SiouxSports.com Forum

University of north dakota fighting nodaks

fightingsioux08

Who ever  says "University of North Dakota Nodaks" ?  Just call them the Nodaks...or UND.

They'll have to think it through I guess.  I can say it pretty easily.

Your original question is who would say it. It's the name of the team, so everyone. If you have to think it through, you should probably just stop and move on.. And yes, anyone can say it pretty easily, that doesn't make it sound any less ridiculous.

How can any of you believe that if Nodaks wins that the logo will be a bib wearing hik?! Nice scare tactic!

Go Fighting Nodaks!

That's the reality. That's what most people think, especially outside of ND - That ND is a hick state with nothing but farmers. If you want to facilitate that stereotype by choosing NoDak as the face of your states flagship institution then by all means, vote for it.

Most of the people voting Nodaks are either part of the Fighting Sioux Hardliner Club or don't like any of the other choices and thus want to protest somehow. Of course, some of the Fighting Sioux Hardliners will vote Fighting Hawks because of the "Fighting" and some will boycott the vote entirely. I still think Roughriders and Fighting Hawks will finish 1 and 2 and will advance to the run-off.

• Upvote 1

Your original question is who would say it. It's the name of the team, so everyone. If you have to think it through, you should probably just stop and move on.. And yes, anyone can say it pretty easily, that doesn't make it sound any less ridiculous.

Calm down bud.  It's a tough day for everyone.

Most of the people voting Nodaks are either part of the Fighting Sioux Hardliner Club or don't like any of the other choices and thus want to protest somehow. Of course, some of the Fighting Sioux Hardliners will vote Fighting Hawks because of the "Fighting" and some will boycott the vote entirely. I still think Roughriders and Fighting Hawks will finish 1 and 2 and will advance to the run-off.

Voting due to the "Fighting" is dumb. Alot of University Athletics will add Fighting as a un-official name. Such as Air Force Fighting Falcons, their true nickname is the Falcons.

That is also how Fighting Sioux was converted from Sioux in a couple of books that I have read on the history of UND. It's seems to be a way to add grittyness to a team to make them sound tough.

I'd have to say Canuks sounds terrible (always felt it to be one of the worst nicknames in sports), but it rolls with Vancouver better than Nodaks does with University of North Dakota.  But that's just my opinion ;)

I don't think you can just expect the formalized version of the name to not be used.  As mentioned above, it's going to be written on everything, used by national media, etc., and can't just be ignored.

On a side note; I'll probably always say Sioux until the end of time, so I totally agree with you there!

**edit - above was in reply to siouxfan512, but I seem to have goofed the quote**

Edited by siouxforcefans
clarity

That's the reality. That's what most people think, especially outside of ND - That ND is a hick state with nothing but farmers. If you want to facilitate that stereotype by choosing NoDak as the face of your states flagship institution then by all means, vote for it.

You got me, I guess if RR's won all that "stereotyping" would go away? Lol...come on, you people have to stop acting like you're talking to children!

If I were UND and NoDaks is picked I would hope they would reach out to Bennet Brien to help in the creation 

of the new logo. This is guy is amazing and is very good at what he does. It would also help with bringing people

together to get behind the new name while acknowledging the past. Of course, this might make too much sense

for the UND administration... :/

I believe it will come down to Roughriders and Nodaks.  Nodaks is the only name left that has had any kind of "organized movement."  Having Brad Berry and the hockey teams come out in favor of it, will definitely give it steam.  IF Nodaks does win, I would hope that they would add Fighting to it.  Without the fighting, it's lame.  With the "fighting" it's tolerable.

• Upvote 2

I could really get behind any nickname on the ballot but that one.

South Dakota SoDaks, Montana Mounties(?), Minnesota Minnesotans, Michigan Michiganians), Mississippi Missi's, Nebraska Nebs, Vermont Vermin, BORED, New York Yorkies, Arizona Zonies, AT, Nevada Nevadites, California Callies, WORK, Maine Man, North Carolina NoCars, South Carolina SoCars..... And so on and so forth...

IF each state school had to be a shortened version of the state's name, then by all means let's be the Nodaks.... But we don't have to... For the love of god let's not be the Nodaks..

South Dakota SoDaks, Montana Mounties(?), Minnesota Minnesotans, Michigan Michiganians), Mississippi Missi's, Nebraska Nebs, Vermont Vermin, BORED, New York Yorkies, Arizona Zonies, AT, Nevada Nevadites, California Callies, WORK, Maine Man, North Carolina NoCars, South Carolina SoCars..... And so on and so forth...

IF each state school had to be a shortened version of the state's name, then by all means let's be the Nodaks.... But we don't have to... For the love of god let's not be the Nodaks..

I'm not sold on your reasoning. Go Fighting Nodaks!

Wait...what????!!!!!

What is wr..........never mind!

You got me, I guess if RR's won all that "stereotyping" would go away? Lol...come on, you people have to stop acting like you're talking to children!

Talking to children? Not sure what thats suppose to mean, settle down Francis. Just expressing that any of the other names, including the dreaded Sundogs, give more of an opportunity to shape an image other than ND as a hick farm state. I'm proud to be from ND, but sorry that's what most people think when they think of ND. 

If I were UND and NoDaks is picked I would hope they would reach out to Bennet Brien to help in the creation 

of the new logo. This is guy is amazing and is very good at what he does. It would also help with bringing people

together to get behind the new name while acknowledging the past. Of course, this might make too much sense

for the UND administration... :/

I hope they reach out to him and others. There are a ton of great UND alumni artists out there, more than capable of turning the new nickname (whatever it may be) into something special. I don't mean this to diminish Mr. Brien at all. In the opinion of a lot of people, he created one of, it not the, most beautiful and cool sports logo around. His background helped me put more meaning and intricate detail into said logo though. We may be get lucky twice and he can create a new logo similarly as awesome as his old one, or we may get lucky another way and someone inspired by the new logo will use their unique perspective to create an awesome logo. So yes, I hope that regardless of the selection they contact Mr. Brien, but I also hope they contact a number of other qualified UND art grads, students, stakeholders to create an option as well. 

That being said, I'm sure we will shell out another $300K to some ultra-PC media company to commission a somewhat brain-dead, safe logo. 

• Upvote 1

Why do some of you seem to think if Nodaks wins that "Fighting" could be added to it?  I would think that the name would have to stay the same as it was stated on the ballot...Otherwise the integrity of the vote process would be questioned. (As if it isn't already)

If there is a rif between hockey (players, coaches, fans) and other sports, that rif is certainly being promoted here. Don't understand, as fans, throwing the hockey program under the bus. Or any other sport for that matter.

I voted for Hawks, but may change my mind in the final two voting. Since I've already been told I voted for Hawks because of the "Fighting" in front of it, I won't argue otherwise. Guess I must be in the hockey only group, at least in here.

Edited by sprig
  • Upvote 2

Why do some of you seem to think if Nodaks wins that "Fighting" could be added to it?  I would think that the name would have to stay the same as it was stated on the ballot...Otherwise the integrity of the vote process would be questioned. (As if it isn't already)

Its been stated that it could be added to any name, or taken away.

Because that's how it works. Unlike some of the constant complainers on here, nicknames evolve.

The recipe for adding an adjective to the root noun is simple:  the fans use it, the media adopts it, the PA announcers sprinkle it in, and before you know it, coaches and players find themselves using it.  A few shirt designs later, you are the de facto Adjective Nouns.  No vote needed.

(Oh, by the way, it's happened before.)

I hope they reach out to him and others. There are a ton of great UND alumni artists out there, more than capable of turning the new nickname (whatever it may be) into something special. I don't mean this to diminish Mr. Brien at all. In the opinion of a lot of people, he created one of, it not the, most beautiful and cool sports logo around. His background helped me put more meaning and intricate detail into said logo though. We may be get lucky twice and he can create a new logo similarly as awesome as his old one, or we may get lucky another way and someone inspired by the new logo will use their unique perspective to create an awesome logo. So yes, I hope that regardless of the selection they contact Mr. Brien, but I also hope they contact a number of other qualified UND art grads, students, stakeholders to create an option as well. 

That being said, I'm sure we will shell out another $300K to some ultra-PC media company to commission a somewhat brain-dead, safe logo. 

Why not just give a full ride scholarship to a student who creates the best logo for the new nickname.  Let students and sports teams vote on the logo.  

• UNDBIZ locked this topic