SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs. Minnesota in Las Vegas - October 2018

fargosioux

19 minutes ago, tnt said:

Agree, it would be cheaper to fly to a game when there are seats to be had at the Ralph for a game to watch your favorite team.  If you just want to be able to party in Las Vegas, you can do that any time.

Not everybody would have been going to Vegas to party it up and blow a bunch of money. I would have gladly gone to this game paying the premium $99+ fees for a ticket (which I think is kind of crazy for a college hockey game), but I had no intention of partying it up in Vegas. I realize I'm in the minority. This event is, basically, a Champions Club event and that's fine, but that's how it should be noted. I'm not really bitter and I'm over being annoyed. I understand why UND did what it did, but it definitely alienated some fans. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/15/2017 at 11:30 AM, talksalot83 said:

Not everybody would have been going to Vegas to party it up and blow a bunch of money. I would have gladly gone to this game paying the premium $99+ fees for a ticket (which I think is kind of crazy for a college hockey game), but I had no intention of partying it up in Vegas. I realize I'm in the minority. This event is, basically, a Champions Club event and that's fine, but that's how it should be noted. I'm not really bitter and I'm over being annoyed. I understand why UND did what it did, but it definitely alienated some fans. 

I guess the way I see it is, a lot of people become fans when the event is big. Where are all these people when the NCHC tournament comes around (plenty of seats available)? Don't get upset with the champion club or its members, they donate a lot of money and of course they should get first rights. These are the people that UND can count on to pay for things when events like this come along because they have invested so much already.

9 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I guess the way I see it is, a lot of people become fans when the event is big. Where are all these people when the NCHC tournament comes around (plenty of seats available)? Don't get upset with the champion club or its members, they donate a lot of money and of course they should get first rights. These are the people that UND can count on to pay for things when events like this come along because they have invested so much already.

Get this....I told a person they could make sure they don't miss out on these things ever again by donating $135 a year to UND, they got pissed at me and said they sent a kid through college at UND and that should get them first choice of tickets over champion club members!

I said OK and walked away.

12 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Get this....I told a person they could make sure they don't miss out on these things ever again by donating $135 a year to UND, they got pissed at me and said they sent a kid through college at UND and that should get them first choice of tickets over champion club members!

Wow. No words.:ohmy:

3 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

Well I know Brad Pitts brother and sister but that won't get me tickets to the Oscars!

Some people's logic is moronic.

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2017 at 9:54 AM, bigskyvikes said:

Even if that parent paid out of state tuition, he or she needs to take a look at what it costs to send kids to other colleges and Universities. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, JTSchro said:

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but sounds like this kid might play in this game.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4279351-minnesotas-top-hockey-prospect-middlestadt-fails-record-single-pull-during-strength

Sounds like a prototypical gopher's player.

Sam Bennett didn't do a pull up either, and he has done quite well in the NHL.  The scary part is that the gophers could possibly get two years out of Middlestadt if he has that much strength he needs to work on, nevermind the fact that with more strength he might dominate more.  Here's hoping that his strength concerns drops him to the Islanders in the draft and Garth Snow is worried about his development at Minnesota. ;) 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, JTSchro said:

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but sounds like this kid might play in this game.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4279351-minnesotas-top-hockey-prospect-middlestadt-fails-record-single-pull-during-strength

Sounds like a prototypical gopher's player.

Barring injury he'll definitely be there. Top 6.  I laughed when I read he couldn't do a pull up.  I think he may have only done one rep on the bench press as well.  Either way, he's elite though.

To me he came off as lazy. Speed, Strength, Endurance, pretty crucial for any athletics, but he was a little bit dismissive about strength having value in hockey. I'm sure he has enough talent to get himself a long ways, but why not reach your full potential???

“I try to work on being a hockey player; I don’t try to work on my bench press or pull-ups,” Mittelstadt said. “I want to be a hockey player and that’s what I train to do.

“… I think it’s good to be strong, and I think there are things I can get stronger at and work on, but I don’t think being able to do a pull-up is going to make me be able to handle the puck better or be a better shooter.”

Whoever is telling him that being good at stick handling & shooting is what he needs to excel at the next level should be dismissed from his life immediately.  Has anybody told him you get faster as you get stronger?  Your shot might get better as you get stronger.  Maybe, just maybe.    

It's like telling a wide receiver he doesn't need to worry about strength.  Just practice your routes and work on catching the ball.

• Upvote 3

I think he probably knows that strength is important, but in the face of the criticism he probably is just a bit defensive.  Not so much in the case of the NHL, but sometimes I think the NFL focuses too much on all of the combine data, rather than character and if they can play the game.  His answer probably doesn't help his situation, but I think the teams that are interested will continue to be so, and he will probably end up close to where he was projected anyway.  

Casey must have missed the weight room at Mariucci during his official visit.  Does he need to be able to do a pull up to be a successful hockey player?  Probably not.  But I hope re realizes that strenth conditioning is a vital part of being a hockey player.  Especially at the college and even more so in the NHL.  Talent has gotten himself this far, but in the NHL, everyone is good.  He should have asked his hero Sid if he can do more than one bench press!! ;)

8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Casey must have missed the weight room at Mariucci during his official visit.  Does he need to be able to do a pull up to be a successful hockey player?  Probably not.  But I hope re realizes that strenth conditioning is a vital part of being a hockey player.  Especially at the college and even more so in the NHL.  Talent has gotten himself this far, but in the NHL, everyone is good.  He should have asked his hero Sid if he can do more than one bench press!! ;)

I hope he realizes it after college.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, brianvf said:

He's going to be an excellent hockey player for the Gophers.
But man, I laughed out loud when I read that he didn't record a single pull-up.  :)

Did they mention he was able to do 10 "girl" push-ups?  (Those are the ones where your knees are supposed to touch the floor.)

• Upvote 1

With no context about (1) what NHL superstars have done or can do in the same controlled test, or (2) whether there is a correlation between such tests as a HS senior and NHL success, or (3) whether test results across the board for hockey players typically improve with age, this information is pretty much worthless.  Still fun to think about a potential world-class hockey player apparently lacking in sheer athleticism, but time will tell on this kid.