SiouxSports.com Forum

University of north dakota fighting nodaks

fightingsioux08

After seeing the students with their custom made nodaks jerseys and nodak flags it opened my eyes more to nodaks being a good name, as the current students should have a big say in the name, as does coach Berry.

However, even though I believe University of North Dakota nodaks sounds silly, I had a light go off in my head...

For weeks I have been getting more okay with the most common, unoriginal team name, hawks, because it had the word 'fighting' in front of it. It keeps some of the fighting sioux name history...and because it allows the fans to yell the word sioux over the word hawks everytime the announcers say it at the arena (which I believe would happen forever)

This has lead me to wish that we could become the university of north dakota fighting nodaks!

Unfortunately that was never submitted in the nickname process  (I am a bit slow with my idea:p), but I really wish it was because it combines the best option with two of our final five nickname choices AND also partially satisfies the pro fighting sioux nickname belief and the just north dakota nickname belief.

Fans would have the option to yell sioux everytime that the ralph pa announcers says "...and here comes your university of north dakota fighting nodaks"....and some will yell that forever, but maybe some would quit and enjoy our new unique name

I made this a post because if nodaks (or honestly any of the 5 names) wins I am going to start calling und the fighting nodaks and I hope you do too:)

• Upvote 4

Really starting to seem like Nodaks is primed to spoil a couple election night celebrations.  (The RR party has been pre-planned for months now.)  I think all the UND insiders pushing Sundogs through this long process may have committed one fatal flaw.  After successfully striking down the no-nickname option they left too much time for supporters of that option to regroup (as Nodak supporters.)

I think if Nodaks comes down to the final two, they should have a logo drawn up, because if people are thinking it is going to just basically be North Dakota, and you end up having a figure like in Sicatoka's post, that is quite the eye opener.  To me if they choose Nodak's, and don't have a logo, your marketing is going to be terrible.  I do have to laugh at the students chanting "Sioux Forever", when some have never been on campus when it was the nickname.  

Edited by tnt

I think if Nodaks comes down to the final two, they should have a logo drawn up, because if people are thinking it is going to just basically be North Dakota, and you end up having a figure like in Sicatoka's post, that is quite the eye opener.  To me if they choose Nodak's, and don't have a logo, your marketing is going to be terrible.  I do have to laugh at the students chanting "Sioux Forever", when some have never been on campus when it was the nickname.  

How can any of you believe that if Nodaks wins that the logo will be a bib wearing hik?! Nice scare tactic!

Go Fighting Nodaks!

The Forum has it right. Remember this will be the face of UND, presented to the rest of the nation and the world.  

UND is much more than just a bunch of people born in ND, who have a hard time letting go and moving forward. I love the Sioux name but...

And there's a reason Notre Dame is not the University of Notre Dame Fighting NoDames

• Upvote 1

How can any of you believe that if Nodaks wins that the logo will be a bib wearing hik?! Nice scare tactic!

Go Fighting Nodaks!

I think when nobody has any concept at what is could be, it opens itself up to this interpretation.  The other options you have some idea about a logo at least.  

I only somewhat dislike Nodaks, but it comes down to this - please say each of the following out loud: Vancouver Canuks.  University of North Dakota Nodaks.  Hear the difference?

Who ever  says "University of North Dakota Nodaks" ?  Just call them the Nodaks...or UND.

Who ever  says "University of North Dakota Nodaks" ?  Just call them the Nodaks...or UND.

Well that would be the official name listed in all programs, print media, etc. Also, the public address announcer at the REA every time the team comes onto the ice.

It's funny that the argument is "Who would ever say the full name of the team?" Like no one ever says Alabama Crimson Tide, Oregon Ducks, Minnesota Gophers, etc.

I only somewhat dislike Nodaks, but it comes down to this - please say each of the following out loud: Vancouver Canuks.  University of North Dakota Nodaks.  Hear the difference?

I get you on that.    But I still think we can own it, and work with it.

As for logos, one of the interesting things about Nodaks is it opens up the possibilities of a logo.  If you pick an animal, you pretty much know what your logo is going to be.   Some version of that animal.  Some are good, some not so much.   With Nodaks, your logo could be the outline of the state of ND.   It could be a stalk of wheat, an oil derrick, a plow, a scythe, a censor bar!, or a combo of a few items that portray an image of ND. 

Edited by dagies
  • Upvote 2

Well that would be the official name listed in all programs, print media, etc. Also, the public address announcer at the REA every time the team comes onto the ice.

It's funny that the argument is "Who would ever say the full name of the team?" Like no one ever says Alabama Crimson Tide, Oregon Ducks, Minnesota Gophers, etc.

Minnesota Gophers sounds ridiculous.  They usually say "Minnesota Golden Gophers."....

Could you imagine if the University of Minnesota was attempting to come up with a new nickname in a case where they had another nickname before,(say hypothetically they were the Minnesota Vikings) and Minnesota Gophers was suggested as a new name?  Oh my, people would be losing it...

I bet the forum could do some satire with that one right there don't ya know?

...there are a lot of nicknames out there but there are a lot less nicknames which are really great names.

I'll stick with the Fighting Sioux thank you.

Well that will be the official name listed in all programs, print media, etc. Also, the public address announcer at the REA every time the team comes onto the ice.

They'll have to think it through I guess.  I can say it pretty easily.

Lets try it a different way.

Say Nodak, Say Canucks .... doesn't sounds so stupid

Say UND Nodaks, Say Vancouver Canucks .... still doesn't sounds so stupid

Say Sundogs ..... NO DON'T :)

University of North Dakota Nodak, may sounds a little goofy, but people would get used to it, or just call them North Dakota. Really, I think anything will sound good, and I'll probably just say Sioux anyway, like I always have. Regardless, if it is Nodaks, they should consider using Fighting Nodaks to sound more appealing.

• UNDBIZ locked this topic