SiouxSports.com Forum

I think this is name related

Fetch

I see Stenehjem is considering running for Governor 

If he had done more to save our name it would be a slam dunk

Considering how I feel about his ineffectiveness I feel he deserves my negative feelings - even tho I usually lean almost completely Repub.

Just venting the name was that important to me 

I'd love to say who I think would make a great governor 

I doubt u could ever guess but I know he would be great 

Edited by Fetch

I feel the same way about Stenehjem, he was the one that negotiated that we needed to get both tribes approval. This is the only case where a school needed to get more than the closest tribes blessings. The rest were able to keep their names by just going to the closest tribe and getting their approval and they were done and off the sanctions list.

• Upvote 2

I feel the same way about Stenehjem, he was the one that negotiated that we needed to get both tribes approval. This is the only case where a school needed to get more than the closest tribes blessings. The rest were able to keep their names by just going to the closest tribe and getting their approval and they were done and off the sanctions list.

Biggest Error in all of this mess

He was a terrible attorney in private practice, so I would not have expected more from him as AG.  What UND really needed was help from NoDak's congressional stooges.  Florida State and Utah got full-throated support from their politicos at the beginning of this fiasco and it ended well for them.  Nodak's clowns were MIA.

• Upvote 4

The schools that were able to keep their names got support from their local tribes by 2006, which was the deadline to appeal. UND did not get approval from any tribes before that deadline. Through the settlement, UND got an extension until 11/30/2010 to get tribal approval. UND was the only school to get an extension. You normally have to give something to get something when making a deal. It would appear that UND got the time extension in return for having to get 2 tribes approval. Spirit Lake gave approval in 2009, which was 3 years after the original deadline. Without the settlement, that approval wouldn't have been considered by the NCAA. I'm not a big fan of Stenehjem either, but he didn't have a lot of ammunition to work with by the time they got to the settlement.

Stenehjem should have known Standing Rock did not care & their leaders were renegades

Should never have taken the deal for 2 Tribes - the name was lost right there :angry:

Edited by Fetch
  • Upvote 2

The schools that were able to keep their names got support from their local tribes by 2006, which was the deadline to appeal. UND did not get approval from any tribes before that deadline. Through the settlement, UND got an extension until 11/30/2010 to get tribal approval. UND was the only school to get an extension. You normally have to give something to get something when making a deal. It would appear that UND got the time extension in return for having to get 2 tribes approval. Spirit Lake gave approval in 2009, which was 3 years after the original deadline. Without the settlement, that approval wouldn't have been considered by the NCAA. I'm not a big fan of Stenehjem either, but he didn't have a lot of ammunition to work with by the time they got to the settlement.

With all the recent Kelley bashing and all the noise groups like "The Sioux Were Silenced" and others have made regarding the settlemet agreement UND made with the NCAA, These are the facts the either have forgotten, or choose to ignore.  They claim that UND was in favor of getting rid of the nickname from the beginning yet they forget that UND sued the NCAA over making them get tribal approval.  This process has been going on for so long, that many often forget what was done by UND in order to keep the nickname.  The settlement was the best option for UND to keep the name and was the best possible deal Stenehjem could hope for.

With all the recent Kelley bashing and all the noise groups like "The Sioux Were Silenced" and others have made regarding the settlemet agreement UND made with the NCAA, These are the facts the either have forgotten, or choose to ignore.  They claim that UND was in favor of getting rid of the nickname from the beginning yet they forget that UND sued the NCAA over making them get tribal approval.  This process has been going on for so long, that many often forget what was done by UND in order to keep the nickname.  The settlement was the best option for UND to keep the name and was the best possible deal Stenehjem could hope for.

Not to mention the majority of them are completely unaware that the settlement agreement was signed October 26, 2007 which happens to be a full 8 months before Kelley became president on July 1, 2008.

Stenehjem should have known Standing Rock did not care & their leaders were renegades

Should never have taken the deal for 2 Tribes - the name was lost right there :angry:

The only chance UND had was to make a deal. Even if they won the lawsuit, which was very questionable, the NCAA had already corrected the issue UND was suing over and had passed the same Native American name policy again. The only question is if there was something else that they would have accepted in trade for the time extension. The answer is probably no, just because they knew that the chances of Standing Rock changing their policy were slim. That was discussed at the time of the settlement, with several people saying that Standing Rock wouldn't ever support UND using the name. But if UND hadn't signed the settlement they probably would have had to drop the name in 2008 or go on the "naughty list".

His biggest screw up was not forwarding just North Dakota in the vote - plus he is a PC rube

If you are going to complain about that you should probably look at the committee since they are the ones who eliminated it, seems like that would make more sense.

Should never have taken the deal for 2 Tribes - the name was lost right there

He should have publically asked why we were held to 2 tribes - a good Lawyer would have made a bigger deal out of it (details matter) I felt like he didn't care or just was not smart enough to see how this affected the end results

I see Stenehjem is considering running for Governor 

If he had done more to save our name it would be a slam dunk

Considering how I feel about his ineffectiveness I feel he deserves my negative feelings - even tho I usually lean almost completely Repub.

He isn't much of a republican

The only chance UND had was to make a deal. Even if they won the lawsuit, which was very questionable, the NCAA had already corrected the issue UND was suing over and had passed the same Native American name policy again. The only question is if there was something else that they would have accepted in trade for the time extension. The answer is probably no, just because they knew that the chances of Standing Rock changing their policy were slim. That was discussed at the time of the settlement, with several people saying that Standing Rock wouldn't ever support UND using the name. But if UND hadn't signed the settlement they probably would have had to drop the name in 2008 or go on the "naughty list".

I remember hearing the threat from the NCAA that they would take a full membership vote on the matter if UND won the law suit which they would have had they not settled...I can't find any info or articles that the NCAA ever did "correct" the issue and actually have a full membership vote on this. Not saying they didn't I just don't remember them actually doing it.