SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 2....

SWSiouxMN

A guy that sits by me at the Ralph showed me that proposed Blackhawks logo, and told me that was going to be our new logo when we became the Fighting Hawks. After a while, I finally made him understand that his information was incorrect. I wonder how many people are voting for that name based on that logo.

the vast majority of them

Why should I vote when I can't stand either option? If I had to vote, I would vote FH. I went to RR and having the same name is just plain stupid IMO.

I went to RR and could care less. Nobody outside GF cares - and many inside don't. Remember this is a name that will be projected worldwide, and nobody outside GF and certainly ND knows or cares. And I apologize to everyone for repeating the same stuff - were all repeating the same stuff - what a cluster **** this whole thing has been. 

• Upvote 3

How many of you hockey folks thought "Wild" was the dumbest nickname choice ever...and now have 17 different Minnesota jerseys hanging in your closet because that logo is just so damn cool?  

Show of hands, please, by +1's or -1's.

Exactly.

If the UND Fighting Hawks have a neat new logo that looks "cool", I can see plenty of new UND apparel getting worn real quickly...

A guy that sits by me at the Ralph showed me that proposed Blackhawks logo, and told me that was going to be our new logo when we became the Fighting Hawks. After a while, I finally made him understand that his information was incorrect. I wonder how many people are voting for that name based on that logo.

Nevertheless, the lesson here is that the new logo carries just as much weight - if not more - as the actual nickname itself. With that in mind, either Roughriders or Fighting Hawks can be "unique" if the subsequent logo is well-made and appealing. 

• Upvote 1

Do you suppose a creative mind out there can find a logo for Fighting Hawks that doesn't involve a bird? 

A soldier would do nicely.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hawk?s=t 

4.  Also called warhawkInformal. a person, especially one in public office, who advocates war or a belligerent national attitude.  Compare dove1(def 5).