SiouxSports.com Forum

University of north dakota fighting nodaks

fightingsioux08

I hope they reach out to him and others. There are a ton of great UND alumni artists out there, more than capable of turning the new nickname (whatever it may be) into something special. I don't mean this to diminish Mr. Brien at all. In the opinion of a lot of people, he created one of, it not the, most beautiful and cool sports logo around. His background helped me put more meaning and intricate detail into said logo though. We may be get lucky twice and he can create a new logo similarly as awesome as his old one, or we may get lucky another way and someone inspired by the new logo will use their unique perspective to create an awesome logo. So yes, I hope that regardless of the selection they contact Mr. Brien, but I also hope they contact a number of other qualified UND art grads, students, stakeholders to create an option as well. 

That being said, I'm sure we will shell out another $300K to some ultra-PC media company to commission a somewhat brain-dead, safe logo. 

But you are basically asking him to define what a Nodak would be in that case.  He knew what a portrait of a Sioux would be,  but to throw him to the wolves with no sense of direction seems like it is putting it all on him. 

I'm guessing the folks at the Ralph are pulling for Nodaks.  Anyone know for sure?

Definitely not.  The harmonic vibrations of visiting fans constantly mocking UND for its nickname choice would compromise the structural integrity of the building.

Besides, the influx of "No-Dicks" would render hundreds of urinals useless and require substantial renovations to provide for additional women's rest rooms.

(Getting harder to tell where the sarcasm starts and stops.)

• Upvote 1

Definitely not.  The harmonic vibrations of visiting fans constantly mocking UND for its nickname choice would compromise the structural integrity of the building.

Besides, the influx of "No-Dicks" would render hundreds of urinals useless and require substantial renovations to provide for additional women's rest rooms.

(Getting harder to tell where the sarcasm starts and stops.)

+1

• Downvote 1

Why not just give a full ride scholarship to a student who creates the best logo for the new nickname.  Let students and sports teams vote on the logo.  

This is often a suggestion but the reality is it's a no win situation. If you don't get something you like you are stuck picking one (sound familiar) Also it's considered "cheap" because companies do it to avoid paying professional designers. This is too important to not go with professionals (IMO).  

This is often a suggestion but the reality is it's a no win situation. If you don't get something you like you are stuck picking one (sound familiar) Also it's considered "cheap" because companies do it to avoid paying professional designers. This is too important to not go with professionals (IMO).  

If Nodaks is selected and we hire a professional firm, I get the feeling we'll end up with a hawk logo.....:blink:

• Upvote 1

It sounds like some people are concerned what the logo would end up being if Nodaks is chosen.  Then I thought maybe they could still use a logo depicting a roughrider to make two groups of voters happy....  but, then I came to my senses and remembered the roughriders were never in north Dakota and have nothing to do with the state.   so darn it, I guess that won't work. 

• Upvote 1

I do have to laugh at the students chanting "Sioux Forever", when some have never been on campus when it was the nickname.  

I love it. Traditions can be passed down. I laugh at those who think Sioux and/or Fighting Sioux will disappear anytime in the next 20-30 years.

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ locked this topic