SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Hawks 100% illogical & 0% unique

yababy8

Voting starts tomorrow. This needs to be said:

The idea of North Dakota adopting the official nickname "Fighting Hawks" is both completely illogical and totally and absolutely in every way not unique or representative to our region, state, or school.

Hawks don't fight:  While I do concede that I am not an expert in ornithology, I'm pretty sure the idea of hawks fighting is completely nonsensical.  Hawks soar, hawks prey, hawks hunt and they probably do some other things to kill time but they don't fight.   Do we really want to have the official name of our school be something that doesn't even make sense?

Hawks isn't original at all:   Somewhere on this forum there are stats on how many schools who have had to change their native American nicknames opted to go with Hawks as a nickname and the number is astounding!  Look it up.

Make no mistake about it, Changing our name to Fighting Hawks is actually changing our name to Hawks.  Fighting can be put in front of any name and by the way of the three names up for vote it fits Hawks the least by a million miles.  Fighting Roughriders- 0k, Fighting-Nodaks-I like how this sounds, Fighting Hawks-Huh?? really??  ...hey look at those hawks fight!  They are very impressive fighters those hawks..

The fact that Hawks got Fighting included in it as a nickname option is almost a little suspicious? One could argue that putting 'fighting' with hawks was a ploy to manipulate people into being drawn to a generic name by including fighting in the name making it feel similar to "fighting Sioux'?  I'm just saying.

Please tell everyone you can these reasons to NOT vote for Hawks.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The idea of North Dakota adopting the official nickname "Fighting Hawks" is both completely illogical and totally and absolutely in every way not unique or representative to our region, state, or school.

Hawks don't fight:  While I do concede that I am not an expert in ornithology, I'm pretty sure the idea of hawks fighting is completely nonsensical.  Hawks soar, hawks prey, hawks hunt and they probably do some other things to kill time but they don't fight.   Do we really want to have the official name of our school be something that doesn't even make sense?

Hawks isn't original at all:   Somewhere on this forum there are stats on how many schools who have had to change their native American nicknames opted to go with Hawks as a nickname and the number is astounding!  Look it up.

Make no mistake about it, Changing our name to Fighting Hawks is actually changing our name to Hawks.  Fighting can be put in front of any name and by the way of the three names up for vote it fits Hawks the least by a million miles.  Fighting Roughriders- 0k, Fighting-Nodaks-I like how this sounds, Fighting Hawks-Huh?? really??  ...hey look at those hawks fight!  They are very impressive fighters those hawks..

The fact that Hawks got Fighting included in it as a nickname option is almost a little suspicious? One could argue that putting 'fighting' with hawks was a ploy to manipulate people into being drawn to a generic name by including fighting in the name making it feel similar to "fighting Sioux'?  I'm just saying.

100% agreed that Kelly and his wife will shorten it to hawks so people/students don't yell Sioux after fighting at events...

University of North Dakota Hawks?

University of North Dakota Nodaks?

University of North Dakota Roughriders...

vote

Google Fighting Hawks in images 

Yes, I have seen the images you have posted on this forum and they do look good. But do you really think the suits in Twamley Hall will adopt anything other than a cartoonish, milk-toast logo that is very hard to get excited about? That is why Fighting Hawks is not a good choice for us.

• Upvote 1

and if they do fight, they fight each other.  Not so team oriented...

Fighting only works as a superlative connotation if it refers to people nicknames or maybe animals who group in packs and fight others...

i see what you're saying.  But, in this context, it would be the UND teams aka Hawks, fighting as a group....   Nodaks don't traditionally group in packs and fight others, either.

:)  

I know it's too late,but how about the North Dakota Disaster??..Seems like that's what this nickname insanity is.....Well,sort of....Hey,come to think of it...North Dakota Hicks would suit the whole thing just fine..very appropriate...plenty of drunken Hicks in the state...Some of them watch UND hockey...Including myself...Yep

• Downvote 2

Great post!  You said everything that I have been feeling, thank you!  Go Nodaks.