SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Hawks 100% illogical & 0% unique

yababy8

Got my email this morning. Will be voting Fighting Hawks again. Not that I am in  love with it, but it is the lesser of 3 evils and as I have said before not very likely that this will be a long term name for UND(none of the remaining will be). It is generic but has some good logo and mascot potential and is the only one of the 3 with any potential to garner any long term additional revenue for UND through apparel and merchandise sales which is good for UND and good for me and the company I work for.

If Nodaks or Roughriders are chosen you will get a lukewarm at best response from the current students which will feed down to the future students and young people in the area and across the state. I believe alum will continue to buy the same merchandise and apparel available to them now and slapping the new name on an item will not motivate someone who is a Fighting Sioux alumni to purchase an item with a name on it that has no meaning to them.

Don't like Roughriders as to me it is a "western" based name and a local high school already has the name and I have never liked the name to start with. That said, I could live with the name but would rather not.

Nodaks is terrible unless we are planning on going D3, moving Twamley to East Grand Forks and joining the MIAC.

• Upvote 1

Got my email this morning. Will be voting Fighting Hawks again. Not that I am in  love with it, but it is the lesser of 3 evils and as I have said before not very likely that this will be a long term name for UND(none of the remaining will be). It is generic but has some good logo and mascot potential and is the only one of the 3 with any potential to garner any long term additional revenue for UND through apparel and merchandise sales which is good for UND and good for me and the company I work for.

If Nodaks or Roughriders are chosen you will get a lukewarm at best response from the current students which will feed down to the future students and young people in the area and across the state. I believe alum will continue to buy the same merchandise and apparel available to them now and slapping the new name on an item will not motivate someone who is a Fighting Sioux alumni to purchase an item with a name on it that has no meaning to them.

Don't like Roughriders as to me it is a "western" based name and a local high school already has the name and I have never liked the name to start with. That said, I could live with the name but would rather not.

Nodaks is terrible unless we are planning on going D3, moving Twamley to East Grand Forks and joining the MIAC.

No one outside of GF will know or give a crap that a local high school is RR. With that said, anything but Hawks #43.

• Upvote 2

im pretty sure that a large majority of the 400 collegiate teams named _____ hawks are d2, d3, or naia...

zero teams named nodaks or roughriders

just saying

So you want to one up Dickinson St with their Blue Hawks?  Wouldn't even be the second university in the state with that NAIA name.

It has the most logo potential, IMO. The logo makes or breaks this. If a top-notch, unique logo is produced, it will go over more smoothly. 

Plus, it is representative of the state, again, IMO.

I'm voting Fighting Hawks.

so said the last 50 schools that adopted a bird as a mascot and logo....someone load the ______ hawk gif please!

• Upvote 2

It has the most logo potential, IMO. The logo makes or breaks this. If a top-notch, unique logo is produced, it will go over more smoothly. 

Plus, it is representative of the state, again, IMO.

I'm voting Fighting Hawks.

When this process started, a nickname and logo that were uniquely North Dakota were promised.

Placing Fighting Hawks on the ballot makes that promise a lie.

• Upvote 1

Hate to state the obvious, but the name that is chosen between these 3 will be the name that UND will be known as. They are not going to repeat this process again because people refuse to transition, or are to stubborn to accept change.  Hate the names, hate the process, hate the reason we are going through this whole process, but this name is going to be the name for a very long time. That is why everyone that votes must really look at all 3 names and decide on a name that is best for UND.

I disagree. 10 years tops

The logo makes or breaks this.

And if Hawks or Riders wins we are all at the mercy of an already untrusted leadership to somehow produce a logo that's good enough to elevate a mediocre nickname to greatness.

Nodaks, on the other hand already has a built-in logo, the interlocked ND.

And if Hawks or Riders wins we are all at the mercy of an already untrusted leadership to somehow produce a logo that's good enough to elevate a mediocre nickname to greatness.

That's too conservative for me.

Yes, that interlocking ND logo already is in place, but why not look to improve UND's marketing situation, rather than be complacent and accept what's already in place. I for one am curious to see what could be produced to further expand UND athletics branding. If done correctly, a unique hawk logo could gain support. I'd buy apparel sporting a new unique UND hawk logo. Why not? 

Which we already use and it adds no additional revenue stream to UND and actually could take away from it. If you have the interlocking ND, UND, or The University of North Dakota myself and many alumni already buy and would continue to buy those items....if you add in Nodaks=no sale.

I don't like any of the names but voted for Hawks as that is the only name with a chance of having UND benefit from branded Apparel and Merchandise sales on an ongoing basis. Alum aren't likely to by any of the 3 remaining names on apparel but will continue to buy UND gear while I think students will buy Hawk apparel but would purchase very little of Nodak or RR apparel.

• Upvote 1

Nope.  The Nodak mascot would be some rube, hick or yokel scratching his fat belly with a grin showing off his one remaining tooth. 

Won't that be awesome....