SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Vs FCS Football

Cratter

I don't understand this argument and I never have. The discussion is about which brings more exposure and is considered more prestigious. Not which pipeline sends more "stars" to their respective professional league.

I think it could be argued, quite well, that the exposure a school gets from playing in the FCS playoffs is higher than what that same school garners from a run to the national title in NCAA hockey.

We could go round and round all day, but if we look at the TV ratings and exposure, I think you'll find that the two are pretty well even, with FCS football coming out slightly ahead.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/01/unc-louisville-ratings-espn-basketball-epl-nbcsn-most-watched-fcs-college-football-championship-espn/

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015/4/15/8384553/2015-frozen-four-tv-ratings-providence-boston-university-jack-eichel

Saying you "don't understand" means that you don't agree and/or like the fact that it is true. Jonathan Toews is a household name throughout the country who has billboards with his name and likeness throughout Chicago and the country, Michael Jordan wore his jersey on national TV, and he earns more than all of the NDSU players combined. That exposure is much more than any JV title. I have a problem with FCS, which is just a way for small schools to win a title and still call it D1 with an asterick. Other than this area, no one knows or cares about NDSU and its 4 titles. If you think I'm wrong, ask anyone if they knew that Marshall and Appalacian State won 3 straight titles or if they cared. Most people would prefer to follow the FBS teams. If you take it to its logical extreme, who knew or cared that Mankato won a D2 title in football?

Saying you "don't understand" means that you don't agree and/or like the fact that it is true. Jonathan Toews is a household name throughout the country who has billboards with his name and likeness throughout Chicago and the country, Michael Jordan wore his jersey on national TV, and he earns more than all of the NDSU players combined. That exposure is much more than any JV title. I have a problem with FCS, which is just a way for small schools to win a title and still call it D1 with an asterick. Other than this area, no one knows or cares about NDSU and its 4 titles. If you think I'm wrong, ask anyone if they knew that Marshall and Appalacian State won 3 straight titles or if they cared. Most people would prefer to follow the FBS teams. If you take it to its logical extreme, who knew or cared that Mankato won a D2 title in football?

Wow, that's great perspective.  I've never really looked at it like that before.  Thanks for the insight.  

Signed, 

Nobody  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The funny thing that UND's most famous athlete wasn't a DI hockey player. He was a DII basketball player.

In any case, do you honestly doubt that NDSU has received more media attention over the last five years as a direct result of its football team than UND has received from its hockey team? With 4, working on 5, FCS titles, and 2 ESPN Game Day appearances, I don't think it's really very close. Add in NDSU's MBB tournament appearances and it's a complete blowout.

• Upvote 2

Every argument you make against FCS football could be turned 180 degrees back on college hockey. The average sports fan couldn't name the NCAA hockey champ from last year or any year for that matter.

The point is, they are both "secondary" sports to FBS football and NCAA basketball. In that way, I see them as on equal footing in the minds of sports fans across the country.

Otherwise how do you account for the fact that more people watch the FCS playoffs than watch the Frozen Four?

The funny thing that UND's most famous athlete wasn't a DI hockey player. He was a DII basketball player.

In any case, do you honestly doubt that NDSU has received more media attention over the last five years as a direct result of its football team than UND has received from its hockey team? With 4, working on 5, FCS titles, and 2 ESPN Game Day appearances, I don't think it's really very close. Add in NDSU's MBB tournament appearances and it's a complete blowout.

Don't need your help.  We're policing our own just fine. 

This is ridiculous.  Other than Toews and Parise, none of the players you listed is a household name outside of Grand Forks.  To the average sports fan Marcus Williams and John Crockett are every bit as famous any of the other players you listed.  Even Toews and Parise's popularity pales in comparison to FCS products like Tony Romo (Eastern Illinois) and Randy Moss (Marshall).

Edited by dlsiouxfan

To be clear. I am not the one calling it a JV title.

I said I would be thrilled if we won an FCS title just as I was when we won a D2 title......but anyone comparing the quality of athlete in D1 hockey vs. FBS football is delusional.

Both are similar.  The number of schools that play college hockey is not that large.  It is the top tier of college hockey but most of the US doesn't care about hockey.   FCS football is not the top tier of college football but there are a lot more people in the US that follow college football so it is a wash in my opinion. 

Not many people in the US could name the FCS national champion or the college hockey national champion.   Most don't even know Union College exists.  Hell - I even had to look up their nickname (Dutchman) and I was at the Frozen Four when they won it.

Every argument you make against FCS football could be turned 180 degrees back on college hockey. The average sports fan couldn't name the NCAA hockey champ from last year or any year for that matter.

The point is, they are both "secondary" sports to FBS football and NCAA basketball. In that way, I see them as on equal footing in the minds of sports fans across the country.

Otherwise how do you account for the fact that more people watch the FCS playoffs than watch the Frozen Four?

Jerry Rice Randy Moss Walter Payton 

.... Was 100% true.

Technically it was true. But disingenuous at worst, ill-informed at best.

unless

8%=33%

But since you went back 40 years in another post to come up with 3 NFL stars from FCS, for the sake of argument lets pretend that FCS and College Hockey advanced the same number of players to the professional ranks even though the numbers are not even remotely close. Which caliber of play is going to be higher?

A. The sport with X number of players spread out over 125 teams

B. The sport with X number of players spread out over 60-65 teams

Edited by petey23
additional info.

Technically it was true. But disingenuous at worst, ill-informed at best.

unless

8%=33%

But since you went back 40 years in another post to come up with 3 NFL stars from FCS, for the sake of argument lets pretend that FCS and College Hockey advanced the same number of players to the professional ranks even though the numbers are not even remotely close. Which caliber of play is going to be higher?

A. The sport with X number of players spread out over 125 teams

B. The sport with X number of players spread out over 60-65 teams

1.1 million HS participants in football last year in the US. 45 thousand HS participants in hockey in the US. I wonder which one is more popular?

1.1 million HS participants in football last year in the US. 45 thousand HS participants in hockey in the US. I wonder which one is more popular?

First off, I think this is a stupid argument, and the FCS and NCAA hockey are generally comparable.  They are both fun to watch and have similar cult followings.

I would point out that hockey is more popular internationally.  There is a significant amount of Canadian, European, and Russian athletes that care a lot about hockey, many of which play NCAA.  World wide, how many high school aged kids play hockey vs football (serious question)?

Also, why isn't football in the olympics?  Because only the United States cares about it.

Edited by nodak651
  • Upvote 1

First off, I think this is a stupid argument, and the FCS and NCAA hockey are generally comparable.  They are both fun to watch and have similar cult followings.

I would point out that hockey is more popular internationally.  There is a significant amount of Canadian, European, and Russian athletes that care a lot about hockey, many of which play NCAA.  World wide, how many high school aged kids play hockey vs football (serious question)?

Also, why isn't football in the olympics?  Because only the United States cares about it.

I tried to find international numbers but there isn't a system like we have for US HS.