SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Duluth

jimdahl

It doesn't seem like Sunday afternoon is too early to start this.

Saw this mentioned on USCHO, check out the WCHA scoring stats:

1   Junior Lessard           Minnesota-Duluth   SR W       24    1.50   17-19-36
     Brandon Bochenski        North Dakota       JR F       24    1.50   16-20-36
 3   Zach Parise              North Dakota       SO F       22    1.45   13-19-32
 4   Evan Schwabe             Minnesota-Duluth   JR C       24    1.25   10-20-30
 5   Brady Murray             North Dakota       FR F       22    1.32   15-14-29
 6   Thomas Vanek             Minnesota          SO F       22    1.27   15-13-28
     Tyler Brosz              Minnesota-Duluth   JR W       24    1.17    9-19-28
     Colby Genoway            North Dakota       JR F       24    1.17    6-22-28
 9   Tim Stapleton            Minnesota-Duluth   SO C       23    1.17   12-15-27[/code]

8 of the top 9 WCHA scorers will be facing off this weekend in what could be the battle for the crown.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, this is the most important stat for next weekend.

Penalties

1 Minnesota State 225-for-520 20.00

2 North Dakota 226-for-474 19.75

3 Minnesota 198-for-420 17.50

4 Denver 173-for-403 16.79

5 Wisconsin 182-for-400 16.67

6 Michigan Tech 172-for-399 16.63

7 Colorado College 183-for-396 16.50

8 Alaska-Anchorage 181-for-427 16.42

9 Minnesota-Duluth 185-for-384 16.00

10 St. Cloud State 146-for-303 12.63

North Dakota is second highest penalized team and Duluth scores on about 30% of its PP. The Sioux need to stay out of the box. With Don "Blow Whistle First, Find Penalty Later" Adams in control, our boys need to be extra disciplined.

I remember how the Minny fans were touting their PP and that we take too many penalties and we held them to 1 PP goal I believe.

We do need to stay out of the box, since even Mankato was able to score on the PP against us.

I wonder if the almighty head of officials will be gracing these games with his presence this weekend.

Adam is ref next weekend?? :love: Swell.

Actually, I didn't think he did TOO bad a job in the Minnesota series.

Doesn't matter. With Adam as ref, I'll guarantee at least 1 5x3 opportunity for UMD per game. Stauffacher will be able to cheap shot at will.

11 penalties for the Sioux on Friday. 9 on Saturday.

UMD will have 7 on Friday and 6 on Saturday.

Afterwards, Greg Sheperd will congratulate Adam on an ironman 8 days dealing with those thugs known as UND.

Sagard. Sagard. Sagard.

Don't your boys, and their fans, have enough to take care of and worry about on your own, without wishing what other teams might do to help up.

Remember, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

If the Gophers sweep into the postseason, they will be at home. If they struggle between here and there, you could be going out to see the mountains again sometime soon.

That wouldn't be so bad. Two weekends of rare air to get ready for the rair air of a West Regional with the Sioux.

Denver this week. At Denver, or CC, again in a couple of weeks. Then the Final Five, which would be a big break for the Gophers to miss. Rest. Healing.

Sagard. Sagard. Sagard.

Don't your boys, and their fans, have enough to take care of and worry about on your own, without wishing what other teams might do to help up.

Remember, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

If the Gophers sweep into the postseason, they will be at home. If they struggle between here and there, you could be going out to see the mountains again sometime soon.

That wouldn't be so bad. Two weekends of rare air to get ready for the rair air of a West Regional with the Sioux.

Denver this week. At Denver, or CC, again in a couple of weeks. Then the Final Five, which would be a big break for the Gophers to miss. Rest. Healing.

Ah come on.. Third place and the Final Five championship are still the immediate goals. :love:

I really want UMD to need points against UW.

About the injuries, GP came back as it was really seemed to inspire Guyer who had his best weekend in weeks. Vanek came back on Saturday and Lucia finally reunited Vanek/Koalska/Riddle.

Now the question will be whether or not Ryan P. will return, apparently he has looked very good in practicing.

Sure it is possible the Gophers could choke away home ice, but it is very unlikely. While the Gophers have not really been a match for UND or UMD (1-7-0) yet, they have been better than just about everyone else as their 19-4-3 record would suggest.

But enough about the Gophers, are the Sioux back on track or what? :p

Noticing that we are #3 in USCHO's current PWR (11 pm on Sunday 11/22), while UMD is #4.

A question - USCHO defines a quality win as a nonconference win against a top 15 team in the RPI. But they show UND with just one, when I think we have two. Let's assume they got the BC game correct. The other should be, I think, the HOF game on October 4 vs. UMD. Am I missing something? or is USCHO?

Noticing that we are #3 in USCHO's current PWR (11 pm on Sunday 11/22), while UMD is #4.

A question - USCHO defines a quality win as a nonconference win against a top 15 team in the RPI. But they show UND with just one, when I think we have two. Let's assume they got the BC game correct. The other should be, I think, the HOF game on October 4 vs. UMD. Am I missing something? or is USCHO?

They don't count non-conference games against conference opponents. This was a complaint last year by BU fans during the Beanpot tourney.

ALMOST, ALMOST was goign to make the trip up to watch this series, should eb one heck of a fight for both teams.

UND has to watch the penalties, UMD can make short work of a goalie in that situation.

I'm hoping for two 0-0 ties! :p Or at least a split! :love: Actually, good hockey is what I hope for, no reffing issues and a quality match up.

WPoS

Now the question will be whether or not Ryan P. will return, apparently he has looked very good in practicing.

Sure it is possible the Gophers could choke away home ice, but it is very unlikely.  While the Gophers have not really been a match for UND or UMD (1-7-0) yet, they have been better than just about everyone else as their 19-4-3 record would suggest.

But enough about the Gophers, are the Sioux back on track or what?  :love:

Sagard, WPOS, Greyeagle- what are your opinons on Ryan P. Do you want to see him back this year or should he take the redshirt. IMO, he should take the redshirt, he didn't seem to be having a great freshman year anyway.

Adam seemed to have run out of air after Friday night, as he didn't blow the whistle much on Saturday (not that it was necessary either day). Maybe he'll be still airless by next weekend.

you said "air-less" I think you meant "hair-less" :love:

WPoS

Adam seemed to have run out of air after Friday night, as he didn't blow the whistle much on Saturday (not that it was necessary either day). Maybe he'll be still airless by next weekend.

One interesting thing that happened after the Saturday game at Mankato ended, was that at least 7 or 8 of the Sioux players skated across the rink to Adam to shake his hand. Much of the time I don't pay much attention to what happens after 0:00, is that a normal occurance? Maybe they knew who the ref was going to be in Duluth :love:

One interesting thing that happened after the Saturday game at Mankato ended, was that at least 7 or 8 of the Sioux players skated across the rink to Adam to shake his hand.

It's good to know that the boys are brushing up on their PR skills. :love:

Don Lucia on PA & Dubay said if the Sioux want to do something against Duluth they will have to do it on Friday night because Duluth will be very hard to beat on Saturday night. Dubay said he doesn't think the Sioux can do anything in Duluth this weekend and Duluth will be skating with the McNaughton Cup on Saturday.

First of all, there is no way the Sioux will let Duluth skate in front of them with the McNaughton Cup celebrating. Second, can someone please tell me what these stupid little Gopher punks are thinking? The Sioux have been ranked in the top two for a better part of the season and they are going to bring their A+ game to Duluth. The Sioux are not going to fold just because Duluth has a 15 game unbeaten streak. Let us not forget who handed Duluth their last two losses, the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!

Adam is ref next weekend?? :love: Swell.

Actually, I didn't think he did TOO bad a job in the Minnesota series.

Um....did you watch the same games I did 2 weeks ago??

Lets see....Minnesota guy takes his stick and hooks Peluso on the back of the jersey and yanks him down...no call

Minnesota had plenty of offsides...no call

Minnesota had 2 times too many men on the ice...no call

Maybe the games on FSN didnt show them :p

I think the Sioux are going to come out flying on Fri night. Everyone is healthy and we are rolling 4 lines. Let's not forget that Blais is the master and Sandy is the understudy. Blais knows Sandy's tendencies well. There cannot be any stupid needless penalties this weekend (are you listening Prpich?). Set a physical tone but do not take the needless elbow or charge. Hopefully there will be a big Sioux presence, I cannot wait to get up there. This week of work is really going to drag!!

GO Sioux!

I think the Sioux are going to come out flying on Fri night. Everyone is healthy and we are rolling 4 lines. Let's not forget that Blais is the master and Sandy is the understudy. Blais knows Sandy's tendencies well. There cannot be any stupid needless penalties this weekend (are you listening Prpich?). Set a physical tone but do not take the needless elbow or charge. Hopefully there will be a big Sioux presence, I cannot wait to get up there. This week of work is really going to drag!!

GO Sioux!

I think Sandy has the advantage actually. He would well know Blais' coaching tendancies from observing them first hand.

Blais would have much less opportunity to observe Sandy as a head coach.

I agree with you on the penalties. We better play awfully clean. We can't afford to give them too many PP chances. Just can't.

I think Sandy has the advantage actually. He would well know Blais' coaching tendancies from observing them first hand.

Blais would have much less opportunity to observe Sandy as a head coach.

I agree with you on the penalties. We better play awfully clean. We can't afford to give them too many PP chances. Just can't.

Blais's tendencies are Sandy's tendencies. I think Blais has the upperhand because he tought Sandy everything. The coaches don't play the games however, and with that said the team that plays the best will win both nights. My guess is that will be the Sioux both nights.