SiouxSports.com Forum

Who bought Mike Ivall's "Fighting" Hawk Logo?

Descartes

I'm doing some concept sketches for a new logo and will load them up sometime when they're presentable. I really don't want a logo to come from some firm who doesn't understand our culture. If that means trying to do it myself I guess I'll give it a go. Logically it would be much cheaper for the school.

• Upvote 4

I'm doing some concept sketches for a new logo and will load them up sometime when they're presentable. I really don't want a logo to come from some firm who doesn't understand our culture. If that means trying to do it myself I guess I'll give it a go. Logically it would be much cheaper for the school.

I really think we have to be proactive and somehow get organized to tell administration what we want. Probably include Gov. Schafer to somehow convince them this part of the process needs to be worked through by people with close connection with the university. Not an outside money grubbing consultant. There are many qualified people locally, regionally, or with close connection that can be involved with the development of the new logo.

• Upvote 2

I really think we have to be proactive and somehow get organized to tell administration what we want. Probably include Gov. Schafer to somehow convince them this part of the process needs to be worked through by people with close connection with the university. Not an outside money grubbing consultant. There are many qualified people locally, regionally, or with close connection that can be involved with the development of the new logo.

I 1000% agree. It should start right now.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

This would actually be a creative take on a generic name... which is why the University administration will never do it.

Let me get this straight.  You want UND to take the name of an antiquated jet and the company name?  Maybe UND can just be sponsored by these companies like the soccer, er, futbol teams are.  Here comes your University of North Dakota Lockheed Martin Fighting Hawks! 

Great idea, Kelley will never go for it, but maybe Schafer can sneak it in while he is keeping the President's seat warm! 

2 hours ago, LetsGoSioux! said:

Let me get this straight.  You want UND to take the name of an antiquated jet and the company name?  Maybe UND can just be sponsored by these companies like the soccer, er, futbol teams are.  Here comes your University of North Dakota Lockheed Martin Fighting Hawks! 

Great idea, Kelley will never go for it, but maybe Schafer can sneak it in while he is keeping the President's seat warm! 

Months ago I suggested let's go with either the UND Budweiser Clydesdales, or UND Hooters.   Resutling in hundreds of thousands saved in logo design, and millions made thru sponsorship.  But noooooooo, nobody would get on board.  :)

38 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Months ago I suggested let's go with either the UND Budweiser Clydesdales, or UND Hooters.   Resutling in hundreds of thousands saved in logo design, and millions made thru sponsorship.  But noooooooo, nobody would get on board.  :)

I would much rather be the Clydesdales (? marked as spelled wrong, I may not know the plural of this) than the Hawks. The trot is on!!!

9 hours ago, LetsGoSioux! said:

I never said the company name, what I meant was that using an aircraft as the logo for the Fighting Hawks would lead to some more interesting and Unique logo options as opposed to just another bird logo. Admittedly its a bit more of a stretch with the name Fighting Hawks rather than something more directly aviation related but hey you work with what you got, and in this case its the one of the most common mascots in sports with a different adjective in front of it. This is some fan concept art I found for Las Vegas's NHL team, UND could do something similar. the Plane shown is a p-40 warHAWK/tomaHAWK/kittyHAWK which means you could say that the plane is a fighting HAWK.

IceForce.png

9 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

NDSU fans would have a field day with that. There online student jokes would be reinforced 10 fold.

They are going to do that no matter what. Also I have no idea how big the NDSU vs UND rivalry is on campus now, but when I was their from 06-11 the rivalry didn't really exist. I had friends who went to NDSU who said it was similar down their, it was a bigger deal for the alumni rather than the current students.

• 4 weeks later...