SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

People need to realize that the colorful logo that was going around facebook earlier will not be the official logo. That being said, can they do a mock-up now for the last three? Logos/mascots (if they have one) will help a great deal. My choice is still alive, though by the original rules it shouldn't be.

I don't think they should do mock-ups....that can't be a rush job. A lot of time and effort should be put into that process, too. IMHO.

• Upvote 1

Exactly.. this was never in jeopardy of receiving any kind of mandate.  We knew that yesterday, last week, last month, last year. Even if UND would have come out with two remaining options today.... it would have been considered tainted by many.

This makes it tainted by almost all now.

• Upvote 1

It is really hard to believe that anybody is trying to rig the vote by adding a third choice.  I'm sure the conversation was:  there is no statistical difference between 2 and 3 so let's include both.  Not - I bet we can swing the final vote to __________  if we include three options.

I guess this kills the talk that the fix was in for North Stars.

• Upvote 4

Can anyone honestly say that knowing ahead of time that there could be a third candidate in the event of a statistical dead heat between 2nd and 3rd place would have changed their vote or changed their view of the process?

If not, please give it a rest about "rules" and "integrity".  You sound ridiculous.

Also - this isn't the US Constitution that was amended.  It was someones plan for a runoff for a new nickname.

• Upvote 1

I don't think they should do mock-ups....that can't be a rush job. A lot of time and effort should be put into that process, too. IMHO.

I agree regarding a rush job. But they've known the final 5 for some time. there could easily have been something created since that time. They've spent enough money in this fiasco on things that made way less sense. 

I agree regarding a rush job. But they've known the final 5 for some time. there could easily have been something created since that time. They've spent enough money in this fiasco on things that made way less sense. 

Probably because people would think it'd be a way to "sway" the vote. Crappy logo vs crappy logo vs good logo?

Can anyone honestly say that knowing ahead of time that there could be a third candidate in the event of a statistical dead heat between 2nd and 3rd place would have changed their vote or changed their view of the process?

If not, please give it a rest about "rules" and "integrity".  You sound ridiculous.

Would it have changed my first vote? No

Would it change my next vote that will decide the nickname? Yup

• Upvote 3

Good points but I don't think this is the only thing they do in their day jobs, though, it may seem that way to us sometimes. ;)

• Upvote 1

you're missing the point.   20% more voters would need to change their vote to one of the top two if the rules and integrity of the process was followed.  now, they don't. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

He isn't wrong.......we were sold a pile of crap in the Kelley lead Sh*t Show. "We will have a run off of the top two......no wait.....three choices".

The Supreme Court has ruled the written word means nothing, liberal intent is all that matters. Nothing to see here.

The Supreme Court has ruled the written word means nothing, liberal intent is all that matters. Nothing to see here.

Yeah, that damn Kelley just couldn't stand seeing his favored "Nodaks" left off the list.  Damn you, Kelley! Damn you all to H-E_ double hockey sticks! :D

Edited by Teeder11

A lot of people, especially people on this board, have Nodaks and RR number one and two and would have switched to the other one left.

I'd have voted for Nodaks vs Fighting Hawks and by the polls here a lot of people would have too. 

Now I doubt any name will ever have over half the vote.

very well put...i would have voted nodaks v fh if those were the final two...

But everybody gets to vote again. Nobody is harmed.

true, but  after the second round, people will claim their choice lost because nodaks voters would've switched to FH if they're a FH supporter, or RR if they're a RR supporter.  it will leave more people frustrated than if the rules would've been followed IMO.

• Upvote 2

I agree that the rules should not have been changed to allow three choices in the run-off and believe it could have an effect on the final outcome of the vote.  I have not been shy about my feelings against Nodaks so there is undoubtedly some bias in this statement but... If you want to 'stick it to the man' and uphold the "integrity" of the previously laid-out rules of the "process" there's a simple solution:

Vote for your favorite between 1) Roughriders or 2) Fighting Hawks (ignoring the Nodaks option completely).  There we go!  Problem solved.  I'll show myself the door... that's enough internet trolling for one night.  :D

Edited by Speed_Kills

Well, speaking as a student, I've tried (Stress "tried") speaking with fellow students, and honestly I can't seem to derail their fascination with Fighting Hawks. From what I gather that they couldn't care less that it's not unique and a s***t load of schools have bird mascots, but I genuinely couldn't tell you why they're voting Fighting Hawks. Beats me. So while I wont be voting for FH, I'd say get used to the sound of University of North Dakota Fighting Bland Awful Hawks.  (Please God let me wrong)

So now a majority isn't needed to become the final nickname. Can't say I'm surprised with this, just disappointed. 

This is the point all the "legal experts" here are missing......UND is going to settle on a new nickname WITHOUT that nickname even getting 50% of any vote.

• Upvote 3