SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs. Minnesota in Las Vegas - October 2018

fargosioux

3 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

Because we have been so bad at home this year....the NCAA didn't want to put the host school in a unfair environment.

That would probably make more sense than what ever the real reason is

12 minutes ago, Fetch said:

That would probably make more sense that what ever the real reason is

I believe the real reason is this.  They will not award the regional to an on campus rink, unless it is the only bidder for that regional.  That exception is the reason that I think a regional was held at Notre Dame not long ago.

UND wants home ice advantage, but if the Ralph bid, and then say Xcel or some other arena bid, the Ralph would have no chance.  Thus, UND has elected to use Fargo as its arena of choice.  Still played in North Dakota in front of a home crowd, but we don't have to worry about missing out on the bid just because there was one other bidder.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I believe the real reason is this.  They will not award the regional to an on campus rink, unless it is the only bidder for that regional.  That exception is the reason that I think a regional was held at Notre Dame not long ago.

UND wants home ice advantage, but if the Ralph bid, and then say Xcel or some other arena bid, the Ralph would have no chance.  Thus, UND has elected to use Fargo as its arena of choice.  Still played in North Dakota in front of a home crowd, but we don't have to worry about missing out on the bid just because there was one other bidder.

Correct, the NCAA is not allowing regionals to be played at campus sites and has opted for "neutral sites" to play regionals in.

As stated, Compton Ice Arena was the exception because they were the only school that submitted a bid for the Midwest regional that year.

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

According to brad S twitter yesterday it looks like UND submitted a future bid in Sioux Falls. I think that arena seats around 11,000 for hockey so could be easy access to tickets whatever year that is.

2 questions...

1.  Did UND put the bid in for the Sanford Center in Sioux Falls?  Or was it a closer school like Omaha?

2.  Does the NCAA allow a school to be a host 2 years in a row?

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

2 questions...

1.  Did UND put the bid in for the Sanford Center in Sioux Falls?  Or was it a closer school like Omaha?

I know UND would be the host and it would be the Sanford Center.

I doubt it is next year, my guess would be in 2 or three years. 

2 hours ago, SJHovey said:

And they still bid the Ralph with Fargo.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

2 questions...

UND is the bidder and I've seen nothing about hosting back to back regionals.

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Why UND Picked Orleans Arena

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=105140

I couldn't tell if this was written by Schlossman or the UND officials who made the decision. It reads like someone who is defending why they made a decision (that was wrong) to their boss.

"At this time, officials didn’t have a lot of things to reference when guessing potential attendance."

I get this and hindsight is 20/20, but to me it comes down to did they do everything they could to try to gage interest. This includes reaching out to Championship Club members, ect.

"They weren’t sure with T-Mobile. In the end, they have acknowledged that they feel bad that there are some fans who wanted to attend but won’t be able to. But they are excited about the event being a slam dunk."

I guess my reaction would be a little different if I was responsible for leaving $500K on the table, but that's me.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

I think a lot of people were shocked at how many UND fans were at Madison Square Gardens.  This was all planned before that. 

That's fair and is basically what the UND officials, I mean Schlossman wrote.

I just hope they truly exhausted all options on gaging fan interest before they made the call. It's over and I guess I don't know what I'd expect them to say. I'm sure there is some anger internally (duh) about this, but it's over.  

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, hrkac said:

UND made a safe, calculated business decision with the info they had at the time it was set up.  I can't fault them for that.   

... and they have kept that demand and fervor for tickets at a high level.  You can bet the next time there is an event like this, every Champions Club member will take their allotment, and if put in a larger facility, the general public won't sleep on getting tickets fast just because there will be that much more seating. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Why UND Picked Orleans Arena

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=105140

Once UND saw how successful NY was (and knew tickets would be in high demand for Vegas), they should have changed the amount of tickets Champions Club members could purchase. There was still time.

I have nothing against CC members, it just would have been nice if they had allowed for a few more tickets to be available to the general public.

Just now, southpaw said:

Why?  CC members have earned the right to first access to tickets.  If you want that first right, join CC.

They STILL would have had access to tickets first. They just wouldn't have been able to purchase as many. IMO, allowing top members to purchase 6 instead of 8 is still a great benefit. And the fact that members who donated $135 got to purchase tickets also shows UND was more than fair to CC members.

Again, I saw a lot of club members say they bought the whole allotment simply because the option was there. It's unfortunate to see folks purchase tickets they don't need, especially when tickets were already very limited.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Why?  CC members have earned the right to first access to tickets.  If you want that first right, join CC.

I think the fear is that UND hockey will become a good-old boys club and accessible only to certain families and/or individuals. We need to continue building the next generation of fans and the more exposure they get to the team, the better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think the fear is that UND hockey will become a good-old boys club and accessible only to certain families and/or individuals. We need to continue building the next generation of fans and the more exposure they get to the team, the better.

And realize in this situation, we're talking about spending $99 per ticket for non-CC members who also have to pay for travel and hotel in Vegas.  $135 shouldn't break the bank for someone who is willing to shell out all the other money involved in this single game.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, MissSioux85 said:

They STILL would have had access to tickets first. They just wouldn't have been able to purchase as many. IMO, allowing top members to purchase 6 instead of 8 is still a great benefit. And the fact that members who donated $135 got to purchase tickets also shows UND was more than fair to CC members.

Again, I saw a lot of club members say they bought the whole allotment simply because the option was there. It's unfortunate to see folks purchase tickets they don't need, especially when tickets were already very limited.

I agree, it wouldn't have hurt to do that, but let's face it, a lot of the people that would have been purchasing those general public tickets, got tickets through their friends that are in the Champions Club.  I have no problem having more tickets for some people around the country that can't get to home games frequently, but there are many people around town that never go to a live hockey game at the Ralph, yet are first in line to complain that they can't get tickets to a "Special Event".  Some of those special event only fans got tickets from their Champions Club friends as well, leaving less in the pool for others.  I don't know what the answer is. 

9 minutes ago, southpaw said:

And realize in this situation, we're talking about spending $99 per ticket for non-CC members who also have to pay for travel and hotel in Vegas.  $135 shouldn't break the bank for someone who is willing to shell out all the other money involved in this single game.

Agree, it would be cheaper to fly to a game when there are seats to be had at the Ralph for a game to watch your favorite team.  If you just want to be able to party in Las Vegas, you can do that any time.