SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname Vote: FINAL Runoff: Exit Poll

cowboys5xsbs

Nickname Vote: FINAL Runoff: Exit Poll  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you vote for?

• Fighting Hawks
    • Roughriders

And I've spoken to a bunch that say otherwise too and let me know there is already a Roughriders in GF and it'd be stupid to have another.

It's hard to deny it something people consider when considering which one to vote for.

While that point is valid to me (I too think it's too bad that RR is a final option as Red River has that name), there is a pretty large resentment towards anything Hawks.  So much so that many people I know are going from Nodaks to RR.  Probably not enough though, too many students.

Edited by scpa0305

I think the tide may be turning on that now that the choice is between Fighting Hawks and Roughriders. Which gives me even more ammo to my theory that Kelley was trying to help Fighting Hawks win when he let Nodaks survive the initial round of voting despite finishing 3rd. 

A) How?
B) I can confidently and unequivocally
state that you're "theory" wouldn't be worth the piece of paper it would be written on.

That being said, I'd much prefer Roughriders to win. Hawks got momentum from a bogus logo, so whatever gets people to change their mind is fair I guess.  Unfortunately the Fighting Hawk vote continues to be the incredibly silent vocal minority and despite voting for Roughriders (for the third time), I have already come to terms that UND is very likely to become another <adjective> <bird>. I'll support whatever wins as it will be the new representation of the University of North Dakota, which is what is important to me.

A) How? B) I can confidently and unequivocally state that you're "theory" wouldn't be worth the piece of paper it is written on.

I have already explained it in other posts in other threads. But since you always buy whatever explanation you are served up no matter how puzzling the official explanation is, I won't bother explaining it again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have already explained it in other posts in other threads. But since you always buy whatever explanation you are served up no matter how puzzling the official explanation is, I won't bother explaining it again.

And I've explained exactly why your theory has zero basis of being true so I guess I don't need bother with that.  :tinfoilhat:

We both want the same result so we can leave it at that. Hopefully the GF Herald's article (that was about 2 weeks too late) opens a few eyes up.

Roughriders once again.  Will support whatever it happens to be.  Wish I could write in Fighting Norsemen or Roughnecks.

I would give anything to insert Norsemen, Roughnecks, Nokota, and many more in place of our choices...

As crazy as this sounds (even to me), we should have almost let the committee pick the name so that they had to adhere to their rules of being specific to North Dakota and unique. I really want to hear what each member voted and how in the world Fighting Hawks fits the criteria for UND that they(the committee) created. It really baffles me.

Edited by InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
  • Upvote 2

I voted Roughriders.  It's nice to see that a number of Nodak voters (not all) are going with Roughriders.  However I think the student vote will likely be too much to overcome, and this will only be getting my hopes up that Roughriders pull it off, but I hope they do.   If not I guess it's Redhawks .vs Fighting Hawks this weekend (even though we won't know until next week what the results are)

I voted Roughriders.  It's nice to see that a number of Nodak voters (not all) are going with Roughriders.  However I think the student vote will likely be too much to overcome, and this will only be getting my hopes up that Roughriders pull it off, but I hope they do.   If not I guess it's Redhawks .vs Fighting Hawks this weekend (even though we won't know until next week what the results are)

But how ironic is it that the week of the Final Vote UND plays three "Hawk" teams!  

The survey on this site has been always leaning towards Roughriders. Nodaks did make a push here on the last one though.

Actually, Nodaks won the exit poll here in the round of 5, just slightly edging out Roughriders.

But it is true that this forum is useless for judging the popularity of Fighting Hawks among actual voters. The Hawk names have never done as well here as in the general public -- I think because they've been so beaten up in discussions as being what all transitioning schools do, whereas Fighting Hawks actually gives off a pretty good first impression to someone who hasn't spent months debating it.

• Upvote 2

You guys (not just the poster I'm quoting) do realize it's not just students, right?  Many people think Roughriders sucks as a name (like a certain someone in my house).  Hawks is boring, but the lesser of two evils argument can go the other way, too.  Jussayin...

I'll be so happy when this is over.  Fatigue has beyond set in.

• Upvote 2

Actually, Nodaks won the exit poll here in the round of 5, just slightly edging out Roughriders.

But it is true that this forum is useless for judging the popularity of Fighting Hawks among actual voters. The Hawk names have never done as well here as in the general public -- I think because they've been so beaten up in discussions as being what all transitioning schools do, whereas Fighting Hawks actually gives off a pretty good first impression to someone who hasn't spent months debating it.

Jim you really are the blacksheep of some alumni on this website, I mean that as a giant compliment. Very sensible views you write....

Voted Roughriders after voting Nodaks in previous rounds. I do not understand how in some peoples' minds having a HS team in town named RR's is more of a detraction than becoming another Hawks team in our own hockey conference. I have been a fan of the UND FB team almost my whole life and the hockey team nearly as long, but I have to say that becoming Fighting Hawks will dampen my enthusiasm, at  least for awhile.

• Upvote 2