SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs. Minnesota in Las Vegas - October 2018

fargosioux

18 hours ago, DaveK said:

Last year the Gophers were on par with where North Dakota was in 2013-14, a team on the bubble that needed help to make the field of 16. Two years later UND won a national championship, which just goes to show how small the difference is between a bubble team and a national championship caliber team. In college hockey literally any of the top 20 to 25 teams can be legitimately called contenders. It wasn't that way back in the '80s and '90s when there was a pretty significant drop-off after the top half dozen or so teams, but now there are more and more teams that can hang with the top dogs. Still don't believe me? Just take a look at how 4 seeds have held their own vs. 1 seeds in NCAA tournament action ever since the tournament expanded from 12 teams to 16.

Teams like Holy Cross????:D

18 hours ago, southpaw said:

I hate agreeing with DaveK but the Gophers have the talent to be very good. And a coach with two "Nattys" and a loss two years ago against a stacked union team. 

They're in a crap league but they're on the verge every year. 

The question wasn't whether Minnesota has a lot of talent, that's obvious to anyone. The question was if they are a "contender year in and year out". Lately, I said they haven't been... They've had their down years and underperformed with the talent you referenced.

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

The question wasn't whether Minnesota has a lot of talent, that's obvious to anyone. The question was if they are a "contender year in and year out". Lately, I said they haven't been... They've had their down years and underperformed with the talent you referenced.

I'd say they've been contenders year in and year out on winning the cupcake 6-team Big Ten conference title. :D:lol:

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Nevermind the question about whether or not Minnesota's program is in a state of decay, the REAL question that needs an answer before the big Vegas game is this:

Does DaveK wear his Casey Mittelstadt Gopher jersey or go with his Phil Kessel Pengiuns jersey?  :glare:

Neither...Raiders Starter jacket and a mullet. :)

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2016 at 11:04 PM, Cratter said:

Frozen Fours Past Decade:

North Dakota: 7

Minnesota: 2

......"but they have talent and name brand recognition."

...and now playing in the Big Ten has really hurt them, when you can win the conference and yet not make the National tournament...just the beginning or still in progress?

Minnesota might be "good" but no where near "North Dakota Good."

So after all the complaining about not winning a championship in 6 Frozen Fours, UND can now take credit for those appearances since number 7 was the charm?  Would Minnesota be "North Dakota Good" if UND had lost in OT in the semi-finals to Denver?  Just curious... 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

I think it is a safe assumption that none of us will ever live long enough to see the Gophers go through a dry spell that lasts as long as the one that the Sioux endured during the years between their 1987 and 1997 national championship seasons.

Oh, man, we can sure hope that MN has an era like that, can't we? I dare to dream!

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Would Minnesota be "North Dakota Good" if UND had lost in OT in the semi-finals to Denver?  Just curious... 

If UND lost a game would that have made Minnesota better? I'd have to say no. It just separates them further.

28 minutes ago, Cratter said:

If UND lost a game would that have made Minnesota better? I'd have to say no. It just separates them further.

So if one-game scenarios are what differentiates the programs, how would they measure up if the 2014 Union game resulted in Minnesota's 3rd NCAA title in 13 seasons?

19 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Oh, I'd say UND fans have witnessed plenty of years of underachievement between about 2003 and 2015...

Gopher fans were merciless during that 2003-2015 stretch of UND's inability to get over the proverbial hump. What comes around, goes around.

Don't get why some people have to be party poopers.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

So if one-game scenarios are what differentiates the programs, how would they measure up if the 2014 Union game resulted in Minnesota's 3rd NCAA title in 13 seasons?

Not sure who said "one game scenarios are what differentiates the programs."

Maybe those "one games" over a decade or a season.

Sure Minnesota would be better than ND if they won more games. If they made the Frozen Four more often and if they won more championships.

Or we can just look at the actual results.

So while we all agree that we have a strong dislike for the gophers, shouldn't the discussion of how their program will look in vegas be put off for a while? They're two years out, and a lot can happen over two years. Hell - lets just worry about beating them in Mariucci in a few months and talk about them after the season starts.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, DaveK said:

UND got to the Frozen Four in 2014, but that doesn't change the fact that they were on the bubble to even make the tournament at all. Going into conference tournament play that year UND needed help to get into the NCAA tournament as a 4 seed, just as the Gophers did in 2016. The only difference is UND got the help they needed in 2014 where the Gophers did not get the help they needed in 2016. Who knows what might have happened if the Gophers got the help they needed to qualify for the tournament in 2016. Like so many other 4 seeds over the last dozen or so years, they just might have won a game or two. We'll never know, but the point is there is very little difference between a 1 seed and a bubble team in college hockey in this day and age. If UND can go from being on the bubble in 2014 to winning a national championship in 2016, then it is a very real possibility that Minnesota can go from being a bubble team in 2016 to winning a national championship in 2018. Anybody who thinks last year is proof that the Gophers are going to be bottom feeders every year from now on for the rest of our lives is delusional. I'll be very blunt and cut straight to the chase... people who says the Gophers suck are morons. If you dislike them that is one thing, but to state that they are not a good hockey teams make you come off as an uninformed fool at best. I think it is a safe assumption that none of us will ever live long enough to see the Gophers go through a dry spell that lasts as long as the one that the Sioux endured during the years between their 1987 and 1997 national championship seasons.

Please keep putting words in my mouth, never said the gophers were a bad hockey team.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Not sure who said "one game scenarios are what differentiates the programs."

Maybe those "one games" over a decade or a season.

Sure Minnesota would be better than ND if they won more games. If they made the Frozen Four more often and if they won more championships.

Or we can just look at the actual results.

But, based on your empirical data of one season, the Gopher program is in a state of decline, right? 

47 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

But, based on your empirical data of one season, the Gopher program is in a state of decline, right? 

The evidence shows Minnesota's program getting worse the last two years, including 0 NCAA wins compared to North Dakota's 6.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NoDakFan said:

So while we all agree that we have a strong dislike for the gophers, shouldn't the discussion of how their program will look in vegas be put off for a while? They're two years out, and a lot can happen over two years. Hell - lets just worry about beating them in Mariucci in a few months and talk about them after the season starts.

Amen.