SiouxSports.com Forum

Announcement at 10 am TODAY

choyt3

Coming from a Coyote who attended UND Hockey School back in the days of the Old Ralph and who still has some Fighting SIoux swag that is almost 30 years old from that camp, I actually am sorry for you guys.  I would be completely pissed off right now if it was USD who pulled this crap.  Fighting Hawks is so freaking lame, it really is undescribable how pathetic it is.  I would be flooding some email boxes, hanging some banners, marching, and some good old civil unrest over this.

• Upvote 4

I'm excited! While the nickname is not my first or second choice, it is infinity better than Roughriders.  I get it's not unique, but who cares?  All the cool unique names are taken anyway.  Keeping "fighting" in it obviously is an homage to Fighting Sioux.  It will be interesting to see what they come up with for a logo.  Now we can look forward to the future, instead of dwelling on the past.  Hopefully.  I bet the nickname recall petition will start any moment now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

Sad, sad day in so many different areas of the nickname topic. Never to be the same, will never be better. The press conference and video was also sad. Do not see nickname as a good choice amoung many other issues associated the selection IMO. Guess the students got their choice. Good luck younger generations and others who voted for the new name on trying to promote a bird as your symbol of greatness and pride for a great University. 

Sad, sad day in so many different areas of the nickname topic. Never to be the same, will never be better. The press conference and video was also sad. Do not see nickname as a good choice amoung many other issues associated the selection IMO. Guess the students got their choice. Good luck younger generations and others who voted for the new name on trying to promote a bird as your symbol of greatness and pride for a great University. 

Yea, like an Eagle for the USA! What are they thinking?

• Downvote 2

I'm excited! While the nickname is not my first or second choice, it is infinity better than Roughriders.  I get it's not unique, but who cares?  All the cool unique names are taken anyway.  Keeping "fighting" in it obviously is an homage to Fighting Sioux.  It will be interesting to see what they come up with for a logo.  Now we can look forward to the future, instead of dwelling on the past.  Hopefully.  I bet the nickname recall petition will start any moment now.

LOL.

• Upvote 3

Yea, like an Eagle for the USA! What are they thinking?

I've heard variations of this argument a lot.  I think Mafia made a similar argument with regard to Kansas University Jayhawks.  Or with the Tigers in the SEC.  But the comparison doesn't stick.  If UND was the first university, or even among the first, to adopt the Hawks nickname, I think it would be a much better choice.  It's the fact that we're adopting it after dozens have already done it is what makes it such a particularly bad nickname.

• Upvote 2

I've heard variations of this argument a lot.  I think Mafia made a similar argument with regard to Kansas University Jayhawks.  Or with the Tigers in the SEC.  But the comparison doesn't stick.  If UND was the first university, or even among the first, to adopt the Hawks nickname, I think it would be a much better choice.  It's the fact that we're adopting it after dozens have already done it is what makes it such a particularly bad nickname.

kansas and missouri's nicknames came from historical events as well. not oh i guess we need a nickname let's be the 50th hawks name

• Upvote 1

I see the overwhelming criticism is that the name isn't original enough. I can understand that to some degree. But the reality is that not only is UND the only "Fighting Hawks" out there, the other schools with "Hawks" as their name aren't exactly a who's who of college athletics. Just looking at D1 football and basketball programs, only Monmouth goes by "Hawks" in football (out of 253 FBS and FCS teams) and only Monmouth, University of Hartford, St. Josephs University and Maryland Eastern Shore go by "Hawks" in basketball (out of 351 D1 teams). In hockey there is the University of Miami Redhawks and the UMass Lowell River Hawks.

There's definitely an opportunity to make this name our own. It's much more unique than Wildcats, Eagles, Tigers, etc.

For the record, I never voted for Fighting Hawks as my choice. But it's done and it's time to move forward.

• Upvote 1