SiouxSports.com Forum

yababy8

OK so UNDBIZ noticed a void in the separate name threads- good eye UNDBIZ.  Now that we have all established why Fighting Hawks is inadequate and Roughriders won't work,  Here is why you should vote NODAKS:

Last Saturday I was at the CC game. Sitting behind me a Tiger fan tapped me on the shoulder during a time out. I turned around to see an older woman(guessing around 70). She asked me if I had ever heard of a game from way back in Madison Wisconsin where there was a huge bench clearing brawl started because a Wisconsin player went into the North Dakota bench. Of course I said yes I had heard of it and added that it was referred to in legendary fashion as the water bottle incident. Surprised at the fact that I knew of what she was describing she exclaimed, "I was there".

We went o to chat of and on for the rest of the game. Turned out she graduated from 'UW' as she endearingly referred to Wisconsin. She was telling me that Wisconsin had two rivals; North Dakota and Minnesota. She unequivocally declared that North Dakota was really the main rival because of how we played the game compared to Minnesota. She kept saying "Nodak" this and "Nodak" that. It was all with great respect for the competition level and the rivalry. Not a derogatory tone in any of it. Just fond memories of great rivalry games. I did not share with her the name issue or the last three options for a new nickname at all. She simply referred to us as Nodak and she said it respectfully.

My point here is that at that time, chatting with the wise old lady, I realized something, Nodak is ALREADY our name. If you haven't seen the pictures of our sports jerseys with Nodak on them from the 40-50 years ago look it up. So picking Nodaks is like picking no change needed-thank you!

I read Goon's blog post today where he says- Hawks is the, "best choice of three unattractive/bad choices." That is saying a lot Goon. You're picking a bad choice. That is not good. Most people agree with you BTW. The majority of people don't like any of the three. Well consider this then:

If we choose Nodaks as our "official" nickname does it not, given its nature, lend itself to integrating another name at some future time when it can happen more naturally(the way nicknames are supposed to come about, organically instead of by force). You may be wondering what I mean so I will use an example:

The University of Missouri their official nickname is the Tigers(named after a group of pre-civil war militias called the "Fighting Tigers", ironically. Now as most of us know the school is also referred to as "Mizzou" which I bet upon hearing for the first time one would think, "what a stupid, hick nickname". It's not unlike "Nodaks" if you think about it. It's a shortening of a name to a nickname. Happens all the time(right Cags, Pooly?) and is very logical and fitting, especially when it occurs organically like Nodaks did decades ago. But is Mizzou not a cool name as part of the mix of Missouri Tigers? There is no reason Nodaks wouldn't be the same animal, serve the same purpose for us..

So the beauty of going with Nodaks can be summarized as follows:

1. Allows the University to stay with tradition while ending the NCAA assault.

2. Allows the University to organically develop another name in the future without having to change names. (oh and yes before any of you radicals get all bent out of whack saying I'm a Sioux hold out and that this could be the Sioux name 'some day. Whatever! Ether the name will be the Sioux or not either way it will be fitting to call us the Nodaks.(just like Mizzou) But more importantly it means that we can have time and a correct 'natural' process to get another nickname that the MAJORITY of people don't dislike.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 5

Bob didn't like sushi. His buddy Bill loved sushi. Bill tried to tell Bob that he should love sushi too. Bill started to look down on Bob because he didn't like sushi. He called him names, like hick,rube, backward moron. Bob told Bill, I've tried sushi, I just don't like it, but I love garlic. Bill hated garlic.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Glad I could help to fill the void. Mizzou is the Tigers, other similar situations include the Ole Miss Rebels and the Cal Golden Bears. So really, just Nodak isn't a valid comparison. The Nodak Roughriders works. 

The comparison is Nodaks to Mizzou or Ole Miss is another great one.  The equivalent to Tigers or Rebels comes later is my point..  If Missouri decided to lose Tigers because their warring affiliation then Mizzou would not go with it,  Each nickname stands alone...

Thanks for tapping into our key demo - 70 YEAR OLD WOMEN!  Did her memories go back to old school movie newsreels?  Sounds like she was kind of disturbed by the latest field maneuvers of the KAISER and took solice in the pigskin antics of her favorite gridiron team - THE NODAKS with their leather helmets and all!:-p

Ag school fans are already making the signs...GO NODICKS!   Which I guess would be appropriate for our womens' teams but not for the men.  The only positive out of that situation is we all know who the biggest DICKS are in the sports world and they go to the ag school down south to study whatever they teach down there and I couldn't give 2 sh*ts what that is!

GO FIGHTING HAWKS!

Fighting Hawks - Fighting Cocks, SuckHawks
Roughriders - Need I say more than that?

The opposing team will always find a way to make fun of whatever name we choose.

Go Nodaks!

Let's be the Fighting Bjaardkers

Watch Nicolas Cage weigh in on choosing a name.  Funny:

https://screen.yahoo.com/baby-names-000000664.html

Edited by yababy8

North Dakota was ruled off the table a while back, not sure if anyone got the memo. So no, we won't be the "North Dakota North Dakota." Nodaks is a sort of "nickname," if you will, for the fine, hardworking, dedicated, spirited people of the Great State of North Dakota. If our name is Nodaks, what announcer will then call us the North Dakota's? None, because that won't be our nickname. Dunzo. Over. Finished. End of discussion. 

Not that I support Nodaks this time around. Just get up outta here with that crazy, wack Fighting Hawk stuff

Edited by TrueSioux2000
  • Upvote 2

I spent 6 years at UND in the late 90s/early 00s.  I never once heard the "word" Nodak.  When it started popping up in the nickname conversation, I wondered how people were thinking that they'd sneak in another tribal name (I had just assumed that's what it was).  It is not the unofficial name of the school, it is a stupid contraction of the name of the state, and was by far the worst of the 5 options (way behind Sundogs). 

• Upvote 4

I spent 6 years at UND in the late 90s/early 00s.  I never once heard the "word" Nodak.  When it started popping up in the nickname conversation, I wondered how people were thinking that they'd sneak in another tribal name (I had just assumed that's what it was).  It is not the unofficial name of the school, it is a stupid contraction of the name of the state, and was by far the worst of the 5 options (way behind Sundogs). 

BINGO!

It's the dumbest name by FAR. 

It's basically the North Dakota North Dakotas. 

And the people who don't realize that are as foolish as the actual name is. 

ANYTHING but "Nodaks"

GO HAWKS!

And because you said so it must be true haha :lol:

It seems as though people struggle to grasp the concept of an opinion. 

The comparison is Nodaks to Mizzou or Ole Miss is another great one.  The equivalent to Tigers or Rebels comes later is my point..  If Missouri decided to lose Tigers because their warring affiliation then Mizzou would not go with it,  Each nickname stands alone...

Mizzou or Ol' Miss is just being too lazy to say Missouri or Mississippi, just like Nodak is a lazy, rube-ish way to not say what you mean: North Dakota. 

• Upvote 1

In the case being voted on, Nodaks would be equivalent with University of Missouri Mizzous, University of Mississippi Ole Misses, and University of California Cals, which don't exist for obvious reasons.  If you still feel it's the least bad nickname option that's fine, but don't try to mislead with a direct comparison to Mizzou (which has an actual nickname).

• Upvote 1