SiouxSports.com Forum

I think this is name related

Fetch

I remember hearing the threat from the NCAA that they would take a full membership vote on the matter if UND won the law suit which they would have had they not settled...I can't find any info or articles that the NCAA ever did "correct" the issue and actually have a full membership vote on this. Not saying they didn't I just don't remember them actually doing it.

They didn't have a full membership vote on it as far as I know. Instead, the full membership passed a policy giving the Executive Committee the ability to enact policies without a full membership vote, policies like the Native American nickname policy. Then the Executive Committee passed the Native American nickname policy again. All of this was done before the settlement agreement, or was in the works and was finished shortly after the settlement. The full membership passed the policy even though they knew that this was what UND was suing about. So the membership was aware that they were supporting the Native American nickname policy by giving the Executive Committee the extra power.