SiouxSports.com Forum

Why Vote For Roughriders?

SIOUXFAN97

In memory of the deceased members of the 1st U.S. volunteer cavalry, Spanish-American War.

So all these brave men will never be forgotten.

http://www.spanamwar.com/rrroster.htm

And I personally can't wait for whatever logo Bennett Brien comes up with and the symbolism that will come with it to honor the "cowboys, gold or mining prospectors, hunters, gamblers, Native Americans and college boys" that served in the 1st U.S. volunteer cavalry in the Spanish-American War.

siouxhead.gif

“The feathers symbolize the outstanding rewards that students, faculty, staff and alumni will achieve for academic, athletic and lifelong excellence. The determined look in the eyes symbolizes fortitude and never giving up and the focus necessary for sustained academic, athletics and lifelong achievement,” the website quotes the artist. “The paint on the cheekbone symbolizes that life can be a battle and we have daily struggles. The color green symbolizes the development of young people and their growth at the University of North Dakota. The color yellow symbolizes the sun, which provides humanity light and warmth in order that life may continue. The color red symbolizes the lifeblood that has been poured out to make our state and peoples great." Bennett Brien

Vote Roughriders and let's see what Bennett Brien can come up with to honor those "cowboys, gold or mining prospectors, hunters, gamblers, Native Americans and college boys!"

Edited by SIOUXFAN97
  • Upvote 3

Hint:   The more people try to shove roughrider down our throats, the more I've learned to hate it.   I seriously doubt anyone is going to change anyone else's mind on what to vote for.

Yes, that is why political campaigns never work. Wait, that is wrong.  Campaigns do make people think and potentially change their vote. 

Edited by GeauxSioux
  • Upvote 2

Hint:   The more people try to shove roughrider down our throats, the more I've learned to hate it.   I seriously doubt anyone is going to change anyone else's mind on what to vote for.

It's very encouraging that you are against RR because you are the most Negative Nelly on this board going back ten plus years.  RR is the way to go based on your sentiment.:p

Edited by SiouxVolley
  • Upvote 2

I think it was the idea that Fighting Hawks would adopt the Black Hawks logo that accompanied the name in articles discussing the nickname options. I heard MANY conversations involving students discussing the logo and how cool it was....WHAT LOGO?!

Saw this on Facebook.

There it is folks. 

'Merica.

• Upvote 1

The state flag is based on the flag flown by Col. Roosevelt's "Rough Riders". (You know Col. Roosevelt. He ranched out by Medora, ND.) 

The state flag would become a de facto UND insignia ... flying everywhere in North Dakota every day. 

virtually all the cavalries at the time had that flag, slightly modified.  it's the Great Seal of the United States.   Too bad there's a bird on it.   :)

we could save money on buying merchandise and just hold up and wave our Passports every time we score. 

• Downvote 1

virtually all the cavalries at the time had that flag, slightly modified.  it's the Great Seal of the United States.   Too bad there's a bird on it.   :)

we could save money on buying merchandise and just hold up and wave our Passports every time we score. 

Far too late for such speculation, but in a head-to-head I think I could have gone for a blatantly American eagle instead of a hawk. Tap into a pro-USA, state flag, etc... sentiment. An "America's team" sort of thing, but without stating it quite so blatantly as the Cowboys.

Stupid question -- does any other major university do that? I mean something resembling a federal agency or state logo eagle, not just an "eagle"-based nickname (though I guess that would be interesting to know, too).

Far too late for such speculation, but in a head-to-head I think I could have gone for a blatantly American eagle instead of a hawk. Tap into a pro-USA, state flag, etc... sentiment.

Stupid question -- does any other major university do that? I mean something resembling a federal agency or state logo eagle, not just an "eagle"-based nickname (though I guess that would be interesting to know, too).

pretty much the only mascot improvement I've thought of in one of these changes was the Minuteman. It convinced me patriotic was the way to go.

• Upvote 1

pretty much the only mascot improvement I've thought of in one of these changes was the Minuteman. It convinced me patriotic was the way to go.

Yeah, I'd be good with that, too. However, I'm personally pretty biased toward mascots that are people, so would have happily taken a field of plainsmen, reapers, sodbusters, aviators, roughriders, etc... over the field we got. But, not surprisingly, not everyone seems to share my preference; so, I'll support the choice of the people.

• Upvote 2

"Thank you sir...may I have another?"

Agreed, I actually updated my post a bit after you managed to quote it because I thought it had the wrong connotation. I think we're  choosing from a worse field of nicknames than we could have.

I was just trying to say that I'll continue to follow and support UND, which is not a sentiment everyone here professes to share.

• Upvote 1