Nickname Vote: Exit Poll  

241 members have voted

1. 1. What name did you vote for?

• Fighting Hawks
    • North Stars
    • Sundogs
    • Nodaks
    • Roughriders

Maybe the University wants to announce the results during normal hours, rather than having some computer generated announcement in the middle of the night on Friday night, when almost no one is paying attention. A presidential election is a little more important and relevant to a lot more people, so people and the news services are actually working those late hours to get the results out to the public. Not a lot of news is reported between 5 pm on Friday and Monday morning, in large part because not a lot of people are paying attention to the news.

If you were on Twitter last night, there were a lot of people paying attention, with interest. 

If you were on Twitter last night, there were a lot of people paying attention, with interest. 

What do you call a lot? Compared to 82,000 eligible voters? Compared to 700,000+ residents in North Dakota? Was the number of people interested in the topic on Twitter in the thousands? I have a hard time believing that there were a huge number of people waiting up after midnight on a Friday night wondering about the results of the UND nickname vote. Sometimes I think people overreact to what may actually be a limited number of tweets on a subject. Besides, they said before the vote started that they weren't going to announce the results until next week.

• Downvote 1

this nodak crap is already hurting our brand...we are known as either university of north dakota, north dakota, or und...this nodak crap is already hurting our national branding...nodak on the power play, nodak is with the goal, or nodak will be shorthanded...total crap....

Nodaks with the #sweep! (How many people on here even get what hashtags are? Am I fighting a losing battle? or....?)

Based on work in corporate America I would not be surprised if the announcement on Monday is to let everyone know when the announcement will be. It's much more than just announcing the results, especially since it's a totally different message if there was a 50% majority vs the two top names. There is so much more to this then Kelly walking up to a podium opening an envelope and saying "The winner is..." Once again on social media they will be damned if they do and damned if they don't. 

Based on work in corporate America I would not be surprised if the announcement on Monday is to let everyone know when the announcement will be. It's much more than just announcing the results, especially since it's a totally different message if there was a 50% majority vs the two top names. There is so much more to this then Kelly walking up to a podium opening an envelope and saying "The winner is..." Once again on social media they will be damned if they do and damned if they don't. 

Well they just announced a 3 team runoff via email and social media :)

I think the hypothesis is that people on this site are far more aware than the general public of Nodaks' late push so Nodak would have risen more here than in the general public. We certainly saw posts in this thread where people said Nodaks wasn't their favorite, but they voted for it so as not to throw away their vote.

I'm among those who wonder if the actual result could be noticeably different from this poll, particularly in the "bottom 3" which received almost no votes here showing more strength (again, because people here gravitated toward the perceived winners). It'll be interesting to see what the final result is.

Well some one's on the inside :)