy."  Direct your good intentions to something that matters. 

I have always hoped that the crowd, led by the students, would get in the habit of really rocking the house with a full decibel singing of the National Anthem.  Besides, that guy we have now could use some help.   This would be way for NDU to distinguish itself.  Become known as the place that blows the roof off with the Anthem.  And the school song.  And maybe even God Bless America before the third period puck drop.  F'Hawk all those other stupid cheers.  Let's get original.  And be different.  No?

You cannot be serious! "The guy we have now needs help" Lindguist is a huge get for the REA, he sings all over the country! Not sure who you are complaining about?

• Upvote 2

You cannot be serious! "The guy we have now needs help" Lindguist is a huge get for the REA, he sings all over the country! Not sure who you are complaining about?

For reals, he is a fan favorite amongst the students.  I love what Mark does, I may plunk down the $$$ to see his Christmas show at the Alerus.

Relax.  I never said that I did not like him, nor was I complaining about him.   Everyone who sings the Anthem should have help from the crowd.  Just because he is good doesn't mean everyone else should shut their traps.   If I recall correctly, the crowd is even invited to join him.  Very few people do.  I am sure he would not be offended if the crowd drowned him out. 

Relax.  I never said that I did not like him, nor was I complaining about him.   Everyone who sings the Anthem should have help from the crowd.  Just because he is good doesn't mean everyone else should shut their traps.   If I recall correctly, the crowd is even invited to join him.  Very few people do.  I am sure he would not be offended if the crowd drowned him out. 

Yea I know everyone is encouraged to sing along, im not saying anything about that or that Mark "would be offended"

Im questioning "besides the guy we have now could use some help"

If that is not complaining about him, and you like him,  what do you say about people you don't like? :lol:

I just think he does an outstanding job, gives me chills every game!

Yea I know everyone is encouraged to sing along, im not saying anything about that or that Mark "would be offended"

Im questioning "besides the guy we have now could use some help"

If that is not complaining about him, and you like him,  what do you say about people you don't like? :lol:

I just think he does an outstanding job, gives me chills every game!

Yep.  I am my own worst critic.  I do think Mr. Mark  is great, and he sure beats the occasional barbershop quartet that we used to see.

I am just a big fan of full crowd participation for the anthem.   I forget what NHL city might do this.   13,000 fans belting the anthem gives me chills.

Have a great Thanksgiving.   Everyone.   The boys are on the crest of a big wave.

UND hockey is great stuff, and the coaches and team represent the school well, but UND distinguishes itself by graduating people who serve their country by giving generously to charities, working to develop solutions to problems that plague the hungry and underrepresented, growing businesses that will support families,  and, in general, improving the lives of others.   Want UND to be associated with creativity?  Teach your students or children to read and understand Yeats; design a software program or a widget that improves lives.  Create art that people will respond to. 

What happens in the rink is something all of us on this site take a great deal of pleasure in, but its importance pales in comparison to the other work that is ongoing at UND.  I understand that all of that is pretty obvious, but I think we sometimes place a little too much significance on this game.   Because of who we are as hockey fans, we tend to see more of what comes out of Engelstad than we do what comes out of Merrifield or Leonard, but the world does not.  And it shouldn't.

This came out preachy and artificial, which is not at all what I intended.  I don't see very many games at the Ralph anymore, but when I do I notice the cheers too and wince at some of them and wonder what kind of airhead could find them funny.   But more inventive cheers will bubble up naturally, and the boorish ones will die if the students lose interest in them.   And it's just a hockey game.  Besides, bad cheers are just a therapeutic alternative to chanting over and over "F*ck the Gophers, F*ck the gophers," which is all that any hockey fan really needs to say. 

Honest take:

I can live with (put up with?) the semi-creative "Husky women" over the vulgar, unimaginative "<bleep> the <opponent on the ice at time>" that has seemed to rear it's ugly head at REA recently. 

I heard every vulgarity known on the ice. Didn't bother me and it surely doesn't bother players today. 

The creative stuff is what caught me off guard, distracted me.

Some of the best, recent creative stuff? "Martha Stewart" and "Martha's sister" tossed out at CC not that long ago.