SiouxSports.com Forum

Nodaks: 100% bland

UNDBIZ

Since we're now having separate threads campaigning against each name, I figured it was time to start this one. 

Nodak is an old USPS code for North Dakota, so it's a name with all the imagination and foresight of the federal postal service. Nodaks is often used as a derogatory term for people from North Dakota. Nodaks is at best a temporary name that might last a decade before we go through this whole mess again. Nodaks gives no hint of a usable logo, leaving quite possibly the most important part of the name change entirely up to a bunch of vanilla, unimaginative higher ed administrators. UND already hit and quit Nodaks in the 40s because it wasn't any good, and this at a time when one night stands were very taboo. Just say no to Nodaks..... this round. :D

Maybe people will think history will repeat itself, we went from Nodaks to Sioux....maybe another chance at being the Sioux if we pick Nodaks?    Go Fighting Roughriderhawks.

Nodaks would be redundancy at its finest. What does Nodaks stand for? I've been referred to as a Nodak, not in a derogatory sense, but rather as being someone from the state of North Dakota. So essentially we'd be called the University of North Dakota North Dakotans. GREAT idea.

I can't believe a committee had to be formed to settle with these names. Smh. 

It would be fine, if you want to be thought of as a bunch of hicks.

Or rubes.

Or whatever other word conjures up the image of backward morons.  

If that's what you want, go for it.

But put the hick/rube on a horse, and suddenly it's a roughrider, which is totally badass, right?  :p     Both nicknames are ancient in the eyes of the youth, which is a big factor in why Fighting Hawks dominated the first vote and will probably win.

• Upvote 4

I just don't get the people say they liked hearing it when the hockey team played in Providence.  The announcer never used it as a nickname.  He always said "NoDak," as in, short for North Dakota.  You never heard him say, "the NoDaks," it was always, "he's been a good player for NoDak."  Turns out we can still refer to the teams as NoDak if that's soooo important with a different official nickname.

• Upvote 2

Or rubes.

Yah but the Hockies want it so it must be a good nickname.  Or they know they can ignore it once it is the nickname.  Either one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nodaks? It's been put on the ash heap once already, and by UND no less. 

Ya, discarded for the greatest name in the history of  competitive Athletics. If we had the choice now, we'd all prefer sioux just like they did back in the day . But we don't so we pick the best of the rest. 

Since we're now having separate threads campaigning against each name, I figured it was time to start this one. 

Nodak is an old USPS code for North Dakota, so it's a name with all the imagination and foresight of the federal postal service. Nodaks is often used as a derogatory term for people from North Dakota. Nodaks is at best a temporary name that might last a decade before we go through this whole mess again. Nodaks gives no hint of a usable logo, leaving quite possibly the most important part of the name change entirely up to a bunch of vanilla, unimaginative higher ed administrators. UND already hit and quit Nodaks in the 40s because it wasn't any good, and this at a time when one night stands were very taboo. Just say no to Nodaks..... this round. :D

Which name isn't bland?

• Upvote 2

Ya, discarded for the greatest name in the history of  competitive Athletics. If we had the choice now, we'd all prefer sioux just like they did back in the day . But we don't so we pick the best of the rest. 

Uh, no. 

Sioux was adopted in the 1930s. The use of Nodaks was in the 1940s (was it perceived better than Sioux?) and then rubbished. 

Which name isn't bland?

Nodaks = 100% bland - an abbreviated version of the name of the state

Fighting Hawks = 85% bland - it's another hawk

Roughriders = 10% bland - state nickname (same as the 2 prior UND nicknames), historical reference, only drawback is some people seem to care that it's used by a high school (personally, I quit caring about high school sports almost immediately after graduating from high school)

;)

• Upvote 3

Uh, no. 

Sioux was adopted in the 1930s. The use of Nodaks was in the 1940s (was it perceived better than Sioux?) and then rubbished. 

If we were looking for a name to replace the sioux but had the option of keeping the sioux I would rubbish it, yad be a wanker  not ta

Edited by Sodacker
Autocorrect sucks

Or rubes.

I never realized the oil boom turned North Dakota into an urbane, cosmopolitan "it spot" on par with Manhattan, Stockholm or London.  I can't wait until it's featured in Architectural Digest or Destinations. :p