SiouxSports.com Forum

Say no to Roughriders come on Larry!?!

yababy8

Seriously!  I see many people still into Roughriders??

You can't have two schools with followed (same sports) athletic programs with the same name in the same town.  I know a lot of you think it will work because you like the name, I get it.  But if your brother or sister names their kid a name you like will you pick the same name for your child?  Of course not.  One of the main purposes in a name is identification.  People worry about the how Nodaks will be perceived by others.  What will people think about us having two athletic programs a couple of miles from each other with the same fricking name.  Ludicrous! Just ask Bob...

It's a good name but it's spoken for in town...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

Before I begin, let me be clear I am not totally PRO-roughrider or Nodak, I am simply anti-Hawk. I have not voted yet in this second round of voting, and honestly don't know what I will vote for. 

So, in response to the video, which I have no clue where it is from (I was the self proclaimed master of references so that makes me sad to say), both of those gentlemen are "Deryl." Fine, great for humor.  In the case of Roughriders: one school named Roughriders is a high school which means is covers the local to regional market? If the University of North Dakota were to adopt Roughriders as a name it would cover the regional to national market, no? So how are the two going to conflict? They certainly don't ever play each other in any sport. Graduates of RRHS may become students at UND in which case it's an easy transition for their Roughrider apparel. The argument of "the same two nicknames in the same town," is nonsense because one is an institution of higher learning and the other is a local high school. At the Frozen Four, or FCS Playoffs, or NCAA basketball tournament, who will care whether there are two Roughriders in Grand Forks, ND? Like at the Frozen Four, which happens more often as of late, whats Buccigross going to say, "The Terriers looked good this season, and so did the Roughriders. The Roughriders of UND of course and not Red River High School, if anyone was confused."??????  I'll bet no one, because I guarantee there will be better things to talk about. I'm just saying, and no offense to the good folks over at Red River, but it's a high school versus an NCAA institution. Who cares. 

Now, Hawks? That's an argument where there are 40+ other institutions using the name or a variation of it. That's a real problem.

I guess I'm ageing myself???

It's from the Bob Newheart show.  "Hi I'm Larry. This is my brother Deryl and this is my other brother Deryl" was a quite well known phrase from sitcom lore back in the early 80's..

Regarding your assertion that because one is high school and the other is college so there will be no meaningful or conflicting association,  Of course there will.

Sat morning questions at Denny's:  Who won the Riders game last night?  Did you go to the Riders game?  The Riders are playing very well right now. on and on.

The name is taken...

Edited by yababy8
  • Upvote 2

Seriously!  I see many people still into Roughriders??

You can't have two schools with followed (same sports) athletic programs with the same name in the same town.  I know a lot of you think it will work because you like the name, I get it.  But if your brother or sister names their kid a name you like will you pick the same name for your child?  Of course not.  One of the main purposes in a name is identification.  People worry about the how Nodaks will be perceived by others.  What will people think about us having two athletic programs a couple of miles from each other with the same fricking name.  Ludicrous! Just ask Bob...

It's a good name but it's spoken for in town...

<grabs popcorn>

Before I begin, let me be clear I am not totally PRO-roughrider or Nodak, I am simply anti-Hawk. I have not voted yet in this second round of voting, and honestly don't know what I will vote for. 

So, in response to the video, which I have no clue where it is from (I was the self proclaimed master of references so that makes me sad to say), both of those gentlemen are "Deryl." Fine, great for humor.  In the case of Roughriders: one school named Roughriders is a high school which means is covers the local to regional market? If the University of North Dakota were to adopt Roughriders as a name it would cover the regional to national market, no? So how are the two going to conflict? They certainly don't ever play each other in any sport. Graduates of RRHS may become students at UND in which case it's an easy transition for their Roughrider apparel. The argument of "the same two nicknames in the same town," is nonsense because one is an institution of higher learning and the other is a local high school. At the Frozen Four, or FCS Playoffs, or NCAA basketball tournament, who will care whether there are two Roughriders in Grand Forks, ND? Like at thFrozen Four, which happens more often as of late, whats Buccigross going to say, "The Terriers looked good this season, and so did the Roughriders. The Roughriders of UND of course and not Red River High School, if anyone was confused."??????  I'll bet no one, because I guarantee there will be better things to talk about. I'm just saying, and no offense to the good folks over at Red River, but it's a high school versus an NCAA institution. Who cares. 

Now, Hawks? That's an argument where there are 40+ other institutions using the name or a variation of it. That's a real problem.

It's from the Newhart tv show. Starring Bob Newhart. Does the 2000 reference the year you were born?;)

It's from the Newhart tv show. Starring Bob Newhart. Does the 2000 reference the year you were born?;)

I wish I was born in 2000, it would give me some childhood back! And right now, mid-term, I would kill for that!! I was too young to care or understand what the hell was on TV,  besides Nickelodeon, of course!!:lol:

• Upvote 2

I guess I'm ageing myself???

It's from the Bob Newheart show.  "Hi I'm Larry. This is my brother Deryl and this is my other brother Deryl" was a quite well known phrase from sitcom lore back in the early 80's..

Regarding your assertion that because one is high school and the other is college so there will be no meaningful or conflicting association,  Of course there will.

Sat morning questions at Denny's:  Who won the Riders game last night?  Did you go to the Riders game?  The Riders are playing very well right now. on and on.

The name is taken...

Alright fine, high school trumps University. Makes no sense where I come from, but perhaps things are different out here. 

Alright fine, high school trumps University. Makes no sense where I come from, but perhaps things are different out here. 

You're making my point.  One has to trump the other?  The same name is ok if one is lesser the other??

That's not a very conducive situation for a community. It's not like Grand Forks is a Minneapolis with dozens of high schools in the local area.  This thinking sounds like it has the serious potential to become toxic.  Red River doesn't matter?  I could care less about Red River myself but still this is all taking place in a very small community.

• Upvote 1

To those of you here that say you can't have Roughriders because of 2 names in 1 town, you can't look past the end of your own nose. Do you really think anyone outside of Grand Forks really cares if there are 2?!?! This is about North Dakota, not Grand Forks! Get over yourselves and do what is best for the state and how it relates to the state. Nobody in the rest of the state cares about RR. This is representative of the state! How does Fighting Hawks do that. What about the other 1,000 schools that are named Hawks? I live in a small town which has Hawks as their mascot. Do you really care about us? You are in a diner here and someone goes "how did the Hawks do last night?" Can you imagine the confusion? Me neither, so get over the RR thing!!!!!

To those of you here that say you can't have Roughriders because of 2 names in 1 town, you can't look past the end of your own nose. Do you really think anyone outside of Grand Forks really cares if there are 2?!?! This is about North Dakota, not Grand Forks! Get over yourselves and do what is best for the state and how it relates to the state. Nobody in the rest of the state cares about RR. This is representative of the state! How does Fighting Hawks do that. What about the other 1,000 schools that are named Hawks? I live in a small town which has Hawks as their mascot. Do you really care about us? You are in a diner here and someone goes "how did the Hawks do last night?" Can you imagine the confusion? Me neither, so get over the RR thing!!!!!

You can't point the local Grand Forks guy finger at me. I live in Colorado.  I haven't lived in Grand Forks since 1995.  As I said, I could care less about RR sports but that doesn't change the fact that RR sports are followed in Grand forks and the area.  Maybe you and others who don't care about RR should get over yourself.  It's not always about you right?

There is a high concentration of voters living in Grand Forks so it makes sense to appeal to them about this issue.  Sure, non GF residents maybe don't care.  But GF residents maybe do care.

If you want to vote Roughriders fine, but stop pretending you're on some moral high ground telling people to get over the fact the nickname committee wasn't creative enough to look over 5 miles away from its own campus to find a nickname.  Myself, I'm voting Nodaks then RR then FH but to tell people to "get over it" doesn't help anything.  It's an opinion that doesn't require anyone to get over anything.

• Upvote 4

To those of you here that say you can't have Roughriders because of 2 names in 1 town, you can't look past the end of your own nose.

Do you really think anyone outside of Grand Forks really cares if there are 2?!?! 

Nobody in the rest of the state cares about RR.  How does Fighting Hawks do that. 

I do.

Red River High School "Riders"

University of North Dakota" Roughriders"

Problem solved!!

Did RR highschool give the OK for this or are they being relegated? Cause they are a high school no one cares about.

I'm curious, how many people attend the state high school hockey, football and Basketball championships?

Imagine the day UND Roughriders are playing the Bison in football on the same day RR Roughriders are playing Fargo in football.

Just seems silly...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Did RR highschool give the OK for this or are they being relegated? Cause they are a high school no one cares about.

I'm curious, how many people attend the state high school hockey, football and Basketball championships?

Imagine the day UND Roughriders are playing the Bison in football on the same day RR Roughriders are playing Fargo in football.

Just seems silly...

Honestly, I am sick and tired of outsiders telling us what they approve or disapprove of. Screw that. This is about what is good for UND, now and in the future. Keep it up buddy, you are actually making a good case for Roughriders with your constant harping on "GFRR had it first, so we can't use it". If this is the only strike against Roughriders, that makes it look really good compared to the strikes against the other two finalists (Nodaks and Fighting Hawks).

The DS ad was good, but your unintentional advertising is even bettter! Keep it up!!! :p

• Upvote 1

Just seems silly...

Do you think those people are dumb and can't figure out the difference? I guess I give people a little more credit than you.

• Upvote 1

What will people think about us having two athletic programs a couple of miles from each other with the same fricking name. 

Ames, Iowa:

Iowa State University Cyclones (colors: red, yellow)

Ames (IA) High School Little Cyclones (colors: orange, black)

Before right now, did you know (or care) that ISU and the HS in Ames are both the Cyclones? 

And better, somehow those Iowegians can keep them straight.

Edited by The Sicatoka