SiouxSports.com Forum

yababy8

Added tto not replaced by.  Hence the comparison to Mizzou or Ole Miss.

I'm looking to get through this "adopt a new name" B.S. process as painlessly  as possible. Most people agree that our choices suck.  Nodaks doesn't suck as a secondary nickname as the schools mentioned use two names and as we have used Nodaks in the past.

We can add another name later and do it the right way.  If for nothing else to do it without the help of the Kelley admin.

Yeah.

Missouri is a land of rubes, yokels and hicks.  But their epicenter is Mississippi.  

Nice comparison...

• Upvote 1

Sometimes nothing is better than something.

Well, Nodaks is as close to nothing as you can get for a legitimate nickname, so I suppose the fighting Sioux forever folks must love it.  Nodaks would move some serious merchandise, not.

Edited by Herd
  • Upvote 1

I don't know how Mizzou and Nodaks are even being compared. Frist off Mizzou is another name for The University of Missouri. Mizzou IS NOT a nickname for University of Missouri athletics, that would be the Tigers. Nodaks would be comparable Mizzou or Wazzu if it was use as a short way of saying The University of North Dakota. Calling The University of North Dakota athletics Nodaks sounds as dumb as saying The University of Missouri Mizzou and Washington State University Wazzu.  

• Upvote 3

A brand new professional hockey franchise came up with Wild. They could have picked anything. Another picked Blue Jackets, a vague reference to fighting for the North in the Civil War (their second choice was Justice). Yet another picked Lightning. Look at the names in the NBA (Sun, Heat, Magic, Thunder, Pelicans, Wizards, Hornets, Spurs). And all of the schools with Native American names that changed to some form of Hawk. There is no guarantee that any nickname process would come up with a better list than the one that UND came up with.

I like every one of those names over Fighting Hawks, besides the Blue Jacket's second choice.  The second sentence of my OP wasn't my point however.

Edited by scpa0305

tnt has a valid point. Roughriders has been my first choice through this whole process. I don't think I'm the only one.

Unlike Nodak supporters who were Fighting Sioux (despite potential sanctions) forever, than only North Dakota, and now Nodak. And on top of that, many Nodak supporters want it only temporarily, so that yet another name can be selected. 

That sounds like a great plan, let's let this hang over UND's head for another 10 years. 

That is happening no matter which way this ends up....the bottom line is we don't have a name to choose from that is worthy of the University. If one comes along organically then there will be a movement towards that name....whether that happens or not, Sioux and Fighting Sioux will overshadow things for 20-25 years so everyone should simmer their expectations that a new name that in the end is favored by less than 10% of the shareholders is going to create some groundswell of support.

• Upvote 1

A brand new professional hockey franchise came up with Wild. They could have picked anything. Another picked Blue Jackets, a vague reference to fighting for the North in the Civil War (their second choice was Justice). Yet another picked Lightning. Look at the names in the NBA (Sun, Heat, Magic, Thunder, Pelicans, Wizards, Hornets, Spurs). And all of the schools with Native American names that changed to some form of Hawk. There is no guarantee that any nickname process would come up with a better list than the one that UND came up with.

Aside from the fact that 5-10 that were better than any of the remaining were discarded along the way.

Hey, instead of boring old Nodaks, how about spicing things up a bit?  Add a couple more letters and Nodaks becomes NORDAKOTS! (nor-da-kots).  It sure as hell is better than Fighting Hawks. :)

Wow. I actually kind of like that.  emphasis on the first syllable

OK so UNDBIZ noticed a void in the separate name threads- good eye UNDBIZ.  Now that we have all established why Fighting Hawks is inadequate and Roughriders won't work,  Here is why you should vote NODAKS:

Last Saturday I was at the CC game. Sitting behind me a Tiger fan tapped me on the shoulder during a time out. I turned around to see an older woman(guessing around 70). She asked me if I had ever heard of a game from way back in Madison Wisconsin where there was a huge bench clearing brawl started because a Wisconsin player went into the North Dakota bench. Of course I said yes I had heard of it and added that it was referred to in legendary fashion as the water bottle incident. Surprised at the fact that I knew of what she was describing she exclaimed, "I was there".

We went o to chat of and on for the rest of the game. Turned out she graduated from 'UW' as she endearingly referred to Wisconsin. She was telling me that Wisconsin had two rivals; North Dakota and Minnesota. She unequivocally declared that North Dakota was really the main rival because of how we played the game compared to Minnesota. She kept saying "Nodak" this and "Nodak" that. It was all with great respect for the competition level and the rivalry. Not a derogatory tone in any of it. Just fond memories of great rivalry games. I did not share with her the name issue or the last three options for a new nickname at all. She simply referred to us as Nodak and she said it respectfully.

My point here is that at that time, chatting with the wise old lady, I realized something, Nodak is ALREADY our name. If you haven't seen the pictures of our sports jerseys with Nodak on them from the 40-50 years ago look it up. So picking Nodaks is like picking no change needed-thank you!

I read Goon's blog post today where he says- Hawks is the, "best choice of three unattractive/bad choices." That is saying a lot Goon. You're picking a bad choice. That is not good. Most people agree with you BTW. The majority of people don't like any of the three. Well consider this then:

If we choose Nodaks as our "official" nickname does it not, given its nature, lend itself to integrating another name at some future time when it can happen more naturally(the way nicknames are supposed to come about, organically instead of by force). You may be wondering what I mean so I will use an example:

The University of Missouri their official nickname is the Tigers(named after a group of pre-civil war militias called the "Fighting Tigers", ironically. Now as most of us know the school is also referred to as "Mizzou" which I bet upon hearing for the first time one would think, "what a stupid, hick nickname". It's not unlike "Nodaks" if you think about it. It's a shortening of a name to a nickname. Happens all the time(right Cags, Pooly?) and is very logical and fitting, especially when it occurs organically like Nodaks did decades ago. But is Mizzou not a cool name as part of the mix of Missouri Tigers? There is no reason Nodaks wouldn't be the same animal, serve the same purpose for us..

So the beauty of going with Nodaks can be summarized as follows:

1. Allows the University to stay with tradition while ending the NCAA assault.

2. Allows the University to organically develop another name in the future without having to change names. (oh and yes before any of you radicals get all bent out of whack saying I'm a Sioux hold out and that this could be the Sioux name 'some day. Whatever! Ether the name will be the Sioux or not either way it will be fitting to call us the Nodaks.(just like Mizzou) But more importantly it means that we can have time and a correct 'natural' process to get another nickname that the MAJORITY of people don't dislike.

this isn't a dictatorship, do not act like president Kelley and tell me how to vote......

It pains me deeply when I see the most truth and honesty on this forum coming from ... a Bison fan. 

nothing is going to move as much merchandise as Sioux. It's just not going to happen. Whether one of those names can get close remains to be seen, and we likely won't have our answer for multiple decades.

Of the three remaining nicknames I would think  FH or Roughriders would probably be better merchandise sellers.    Of course it will come down to the logos  they go with.    Nodaks would seem to have the same feel  as the UND or ND  we use now.

nothing is going to move as much merchandise as Sioux. It's just not going to happen. Whether one of those names can get close remains to be seen, and we likely won't have our answer for multiple decades.

I kind of hope you are wrong about this.  I hope that n matter what name and eventual logo are decided on, that ALL UND fans will support the University, it's athletic teams and it's new identity by purchasing merchandise with the new name and logo.  If this happens, then your statement will prove to be wrong and the merchandise sold meets and exceeds Sioux merchandise.  

I kind of hope you are wrong about this.  I hope that n matter what name and eventual logo are decided on, that ALL UND fans will support the University, it's athletic teams and it's new identity by purchasing merchandise with the new name and logo.  If this happens, then your statement will prove to be wrong and the merchandise sold meets and exceeds Sioux merchandise.  

I can support the University without purchasing a moronic logo/nickname...

• Upvote 4

Of course it will come down to the logos  they go with.

Which is why this conversation about predicted merch sales is useless while we have no idea what they will create.  Who here would prepay right now for a NoDak, RR or Hawk jersey before seeing the design?

Edited by obborg

I can support the University without purchasing a moronic logo/nickname...

I guess you have every right to not support a new name and logo and just sit in the stands and yell "Go UND", "Go North Dakota", or be really stubborn and yell "Go Sioux".  You have the right to do so.  But the rest of us will accept the change and support the so called "Moronic logo/nickname" that the athleletes we are cheering for are wearing.  

• Upvote 2

I guess you have every right to not support a new name and logo and just sit in the stands and yell "Go UND", "Go North Dakota", or be really stubborn and yell "Go Sioux".  You have the right to do so.  But the rest of us will accept the change and support the so called "Moronic logo/nickname" that the athleletes we are cheering for are wearing.  

I like your positive attitude and agree with your post!!!