SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Hawks 100% illogical & 0% unique

yababy8

Voting for a name cause it will sell a few t shirts is about as bad a reason as voting for it because the logo will look cooler when no official logo designs have been released. 

What's wrong with a ND fighting hawk? It's an OFFICIAL logo that the athletic department and university can finally be associated with. The alternatives are no better.

And if Hawks or Riders wins we are all at the mercy of an already untrusted leadership to somehow produce a logo that's good enough to elevate a mediocre nickname to greatness.

Nodaks, on the other hand already has a built-in logo, the interlocked ND.

You mean that symbol UND has to license from a different college?  Sorry, that's not going to cut it.  IMHO, if Nodaks wins, there needs to be a new logo.

And if Hawks or Riders wins we are all at the mercy of an already untrusted leadership to somehow produce a logo that's good enough to elevate a mediocre nickname to greatness.

Nodaks, on the other hand already has a built-in logo, the interlocked ND.

Kelly will have retired by the time a new logo is commissioned. On the other hand, pretty sure Faison will still be at UND.

By far the greatest factor in merchandise sales is success in the athletic arena.

Certainly helps!

What I am saying is "what will sell". The items that do  not  have a nickname or logo that can be purchased now and will be available in the future will continue to sell....what I am saying is what kind of additional market do you create with a new name and logo? If you don't come up with a popular name and logo you end up like Marquette and 108 of your 120 top sellers in your bookstore are items that have no reference to your nickname or contain a logo......did they really create additional revenue by choosing a name that their Alumni and students to this day don't care for after 20 years?

Certainly helps!

What I am saying is "what will sell". The items that do  not  have a nickname or logo that can be purchased now and will be available in the future will continue to sell....what I am saying is what kind of additional market do you create with a new name and logo? If you don't come up with a popular name and logo you end up like Marquette and 108 of your 120 top sellers in your bookstore are items that have no reference to your nickname or contain a logo......did they really create additional revenue by choosing a name that their Alumni and students to this day don't care for after 20 years?

The current condition at Marquette gives me hope that we can ultimately decide for ourselves what not to accept.

Edited by obborg

What's wrong with a ND fighting hawk? It's an OFFICIAL logo that the athletic department and university can finally be associated with. The alternatives are no better.

If you like the name fighting Hawks, by all means vote for it. But voting for it because you think more people will buy t shirts is crazy logic to me.

If you like the name fighting Hawks, by all means vote for it. But voting for it because you think more people will buy t shirts is crazy logic to me.

Are you new here?:lol: If we knew which name/logo would sell the most merchandise, given the crap for choices remaining this might actually be the best reason to vote for any of them.

Most on here who are lobbying for choosing one of these crappy names over the others they consider to be crappier names were in the camp that said we can't be just North Dakota because the University needs the revenue to be gained from the branding and roll out of a new logo and name.

I am just pointing out that the merchandise that most alumni who graduated as Fighting Sioux purchase will not be any different than the merchandise they are currently buying.

As far as who the target audience would be for the newly branded name and logoed merchandise I am just pointing out that the target audience for those sales will be current and future students and if their overwhelming choice is Fighting Hawks then so be it. If they are as apathetic about the new name as most others are then it really doesn't matter.

No matter which name is chosen, The Fighting Sioux ain't   going anywhere for quite a while.

Edited by petey23

I corresponded today with Matt Kopp, student body president as I had seen an article in the Herald over the weekend (I think) where he indicated he voted for Fighting Hawks because he'd seen a cool logo(s) floated around social media.  I mentioned that the best one i had seen was not going to be available as the rights were held by the Blackhawks.  We all know which one that was.  he said he would agree that he wouldn't want anyone to vote for a nickname just due to the logo if the logo wasn't available.  He'd seen a few logos so wasn't sure which one I was referring to.     Sent him a link to an image on the internet.  Maybe a little too late, but FWIW

Edited by dagies

One retired UND art professor has an animated drawing making the rounds on campus in which the Fighting Sioux logo morphs into a Fighting Hawks moniker. The 11-second video begins with the original logo that was designed by UND alumnus Bennett Brien, an enrolled member of the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa in North Dakota. The tail feathers on the headdress wind up as the tail on the hawk.

Has anyone seen the video? Have a link? 

Edited by Cratter

Kelly O'Keefe, a consultant who works for the Virginia Commonwealth University's brand center and was hired by UND to help select the new logo, did not return repeated phone messages left by The Associated Press.

http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/celebrities/article42129801.html

How convenient.

Edited by choyt3
jacked up formatting

Some insight into the whole Fighting Hawks rationale, FWIW.

http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/celebrities/article42129801.html

So the Fighting Hawks crowd is using some good old fashioned false advertising to get people to vote for their choice? Nice, really nice. Play to people's emotions over losing the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo and promote an image that will most certainly not serve as the logo for the Fighting Hawks. This makes it look even more like Fighting Hawks was the "fair-haired boy" of UND's Administration and the reason why Nodaks was allowed to advance despite finishing 3rd.

• Upvote 1

So the Fighting Hawks crowd is using some good old fashioned false advertising to get people to vote for their choice? Nice, really nice. Play to people's emotions over losing the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo and promote an image that will most certainly not serve as the logo for the Fighting Hawks. This makes it look even more like Fighting Hawks was the "fair-haired boy" of UND's Administration and the reason why Nodaks was allowed to advance despite finishing 3rd.

Do you own stock in tinfoil companies or just a customer?

• Upvote 1

The only ones I've seen have been the Chicago Blackhawks logo transforming into the hawk logo we've all seen. The "logo by a und student" is the same logo with the feathers colored differently. Nice of the guy to write up that article though. 

Edited by UNDBIZ
Wrong Kolpack

Do you own stock in tinfoil companies or just a customer?

Please tell me where I am wrong in thinking this? It all makes sense. Why else would President Kelley allow three names to advance when the rules clearly said only two names would advance? And that whole 112 vote margin excuse was just that....an excuse, a cover story. The only reason we are having a third vote (if needed) is that people voiced their outrage and there was too much of it to ignore. Please share with us what you think really happened if I am so wrong; you seem to think you have all the answers to everything anyway.

• Upvote 1