SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

Fighting Hawks has been the leader with UND students since the no nickname option was removed. Based on the number of votes in total I would bet that most of the Hawks votes came from students.

Maybe Nodaks was left in to stop the usual group from complaining that they were ignored.

Or they wanted three to divvy up enough votes between nodaks and rr that Hawks will pull away 

exactly what i'm thinking. take away nodaks and i'm guessing roughriders wins (or vice versa if it had come to that) but i doubt many nodaks or roughriders people change their votes which clears the way for a hawks victory

Kelley never ceases to amaze.   stick to the original plan, please!  even if the one I voted for would be eliminated, keep the process honest!   given the percentages, there probably won't be any name receiving 50% after this second vote.    get ready for round 3.  WTF.

exactly!!!! this could on forever

• Upvote 1

I had posted earlier regarding the likely low voter turnout and it was pathetic, at less than 25000.  That is how Fighting Hawks made the top, and any of the five would not have surprised me.  To change the rules midstream does not surprise me as well, although the closeness of the 2 vs. 3 makes it hard for them to not go with three, especially since Nodaks was the 3rd.

The voting guidelines previously communicated by the University provided that any name receiving over 50 percent of votes would be determined to be the University’s new nickname, and that otherwise a runoff vote would be held to allow eligible voters to choose between the two top vote-getters.  

However, as the number of votes for the second- and third-highest vote-getters, Roughriders and Nodaks, differed by only 116 votes, UND President Robert Kelley has determined that both of these names should remain on the runoff ballot along with Fighting Hawks.

Said President Kelley, “We appreciate the participation and input of the voters, and are pleased that we have moved forward to three final choices.  We look forward to completing the last important step of this process through the runoff vote.”

He added, “We were also pleased at the number of eligible voters who participated in this process—over 22,000.  This is the largest response UND has ever received for an institution-wide online poll.” 

The runoff vote will be conducted through Qualtrics, the third party online voting platform provider that managed the preliminary nickname vote.  The runoff voting period will open at noon Central Time on Monday, Nov. 2, and will close at 11:59 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 6. The University anticipates having the results of the vote by early the week of Nov. 9.  The name receiving the most votes will be the new nickname for UND.  

I had posted earlier regarding the likely low voter turnout and it was pathetic, at less than 25000.  That is how Fighting Hawks made the top, and any of the five would not have surprised me.  To change the rules midstream does not surprise me as well, although the closeness of the 2 vs. 3 makes it hard for them to not go with three, especially since Nodaks was the 3rd.

spoken like someone who would award participation awards for the top six teams in a six team tournament....

Edited by SIOUXFAN97
  • Upvote 2

spoken like someone who would award participation awards for the top six teams in a six team tournament....

My point was the lack of participation and the closeness of the 2 vs. 3 vote and I was predicting why Kelley did that.  Please look at the just added justification and see that I am right in my prediction.  I do not want participation, just a real majority vote to win.  Please stop degrading people, especially if they are right in their prediction.