SiouxSports.com Forum

Reserving Hawks names for this site

jimdahl

I guess it's time.

Though I have a few in my pocket, let me start by soliciting ideas from the community. BUT, you want to do this right so the name is actually available to us:

1) Only suggest domain names that are available. You're not getting fightinghawksports.com, someone else did. I recommend searching here: http://www.internic.net/whois.html (if it returns a result, it's taken -- e.g. http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=siouxsports.com&type=domain ; if it says no match, it's available -- e.g. http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=xxsjelfkjsdlfakjdsf&type=domain )

2) Make any such suggestions to me via private message. If you post something here, someone else could buy it. 

Edited by jimdahl
Updated title to make clear that the site name is not changing now

Are you strictly only wanting to use a .com domain name? Could easily snatch up a .co domain...

.com is preferred, but not a requirement.

.co would worry me that it's so close that a lot of people would mess up and go to the .com instead. I could see other non-.com top level domains working, though. But, I also think we're likely to find a .com that we like.

I like SiouxSports.com...

Already got that one :) I'll repeat something I said in a different thread...

Not changing anything right now, the only reason I'm talking about it now is to lock in domain names (which will become scarcer now that the final name is known).

If the day comes that UND students or new fans are likely to search for "Fighting Hawks message board" or "Fighting Hawks football", I want to be ready.

Edited by jimdahl

I see no need to change the name of the site.  It is not affiliated with the school, so there is no issue, and it fits the historical aspect of continuation of the name.  You could have a blurb below the title to state that it is about the UND Fighting Hawks.

Yep, that's what we'll do for now -- start to seed in references to Fighting Hawks.

But it would just be silly not having some Fighting Hawks-related domains pre-purchased in preparation for a day when someone looking for UND athletics is more likely to look for Fighting Hawks than Sioux.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Already got that one :) I'll repeat something I said in a different thread...

you're a good man Jim Dahl!

Hopefully others will awake one day and realize what you have, that the reach of the NCAA goes no further than the sidelines of the sports surfaces of NCAA Universities.

As I say, a nickname is what we choose to collectively call ourselves.

Your respect for the preponderance of North Dakota fans who fancy themselves Sioux fans is well placed in my humble opinion.

It's too bad your web site is so tanted by the shills and the sheep that follow them...I guess it was an obvious target from the beginning...

Go Sioux!!

Edited by yababy8
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...

I say that you go for a UND/NoDak/North Dakota name theme. 

Yeah, I already have a few of those locked up from when I thought I might make a change back in the no-nickname days. Definitely a possibility if people stick to calling us "North Dakota" more than "Fighting Hawks".